Cooper Rush arm strength is concerning

Chasing6

Reaction score
I was thinking thr same - nothing concerning about Cooper Rush as he is what he is at this point...the only thing concerning is why Lance hasn't beat him out yet for the number 2 spot.
What is the point of having a big arm if all you do is throw 5 yard passes?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Rush lack of arm strength is already a liability. Watch how the defense can already defend the pass when Rush is in there. Rush doesn't offer anything special.
Rush is far and away the best option after Prescott. Lance has played the majority of both preseason games against 2nd, 3rd stringers, practice squad players and dudes who will be doing something different than playing in the NFL and he hasn't thrown a TD yet. He should be abusing the defenses he's facing and he's struggling to hit his targets in the chest! Trade Lance to the Raiders for a decent pick or two.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Rush is far and away the best option after Prescott. Lance has played the majority of both preseason games against 2nd, 3rd stringers, practice squad players and dudes who will be doing something different than playing in the NFL and he hasn't thrown a TD yet. He should be abusing the defenses he's facing and he's struggling to hit his targets in the chest! Trade Lance to the Raiders for a decent pick or two.
All MM is doing is proving that GM Jethro made a very bad trade.

1time4urMind

Reaction score
The biggest disappointment of the game is Cooper Rush. He may know the playbook and work well with the second team, but his arm strength is concerning. He also reminds me too much of Garrett.

I would prefer us to go with Trey Lance as the second QB. Jerry traded for him, and it's time to see what we've got in him. Cutting Rush, which they probably won't do, would be a better alternative.

Rush won't win games. When he filled in for Dak, it was the defense that won us games, not Rush. I wish they would just replace him. We can find better prospects than him.

Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Deshaun Watson, Joe Montana, Teddy Bridgewater... All these guys had good NFL careers without strong arms.

He's a backup who has won more starts than most career backups.

The defense wasn't playing like THAT in those games. The OP is a poor analysis.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Deshaun Watson, Joe Montana, Teddy Bridgewater... All these guys had good NFL careers without strong arms.

He's a backup who has won more starts than most career backups.

The defense wasn't playing like THAT in those games. The OP is a poor analysis.
How did Demarcus Russel do with his big arm???

Qcard

Reaction score
The biggest disappointment of the game is Cooper Rush. He may know the playbook and work well with the second team, but his arm strength is concerning. He also reminds me too much of Garrett.

I would prefer us to go with Trey Lance as the second QB. Jerry traded for him, and it's time to see what we've got in him. Cutting Rush, which they probably won't do, would be a better alternative.

Rush won't win games. When he filled in for Dak, it was the defense that won us games, not Rush. I wish they would just replace him. We can find better prospects than him.
I was just shocked at how many 5 -1 Win Rate Coop Troope fans disappeared after Trey's 25% Red Zone performance in the Preseason. :laugh: :laugh: :lmao:

GINeric

Reaction score

I think Rush has been a good, solid, serviceable backup and I appreciate him for that.

With that said, I've always found it hilarious and insane that people mentioned his name in the same breath with Dak as far as taking over as a full time starter.

Then they bring up the 5 game win streak.... LOOOOL!!!!

They act like Rush willed us to those 5 wins. Rush can barely pass for over 100 yards per game. His contributions helped in that win streak but we ALL saw what happened to him when the film caught up with him.... the Eagles made him look like a junior college quarterback.

Rush is a career backup at best and that's OK. But he doesn't have the arm strength to play Division 1 college football.

GINeric

Reaction score
If Rush had arm strength, he’d be starting somewhere…

Rush has been in the league for 8 years and has bounced on and off practice squads most of his career. That's why when others pumped him up, it was comical.

31 other GMs and coaches didn't get the same memo as some here did.

GINeric

Reaction score
Cooper Rush is better than Dak.

So Rush, a practice squad and career backup quarterback is better than Dak, a perennial top 10, All-Pro and MVP candidate quarterback??

1. Based on what?

2. Why haven't the other 31 GMs, scouts and coaches seen what you saw in Rush yet in 8 whole years?

3. If Rush was better than Dak, that means he's top 10. If he's top 10, why haven't he gotten a starting job and a max contract from ANY of the 32 teams yet?

4. What dispensary do you go to?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
So Rush, a practice squad and career backup quarterback is better than Dak, a perennial top 10, All-Pro and MVP candidate quarterback??

1. Based on what?

2. Why haven't the other 31 GMs, scouts and coaches seen what you saw in Rush yet in 8 whole years?

3. If Rush was better than Dak, that means he's top 10. If he's top 10, why haven't he gotten a starting job and a max contract from ANY of the 32 teams yet?

You really took the time to answer this nonsense in such detail? Cudos.

:thumbup:

leeblair

Reaction score

1. Based on what?

We've all seen Rush outplay Dak. It's not even close.
The NFL is no longer the final word in talent evaluation, and it's why they are not as good as they once we're.
Dak got the big contract and Jerry wasn't going to look bad by not using him, even though Rush is better.
Hopefully, that will be rectified after this season.
If it isn't, the Cowboys are done.

GINeric

Reaction score
We've all seen Rush outplay Dak. It's not even close.
The NFL is no longer the final word in talent evaluation, and it's why they are not as good as they once we're.
Dak got the big contract and Jerry wasn't going to look bad by not using him, even though Rush is better.
Hopefully, that will be rectified after this season.
If it isn't, the Cowboys are done.

Again.... Dak is a perennial top 10 quarterback, made All-Pro and became an MVP candidate.

So you're saying that Rush is a top 10 quarterback who's better than an All-Pro/ MVP candidate?

And you're also saying that ALLLLLL of these other 31 team's GMs, coaches and scouts totally ignore how special Rush is in your eyes??? You REALLY believe Rush is a top 10 quarterback and can become All Pro and a MVP candidate?????

leeblair

Reaction score
Again.... Dak is a perennial top 10 quarterback, made All-Pro and became an MVP candidate.

So you're saying that Rush is a top 10 quarterback who's better than an All-Pro/ MVP candidate?

And you're also saying that ALLLLLL of these other 31 team's GMs, coaches and scouts totally ignore how special Rush is in your eyes??? You REALLY believe Rush is a top 10 quarterback and can become All Pro and a MVP candidate?????
I think Rush would take the Cowboys farther as a starter than Dak has.
Is that clear enough for you?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I think Rush is a garbage QB. In my opinion he shouldn’t even be in the league and I marvel at the support he has.
Dude is 5-1 for his career so...He may not be the reason they won but he didn't contribute to losing a bunch of games which is what you really want from your backup.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
lol...his arm strength was always mediocre but his intelligence and composure made up for it. IMO, he's one of the top true QB2s in this league and we're in a very fortunate situation to have him. Like someone else stated, if he had more arm strength, he'd be bouncing around the league competing for the lower QB1 spots.

By contrast, Lance at this point is a basic QB3 that hopes he can be a QB2 someday.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
Maybe. But he sure will change the dynamics of our offense if he is in there. Rush offers nothing. He knows the plays. But should not even be a backup in the NFL.
Against actual NFL players and a real NFL defense with real NFL disguises and schemes, Trey Lance would struggle mightily to manage some first downs and 100 yards of passing in a game.

I'm intrigued by the kid, but he is MILES away from being a starting NFL quarterback.

Rush knows where the ball should go, but he's limited by his lack of arm talent. He can still win a game against a mediocre team. Lance can't.

That's just where it stands currently.