Cooper Rush arm strength is concerning

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whoa -- all of a sudden, we seem to have a problem with Rush's backup worth.
I recall when a few of us here somehow believed he should replace Dak! :huh:

If we were to cut him in favor of anyone else, he'd just be signed in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The biggest disappointment of the game is Cooper Rush. He may know the playbook and work well with the second team, but his arm strength is concerning. He also reminds me too much of Garrett.

I would prefer us to go with Trey Lance as the second QB. Jerry traded for him, and it's time to see what we've got in him. Cutting Rush, which they probably won't do, would be a better alternative.

Rush won't win games. When he filled in for Dak, it was the defense that won us games, not Rush. I wish they would just replace him. We can find better prospects than him.
His lack of athleticism scares me, his arm is fine at times, he's just a STIFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Coop, but I'd bet if we cut him no one else would pick him up. Not sure with the new rules if he's PS eligible, but if he was I would stash him there, make Lance the number 2 and call him up if slak got injured.
LANCE AT this point too!

Creeper

Reaction score
The only reason I would play Lance at this point is because I want to trade him. I am hoping he shines in the last preseason game so the rest of the league is fooled by his performance and teams start making Dallas offers for him. If I am Dallas, I do not want to have to pay him next year. He is not taking Dak's job. They gave up a 4th round pick for him, maybe they can get a 3rd back if he plays well.

There are teams that need a backup, and some that might be willing to start him. I would love one of them to make Dallas an offer.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Besides the defense, he didn't turn the ball over in those wins. Dallas only gave up 19 points to the 49ers in our last playoff game with them, our D didn't win there.
Right. He literally won the games. If he lost the game you could bet the blame would be on him. Let’s not pretend like he didn’t make some big time throws when the moment needed it

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Today's game cherishes hybrid mobile quarterbacks

Lance's athleticism and good enough arm strength make him viable......it's those things that can't be coached.

Probably one off the biggest reasons Trevor Lawrence was given the bag....potential
Yeah but there are a bunch of mobile guys. Tyler Huntley with a pro bowl signed for 1.2 million. Lance is closer to him than Lawrence.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yeah but there are a bunch of mobile guys. Tyler Huntley with a pro bowl signed for 1.2 million. Lance is closer to him than Lawrence.
Huntley may be a pretty fair comp.....Trey really has a very small sample size though.

I see the good , bad and the ugly so far though

erod

Reaction score
The biggest disappointment of the game is Cooper Rush. He may know the playbook and work well with the second team, but his arm strength is concerning. He also reminds me too much of Garrett.

I would prefer us to go with Trey Lance as the second QB. Jerry traded for him, and it's time to see what we've got in him. Cutting Rush, which they probably won't do, would be a better alternative.

Rush won't win games. When he filled in for Dak, it was the defense that won us games, not Rush. I wish they would just replace him. We can find better prospects than him.
If Rush had arm strength, Dak would have been gone long ago.

Lance has arm strength, but he had no accuracy downfield whatsoever. That why he has no confidence to throw it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Rush has proven he is a viable and capable backup in the NFL, it has taken three years of NFL coaching to show that Lance MIGHT develop into a viable NFL backup

shabazz

Reaction score
Of who Lance?
Yup....Good athleticism and movement, Bad decisions at times, and some Ugly throws at times.

But, he is showing minor PROGRESS so far and I just wish we had 2 more preseason games for him to evaluate because unless either Dak gets hurt AND he beats out Rush, he's gonna get boxed up and mothballed till 2025

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yup....Good athleticism and movement, Bad decisions at times, and some Ugly throws at times.

But, he is showing minor PROGRESS so far and I just wish we had 2 more preseason games for him to evaluate because unless either Dak gets hurt AND he beats out Rush, he's gonna get boxed up and mothballed till 2025
I was pissed off last week because I knew he was better than that. He was better than that as a 49er so I was trying to figure out how he got worse.

Maybe it was first game jitters but last night is closer to what I was thing we were getting.

Much better and yeah I can see his flaws but he has to utilize his legs to make the game easier for himself. His mechanics and the consistency of his accuracy is all over the place but that was much better. I’m glad he’s getting the 3 quarters and playing with all levels of talent. It would be nice to get a series or two with Tolbert and Cooks.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If Rush had arm strength, Dak would have been gone long ago.

Lance has arm strength, but he had no accuracy downfield whatsoever. That why he has no confidence to throw it.
Lance had one good throw deep in the last quarter. Still I would take him over noodle arm Cooper Rush.

pansophy

Reaction score
It's the same arm strength he has always had. Not sure why that was the biggest disappointment of the game when nothing has changed.
I actually feel like it has gotten better. A few years ago it seemed like the ball travelled forever.

Mark

Reaction score
...the only thing concerning is why Lance hasn't beat [Rush] out yet for the number 2 spot.
My sense is that it's just a matter of reps & trust at this point. Rush brings to the table 7+ years in the Cowboys system, and experience as a starter. Lance has but a few quarters of preseason action to date.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Rush is diffidently the best option after Prescott. Lance will get eaten up by 1st string defenses. In two preseason games Lance has proven that he's not close to being a starter or No 2 QB in the NFL, he's just not. He may get a few yards with his legs here and there, but when it comes to beating teams with his arm, that's a completely different story, that's not going to happen.