Correction: Giants request permission to speak with Garrett for now-filled HC role (Post 227)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks JG would actually do well in the Giants as an OC? Because with our luck, he will.

I think we saw the peak of what he can do as an offensive coordinator, which really is not that bad but not enough to win shootouts against better offenses like the Packers. Paired with a top defense, though, his conservative, mano-a-mano style could be enough. There is some value to running a system that focuses primarily on execution.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Smart move, insurance for them if their experiment backfires and they've shown they will pull the plug fast. Isn't it interesting that the Giants are asking permission? What's their new HC think about that?

So Garrett either takes a step back or sits out in 2020, unless he thinks the openings are not all out there yet. I am surprised ATL hasn't fired Quinn and years ago, they wanted Garrett.

The Atlanta/Baltimore " interest" in Garrett is what caused JJ to appoint him HC , and retain him....

Now we see years later they are breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't hire him.

After all he was a backup QB, and has proved to be a backup HC at best with the way he lead the team to .500 ball

Reaction score
Giants will hire Garrett as OC and Wade as DC - both very experienced and both former head coaches with the ability to guide their first time HC. And to stick it to the Cowboys. Although - could Garrett and Wade coexist after the way things ended with Wade?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The New York Giants have requested to speak with and interview former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, but it's not about their previously vacant head coaching spot. The Giants have filled their head coaching vacancy by hiring former New England Patriots wide receivers and special teams assistant coach Joe Judge. The Giants are now bringing in Garrett to interview for their offensive coordinator position under Judge, according to ESPN's Ed Werder.

This news drops in the aftermath of the Giants losing out of their alleged top candidate for the gig in Matt Rhule, a New York native, who just inked a deal to become the next head coach of the Carolina Panthers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...kapgWOX0ywinJVWuoCY4W7z0ceSHsczHEuE0Pmi7NPx2A

glimmerman

Reaction score
JG as OC with his 90’s playbook. No way. And him calling the plays.

quickccc

Reaction score
LOL .... that's all fine and good, either Giants take on that Josh Daniel offense ..or they'll revert to Garrett's 90's stone age offense.

you would think it would be the other way around with Garrett being the HC .... and this Pats WR coach being named the OC.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Please hire Jason Garrett as your offensive coordinator.

With that Oline and his play designs it would be bad on their young QB.

Surely Joe Jude would want to implement the Patriots playbook.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sources: Giants to hire Judge, eye Garrett as OC

i

Joe Judge, who has been mentored by Alabama's Nick Saban and the Patriots' Bill Belichick, is near a deal to replace Pat Shurmur as head coach of the Giants. He is just 38.

Read Full Story

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Again "sources" gives the "insider" the ability to speculate but make it sound "official" because of using sources. As I've said many many times, if you have REAL sources, NAME THEM, otherwise it's just speculation. Unless the giants were going to pull a Jones trick and hire a OC before hiring their new head coach but most teams don't do that and since Garrett was released on Sunday morning I again say just speculation.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Please hire Jason Garrett as your offensive coordinator.

With that Oline and his play designs it would be bad on their young QB.

Surely Joe Jude would want to implement the Patriots playbook.
I don’t recall Garrett ever being “bad”. Hope for his sake he tweaks that playbook to be closer to 2020 than 1920.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don’t recall Garrett ever being “bad”. Hope for his sake he tweaks that playbook to be closer to 2020 than 1920.

He's bad. He just has good players.

Just because he got decent results doesn't mean he was doing his job. There are just some players that can make plays regardless of coaching and Tony Romo and Dez Bryant are 2 of those types of guys.

Flamma

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks JG would actually do well in the Giants as an OC? Because with our luck, he will.

Nope, you're not the only one. He was our OC for that 2007 season. Truth is, I really don't know. Coordinators don't always do well as head coaches. So I wouldn't judge him based on his coaching job. He may do very well as OC.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Just because he got decent results doesn't mean he was doing his job. There are just some players that can make plays regardless of coaching and Tony Romo and Dez Bryant are 2 of those types of guys.
So the Giants don’t have good players lol?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Those plays you were talking about for Bryant are all the plays he dropped passes to lead the league in drops?