Cooper Rush Failed

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Rush did his job as a back up QB. He didn't lose us every game. It's time for Dak. Rush started doing the things loser QBs do in crunch time. Throw all short passes way short of the sticks when nervous. I hate three yard passes when we need 80 yards, or when it is 3rd and 15. Dak and Cooper LOVE THOSE!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cowboy fans are ungrateful.
Because we realize he played poorly last night? I haven't seen any "Rush needs to be cut!" threads, just honest, realistic statements (the "Rush wasn't bad" thread notwithstanding). Most everyone appreciates that he's done enough to keep us in contention.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Near zero probability of winning with 3 INTs vs a good team.

The defense held the Eagles to the 2nd lowest total yards and lowest passing yards of any opponent this season.

The Eagles offense had a short field multiple times. The 85 Bears defense would not win that type of game.
He was petrified.
we need a qb immediately- he’s awful

lukin2006

Reaction score
The coaching staff failed. They failed to have this team prepared for a big game…this team played 1 quarter in Philly and only lost by 9.

fansince68

Reaction score
I did too. Philly has a fantastic top to bottom defense. Gotta make tight window throws and throw receivers open. Not to mention have to have the arm to drive the ball down the field when the opportunities are there.
So what you are saying, we lose this game even with Dak...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Because we realize he played poorly last night? I haven't seen any "Rush needs to be cut!" threads, just honest, realistic statements (the "Rush wasn't bad" thread notwithstanding). Most everyone appreciates that he's done enough to keep us in contention.
Saying he failed is unnecessary.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
In the Cowboys Game Preshow the fellas went over their main key to winning. Isaiah Stanback said Cooper had to have 300 yards and 3 TDs. Didn’t think this was a team you could beat with the previous MO. I feel like that is what Kellen thought too and unleashed him a little. I agree more with Nate Newton who said the only key was not to have mistakes. It’s a dominant team that you can’t beat if the game gets out of hand (even though we definitely gave it a good try.). Too many early throws, throwing on short yardage, and you could tell Zeke was finding his rhythm. Different QBs, different head coaches, same offensive coordinator.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just think of the disappointment his wife must have felt. She blew those airline miles to see that debacle.

Rush should have told her that it was probably best to stay home. I know players have to be confident, but if he didn't see struggling in this one as a distinct possibility that borders on delusion.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Cooper Rush succeeded. The Cowboys went 4-1 during his time. Rush helped save the season after QB got booed and injured for 5 weeks. I don't get the need to try and talk down on him, like everyone knows he's a backup and he did good.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Or maybe the Eagles are just better. Better offense, one of the best DB core in football, better coach, better GM.

Rush made plenty of mistakes, but he had a near zero margin of error entering the game. That quick start by the Eagles sealed the game. But in the end, the Eagles are just a better team.
I disagree. Without the 3 turnovers, a poorly spotted ball, and a stupid penalty by our best player, we may have still pulled out a win.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, pile on Rush....what a surprise. Yes, he played poorly the 1st half and his 3 INT's were bad. However, he led Dallas back to a 20-17 deficit early in the 4th quarter and the defense failed to stop Philly from driving 75 yards in 8:00 to seal the game. Also, what about the stupid 4th and 1 pass call on their own 30 down 14-0, the failure to challenge the result of the preceeding 3rd down play, and the piss poor OC's decision to go pass happy when the running game was working in the 1st half????? Oh, and what about all the bad penalties?????

So just like so many say Dak isn;t to blame for everything in a loss, neither is Rush.
I don't think I saw anything that put the full blame on Rush. That said, the defense spent far too much time on the field without much of a break in the first half.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cooper Rush did great going 4-1. Cooper Rush went 4-1 because of the defense, not Cooper Rush.

Not completely true. He led game-winning drives in two or three of the games.

The truth is always far more complicated than fans want to make it. There are multiple failures in losses and multiple successes in victories. Rush contributed to our victories, which is more than I expected, and he contributed to this loss.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dak has to lead us to 4 straight wins to match what Rush lead us to in 5 games.

I have a feeling if we go 3-2 in our next 5 you won't be saying "Dak failed".
We all should be. Rush failed last night, but that doesn't mean Dak should get a free pass. Dak's last two games the Cowboys have scored 3 and 17 points. After last night the Cowboys have to go back to Dak, but I have a serious feeling that Dak is playing for his job in 2023. He has to play better than he did the back half of 2021. He is more than capable, but we have seen that this team can win games with a back up QB. We are seeing a lot of teams have success with mediocre QBs. Marcus Mariota has Atlanta winning games. Bailey Zappe has NE winning games. Zach Wilson has done his best Cooper Rush impression to be 3-0. The Gians are somehow 5-1 with a QB they declined the 5th year option on. Seattle is someone decent with Geno Smith. Minnesota is thriving with Cousins.

QBs with less talent are doing more with less than Dak has, at least in recent history. Let's see what Dak can do with this team, especially now that they have a bit of an identity. It's an interesting year with the QB position though as teams are having success with young and/ or cheap and succeeding.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Yeah, pile on Rush....what a surprise. Yes, he played poorly the 1st half and his 3 INT's were bad. However, he led Dallas back to a 20-17 deficit early in the 4th quarter

I think some people turned the game off at halftime and didn't see the 2nd half.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cooper Rush succeeded. The Cowboys went 4-1 during his time. Rush helped save the season after QB got booed and injured for 5 weeks. I don't get the need to try and talk down on him, like everyone knows he's a backup and he did good.
The OP is speaking only about this particular game.