Cooley's opinion: RG3 is going to Dallas

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we have no idea if a high-end draft QB is going to be a winner.

I think most have convinced themselves that Goff, Wentz and Lynch are all going to be fantastic NFL QBs.

Here's the thing, ole defender of all things the team will ever do, if just one of the three QBs is legit, not obtaining that player this year when you're sitting at 4 and the team with the 1st pick has it's QB and would trade out for the right price, would be a tremendous mistake. A franchise killer. For a while at least.

So you better be sure not that all three are legit, you better be sure all three are frauds. Otherwise you just completely screwed your offseason losing the opportunity to bridge from Romo to the next QB. It's the single most important and valuable thing we can do personnel wise this offseason and to miss out on it would go down as one of the worst mistakes in the Jerry era.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Im just basing it off Romo not beeing able to stay healthy. If im RGIII Ill go ahead and pretend im here just for the backup position. Jerry will never say "starting quarterback" . he would never do that to Romo.

he'll sell the backup talk and hope rg3 pans out

Yeah I agree with that but Cooley didn't take that into account. I wouldn't want any new QB coming in here thinking the job will be his at some point in the season just because he showed up.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The guy sat for a year. If he can't read NFL defenses then they shouldn't sign him. If they put him through the paces and find his mental grasp of the position is more than acceptable... then maybe he becomes a Cowboy.

He played the year before and demonstrated he could only read one side of the field at a time. One of the reasons why he was getting killed is because he wouldn't get rid of the ball on time. He doesn't strike me as the type that would pick that up from sitting on the bench.

Maybe it's not hubris on RG3's part and it was Gruden and his staff but if I'm considering him he has a lot to prove.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There is reason if signing RGIII keeps us from drafting a quality QB. We need someone ready in a year or two. If we fail to draft a high end QB now and RGIII continues to be post-2012 RGIII then we would've set ourselves back a few years and be back at square one.

I don't think we can point to signing Griffin as being the reason Dallas doesn't draft a "quality" quarterback. Anyone convinced the Cowboys are going to do that even if they don't sign Griffin is likely fooling themselves because it's doubtful Jerry will spend a premium pick on a player to sit behind Romo when he expects Romo to play another four to five years.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with that but Cooley didn't take that into account. I wouldn't want any new QB coming in here thinking the job will be his at some point in the season just because he showed up.

i agree. Cooley is out of his mind if he thinks Jerry is gona tell griffin hes our guy. do u agree tho that rg3 is an upgrade to our recent backups?

Bizwah

Reaction score

How? How does it increase or decrease anything?

All signing Griffin would do is act as an insurance policy in case a QB isn't available to us in the draft.

I guess everyone would rather us go into the offseason with no one but Romo. Then we HAVE to take a QB. That means we have to hope Wentz or Goff fall into our hands, or we overspend somewhere.

Griffin makes sense.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He played the year before and demonstrated he could only read one side of the field at a time. One of the reasons why he was getting killed is because he wouldn't get rid of the ball on time. He doesn't strike me as the type that would pick that up from sitting on the bench.

Maybe it's not hubris on RG3's part and it was Gruden and his staff but if I'm considering him he has a lot to prove.

I agree that he has a lot to prove. That's one reason we can possibly pick him up. If he was completely proven, he'd still be starting for Washington or coveted to start elsewhere. He has his issues and the question will be whether those issues can be fixed, because he also has ability.

gimmesix

Reaction score
How? How does it increase or decrease anything?

All signing Griffin would do is act as an insurance policy in case a QB isn't available to us in the draft.

I guess everyone would rather us go into the offseason with no one but Romo. Then we HAVE to take a QB. That means we have to hope Wentz or Goff fall into our hands, or we overspend somewhere.

Griffin makes sense.

I'd prefer Griffin to a lot of the backup QB options out there.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'd prefer Griffin to a lot of the backup QB options out there.

I'm not sure of who else might be out there. We have to have at least two QBs on the roster pre draft. One will be Romo....Griffin has warts, but then again what backup QB doesn't at this point?

black label

Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2013-12-16-at-2.39.27-PM.png

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
These post needs moved to the....Who gives a Crap Zone.....or open a RGme Zone....
(See ya Tony Romo its the RG me show now)

The new Dallas Triplets.....Jerry, Jason and RGme....

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the thing, ole defender of all things the team will ever do, if just one of the three QBs is legit, not obtaining that player this year when you're sitting at 4 and the team with the 1st pick has it's QB and would trade out for the right price, would be a tremendous mistake. A franchise killer. For a while at least.

So you better be sure not that all three are legit, you better be sure all three are frauds. Otherwise you just completely screwed your offseason losing the opportunity to bridge from Romo to the next QB. It's the single most important and valuable thing we can do personnel wise this offseason and to miss out on it would go down as one of the worst mistakes in the Jerry era.

I don't disagree that the decision is a big one.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
i agree. Cooley is out of his mind if he thinks Jerry is gona tell griffin hes our guy. do u agree tho that rg3 is an upgrade to our recent backups?

I wish I could say yes but Washington screwed with this guy and they continue to do so, waiting as long as possible to actually release him. He has the ability to be better than any b/u we had last year but getting that out of him will require some coaching and winning his trust.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Great, can't wait. I hope my faith in Romo is rewarded. Lord knows if we couldn't win with below average QB last year, no way will we win with a total garbage QB like RG3. What a waste of space he would be on this team.

Honestly Rg3 is better than Weeden or Cassel.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
But we have no idea if a high-end draft QB is going to be a winner.

I think most have convinced themselves that Goff, Wentz and Lynch are all going to be fantastic NFL QBs.

Goff/Wentz/Lynch may or may not be franchise QBs but they have a hell of a lot better chance than "RG3 and out" with shredded knees.

Its called "playing the percentages"

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goff/Wentz/Lynch may or may not be franchise QBs but they have a hell of a lot better chance than "RG3 and out" with shredded knees.

Its called "playing the percentages"

Nah, can't play percentages with the #4 pick. Either that guy can be a top-10 QB or you don't choose them.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The guy sat for a year. If he can't read NFL defenses then they shouldn't sign him. If they put him through the paces and find his mental grasp of the position is more than acceptable... then maybe he becomes a Cowboy.

Well the 3 guys the team signed/traded for last year went 1-11 in Romo's absence.

So the track record is not really that great with these guys when it comes to evaluating vet QBs, so why is RG3 going to be any different?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nah, can't play percentages with the #4 pick. Either that guy can be a top-10 QB or you don't choose them.

There are no guarantees in the draft.......you have to play the percentages...........and the percentages say a top 5 QB is going to be better than RG3

gimmesix

Reaction score

Depends. All three could be legit and in two to three years Dallas could draft another who is just as legit. I don't think the onus is on us to have to hit on a QB this year. I agree that we're in a great position to do that, but there's little reason to consider it one of the "worst mistakes in the Jerry era" until we see where it all leads.

Of course, those who hate everything Jones does will no doubt call it one of his worst mistakes immediately before even seeing how it turns out.