Could Cooper Rush be the catalyst that helps Trey Lance really become "the guy"?

leeblair

Reaction score
If the Cowboys really are ready to move on from Dak, I dare say it will be Cooper Rush who will be the one who makes the difference in whether Trey Lance is able to step up. Rush was very successful in his time as the starter, and his leadership was felt by the entire team as they responded by winning five of the six games he started. While he may not have the arm strength that the Cowboys want in a starter, his ability to lead the offense was established as first rate. I can't see the Cowboys wanting to let him slip away in free agency, seeing as how he has proven that he can be the backup they need in case of an emergency.
With McCarthy stating that Lance will get a lot of the snaps in preseason, we very well could be seeing the Trey Lance/Cooper Rush show that the Cowboys hope to have after Dak is gone.
While he is running the offense along side Dak in practice, it's very possible that Rush’s tutuledge has been the reason that he is up to speed and ready to physically take the reigns of the McCarthy system.
So the 2024 preseason may well be a glimpse of the starter/backup system for years to come, and Cooper Rush may well be the constant that helps the Cowboys over the hump in getting rid of the disaster of the past eight seasons.

GINeric

Reaction score
Rush is a serviceable backup and nothing more. There is a reason he spent his 7, 8 year career bouncing on and off practice squads.

Rush barely averaged 100 yards passing. Rush is not equipped to be a full time starter. Once the film caught up to him, he looked like a junior college quarterback. What was it 3 or 4 interceptions against the the Eagles???

I'd rather just give Lance a shot. Rush has been a career backup for a reason.

Flamma

Reaction score
Rush is a serviceable backup and nothing more. There is a reason he spent his 7, 8 year career bouncing on and off practice squads.

Rush barely averaged 100 yards passing. Rush is not equipped to be a full time starter. Once the film caught up to him, he looked like a junior college quarterback. What was it 3 or 4 interceptions against the the Eagles???

Although I don't disagree, as long as a good team surrounds him, we still beat the teams we're supposed to beat with Rush. I don't think we win that game against the Eagles with Dak either. However, we don't win the 2nd game against the Eagles with Rush.

RoboQB

Reaction score

Correction: Rush barely averaged 175 yards passing.
Film didn't have to catch up to him. When he had to play from behind, it exposed him.
I agree though, 100%. If given the choice, I'd rather just
start Lance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If the Cowboys really are ready to move on from Dak, I dare say it will be Cooper Rush who will be the one who makes the difference in whether Trey Lance is able to step up. Rush was very successful in his time as the starter, and his leadership was felt by the entire team as they responded by winning five of the six games he started. While he may not have the arm strength that the Cowboys want in a starter, his ability to lead the offense was established as first rate. I can't see the Cowboys wanting to let him slip away in free agency, seeing as how he has proven that he can be the backup they need in case of an emergency.
With McCarthy stating that Lance will get a lot of the snaps in preseason, we very well could be seeing the Trey Lance/Cooper Rush show that the Cowboys hope to have after Dak is gone.
While he is running the offense along side Dak in practice, it's very possible that Rush’s tutuledge has been the reason that he is up to speed and ready to physically take the reigns of the McCarthy system.
So the 2024 preseason may well be a glimpse of the starter/backup system for years to come, and Cooper Rush may well be the constant that helps the Cowboys over the hump in getting rid of the disaster of the past eight seasons.
Yes. If Rush intentionally plays like crap in camp he would possibly catapult him into QB2.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Because he is good at it.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Film didn't have to catch up to him. When he had to play from behind, it exposed him.
start Lance.
And the Dallas defense only gave up 53 points in the 4 games Rush won. With the weapons Dallas had on offense there are probably quite a few QBs that could win 4 games with a defense giving up only 13 points per game. The game against Philly exposed him for what he is. He is weak armed and throws lollipop passes that hang in the air forever.

RoboQB

Reaction score
And the Dallas defense only gave up 53 points in the 4 games Rush won. With the weapons Dallas had on offense there are probably quite a few QBs that could win 4 games with a defense giving up only 13 points per game. The game against Philly exposed him for what he is. He is weak armed and throws lollipop passes that hang in the air forever.
I thought I covered that by saying he got exposed once he had to play from behind. Buy hey, if you just wanna hurt the guys feelings, he's just another red-headed pop-gun armed backup QB in Dallas Cowboys lore...lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I saw it more as the defense stepping up while playing with an inferior QB. When the defense failed to do that (against Philly) and more was put on Rush's shoulders, he crumbled (three interceptions, 47 percent completion rate). Lance gives us the possibility of having a better backup, at least skillwise. If he isn't up to the challenge, then we'll be looking for another better backup to challenge Rush next year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You call Cooper Rush the catalyst, I call him the sacrificial lamb.

RoboQB

Reaction score
For the record, and clarity, I would be 100% behind having
Lance as a starter and Rush as a backup.
There was a time when "everyone loved the backup QB".
All the way back to high school. As backup QBs go, Dallas has one of the better situations in the NFL. I'm certain that Rush could beat the Giants twice every year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Rush is the ultimate relief pitcher.

Not a full time starter.

But he will get you a win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For the record, and clarity, I would be 100% behind having
Lance as a starter and Rush as a backup.
There was a time when "everyone loved the backup QB".
All the way back to high school. As backup QBs go, Dallas has one of the better situations in the NFL. I'm certain that Rush could beat the Giants twice every year.
He’s not gonna beat too many opponents throwing for 180 yards…..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
start Lance.
Rush isn’t a starter.

He’s a ‘relief pitcher.’

He gets the win.

He’s very good at that role.

shabazz

Reaction score
Both Dak and Rush will have things they can impart on the young qb.....the best of both worlds but obviously mentoring can only go so far