Twitter: Cooper: I know I can lead the league in all categories if given the opportunity

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dez got paid and that was the end of him. Very similar to the Zeke situation. Once the guaranteed money is gone so will the player. Cooper at least has some self respect. He has maintained a reasonable level of play. He is overpaid and we gave up too much to get him but he is not actively hurting the team like Dez or Zeke. Cooper is probably a top 10 to top 15 WR but so are about 20 other guys.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dez got paid and that was the end of him. Very similar to the Zeke situation. Once the guaranteed money is gone so will the player. Cooper at least has some self respect. He has maintained a reasonable level of play. He is overpaid and we gave up too much to get him but he is not actively hurting the team like Dez or Zeke. Cooper is probably a top 10 to top 15 WR but so are about 20 other guys.

LMAO 20 guys are top 10... You can't make this stuff up.. Man thanks for the laugh.. no the guffaws.. Really got the morning off to a good start.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Picsart-22-01-07-02-56-31-988.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words...:confused:

PFR has Cooper credited with 3 drops on the season. He is WAY down the list. Chase has 11. Samuel and Kelce have 10. Lamb has 8.

They have Cooper at 100 on the list when sorted by drop%, at 3.1%. For reference, the top ten worst in drop% are between 13.8% and 8.8%.

Cute picture, though.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
well, when you don't get protection and DEs are on you in 3 seconds, down field plays don't get time to develop.
The Cowboys are 20th on the list of most sacks given up. 19 teams have given up more sacks

Dak is 28th in pressure percentage. That's right. 27 QB's face more pressure than Dak does.

Dak is in a group ranked third in pocket time at 2.4 seconds. The group ranked 2nd had 2.5 seconds. Jalen Hurts stands alone at the top of the list with a whopping 2.7 seconds.

Pass protection is not the problem.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
PFR has Cooper credited with 3 drops on the season. He is WAY down the list. Chase has 11. Samuel and Kelce have 10. Lamb has 8.

They have Cooper at 100 on the list when sorted by drop%, at 3.1%. For reference, the top ten worst in drop% are between 13.8% and 8.8%.

Cute picture, though.

Stuff like drops are tough because it's subjective. What some call a drop, others call a bad pass. Still others call it a pass break up because the DB got a pinky on it. I don't think Coop has had a ton of drops to be honest.. but he HAS had too many instances where he has surrendered inside positioning on slants which have allowed the DB to have a better play on the ball than he. IMHO that's a bigger problem between him and Dak than drops.. Cooper's hands are VERY reliable but he has to notice when a DB is jumping the route on the in cuts and adjust accordingly.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I love that Amari is speaking out but he also has to understand that the team needs him to show up when the game is played on grass, and not just on field turf.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Stuff like drops are tough because it's subjective. What some call a drop, others call a bad pass. Still others call it a pass break up because the DB got a pinky on it. I don't think Coop has had a ton of drops to be honest.. but he HAS had too many instances where he has surrendered inside positioning on slants which have allowed the DB to have a better play on the ball than he. IMHO that's a bigger problem between him and Dak than drops.. Cooper's hands are VERY reliable but he has to notice when a DB is jumping the route on the in cuts and adjust accordingly.
I agree about the subjectivity of drop classification. I just read a good article on that from PFF.

I find it fascinating that Cooper is credited with both saving the 2018 season and with being one of the best route runners in the league yet now he is being vilified by some here at the Zone.

I like Cooper but I don't love him. If he had a bit more dog in him I'd love him.

He is not the problem though.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The Cowboys are 20th on the list of most sacks given up. 19 teams have given up more sacks

Dak is 28th in pressure percentage. That's right. 27 QB's face more pressure than Dak does.

Dak is in a group ranked third in pocket time at 2.4 seconds. The group ranked 2nd had 2.5 seconds. Jalen Hurts stands alone at the top of the list with a whopping 2.7 seconds.

How many more sacks would they have given up were it not for Dak running out of trouble or Zeke picking up the leakage? Stats in a vaccum only tell part of the story as you know.. Dak is far and away the most blitzed QB in the league. He has been blitzed on 182 of his 598 dropbacks. That's 30.4% just on blitzes and does not take into account pressure without blitzing which we've all seen plenty of in recent weeks. Something doesn't add up there. Also where are you getting your numbers? This site (https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php) says Hurts is at 2.6 seconds. Tied with the beer guy in DC and Foles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

well, that's season stats....what has it been lately? since the denver game? against AZ he was harrased all the time and not only him, the RBs couldn't take one step forward without being hit in the back field. the OL was horrible against AZ.....Chandler jones abused Smith and Smith was very average in that game. I counted multiple plays where the OL men were just standing there and trying to figure out who to block, and were blocking air. specially in the middle and in the meantime, the tackles had to deal with multiple pass rushers....

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
How many more sacks would they have given up were it not for Dak running out of trouble or Zeke picking up the leakage? Stats in a vaccum only tell part of the story as you know.. Dak is far and away the most blitzed QB in the league. He has been blitzed on 182 of his 598 dropbacks. That's 30.4% just on blitzes and does not take into account pressure without blitzing which we've all seen plenty of in recent weeks. Something doesn't add up there. Also where are you getting your numbers? This site (https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php) says Hurts is at 2.6 seconds. Tied with the beer guy in DC and Foles.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing_advanced.htm

It would be interesting to see the splits on blitz percentage, first half of the season vs second half.

I remember a lot of talk about defenses backing off on the blitz because Dak and the offense was very good at picking up the blitz and making them pay for the man coverage so defenses changed it up and went to the less pressure more deception with the coverage. That's eye test and memory on my part so I don't know for sure.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I agree about the subjectivity of drop classification. I just read a good article on that from PFF.

I find it fascinating that Cooper is credited with both saving the 2018 season and with being one of the best route runners in the league yet now he is being vilified by some here at the Zone.

I like Cooper but I don't love him. If he had a bit more dog in him I'd love him.

He is not the problem though.

This is the bottom line. But in reality it's the bottom line with any attempt to blame ANY one player or coach for what ails this offense. They are ALL playing a part.. Dak, the backs, the line, the receivers, the tight ends, the coaches.. Everybody needs to be better. This is football.. 10 guys can do their jobs to perfection on a play and it can still fail because one guy didn't. The good news for us Cowboys fans is that every member of that group CAN be better.. except the tight ends.. at least not when it comes to blocking.. They're not going to get any better at blocking any time soon. So the play calling needs to reflect that reality and quit asking them to block defensive ends.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Care to elaborate?
"There are Lies, dam lies, then there are stats".
I know what I see. I see our line get pushed back. I see our QB tripping over their feet...as he's backing up!

Stats can be useful with context...but they don;t tell the whole story. I won't blame only the oline for any offensive problems but I won't completely absolve them either.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the bottom line. But in reality it's the bottom line with any attempt to blame ANY one player or coach for what ails this offense. They are ALL playing a part.. Dak, the backs, the line, the receivers, the tight ends, the coaches.. Everybody needs to be better. This is football.. 10 guys can do their jobs to perfection on a play and it can still fail because one guy didn't. The good news for us Cowboys fans is that every member of that group CAN be better.. except the tight ends.. at least not when it comes to blocking.. They're not going to get any better at blocking any time soon. So the play calling needs to reflect that reality and quit asking them to block defensive ends.
Amen!

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
well, that's season stats....what has it been lately? since the denver game? against AZ he was harrased all the time and not only him, the RBs couldn't take one step forward without being hit in the back field. the OL was horrible against AZ.....Chandler jones abused Smith and Smith was very average in that game. I counted multiple plays where the OL men were just standing there and trying to figure out who to block, and were blocking air. specially in the middle and in the meantime, the tackles had to deal with multiple pass rushers....
Last three games he is 15th at 2.3 sacks per game.

Couple other interesting numbers.
Home- 1.6 sacks/game, Third best in the league.
Away- 2.4 sacks/game, Twentieth best in the league.

Last season- 2.8 sacks per game, 25th best in the league.

No matter how you cut it, the Cowboys are far from the worst at pass protection.

In another thread I posted these stats and the comparison with Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes. Dak had better protection than all of them.