Could Cooper Rush be the catalyst that helps Trey Lance really become "the guy"?

Jimbo123

Reaction score
If Rush was so good, why have he spent most of his career on and off of practice squads? Why isn't he starting somewhere in the league???

He's been in the league going on 8 years now. I guess 31 other GMs, scouts and offensive coordinators didn't see Rush the way you do.

With that said, other than last season.... where did Dak normally rank in interceptions??

I'll wait.....
He's a Phenom. He just needs a chance to ball out. Brock Purdy II

GINeric

Reaction score
THIS guy..is SURELY the one that called for us to "TANK NOW!" when Dak went down.

He hates Coop ever since.

When Dak went down, I was actually happy that Coop was serviceable and solid enough to fill in for a few games. He did an admirable job.

I'm actually on record here during that time stating that if he was able to lead us past the Eagles, I thought that he should have kept the starting job even when Dak got healthy. But..... 4 games of game film caught up to him and the Eagles made him look like a junior college quarterback.

With that said, please show the post or thread I said I've ever "hated Coop". When did I say this? Back up your BS with facts/proof/evidence. If you can't provide when, where and how I said this, why are you on here lying on people? Grow up kid.

If you're going to speak facts, speak facts. It's no need to tell lies. It's weak *** people like you that F up the great threads and convos on this board.

leeblair

Reaction score
When Dak went down, I was actually happy that Coop was serviceable and solid enough to fill in for a few games. He did an admirable job.

I'm actually on record here during that time stating that if he was able to lead us past the Eagles, I thought that he should have kept the starting job even when Dak got healthy. But..... 4 games of game film caught up to him and the Eagles made him look like a junior college quarterback.

With that said, please show the post or thread I said I've ever "hated Coop". When did I say this? Back up your BS with facts/proof/evidence. If you can't provide when, where and how I said this, why are you on here lying on people? Grow up kid.

If you're going to speak facts, speak facts. It's no need to tell lies. It's weak *** people like you that F up the great threads and convos on this board.
The Eagles didn't make Rush look bad.
The defense and Michael Gallup, with some help from the officials ensured an Eagles win.
The Cowboys might have won the Super Bowl that season if Rush had stayed in at quarterback.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys really are ready to move on from Dak, I dare say it will be Cooper Rush who will be the one who makes the difference in whether Trey Lance is able to step up. Rush was very successful in his time as the starter, and his leadership was felt by the entire team as they responded by winning five of the six games he started. While he may not have the arm strength that the Cowboys want in a starter, his ability to lead the offense was established as first rate. I can't see the Cowboys wanting to let him slip away in free agency, seeing as how he has proven that he can be the backup they need in case of an emergency.
With McCarthy stating that Lance will get a lot of the snaps in preseason, we very well could be seeing the Trey Lance/Cooper Rush show that the Cowboys hope to have after Dak is gone.
While he is running the offense along side Dak in practice, it's very possible that Rush’s tutuledge has been the reason that he is up to speed and ready to physically take the reigns of the McCarthy system.
So the 2024 preseason may well be a glimpse of the starter/backup system for years to come, and Cooper Rush may well be the constant that helps the Cowboys over the hump in getting rid of the disaster of the past eight seasons.
You seem to be saying that Cooper Rush is a better QB coach than anybody on the Cowboys or Niners coaching staff...

Trey Lance has a chace to become a legit NFL starting QB at some point but probably not because he is being coached up by the guy competing for a job with him.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Interesting how he led the league in TD's last season and had the second highest 4:1 TD to interception ratio.

To top it off he has the All-Time highest TD:INT ratio in Cowboys History and it is not even close.

Boy wonder almost had a 1:1 TD:INT ratio. Think about that for a moment. :huh:
Last year Big Mike performed a miracle. Dak was trash up until the Bye. Down Fight Pathetic

All your deflecting does not change what happened that year

NotForLong

Reaction score
An excellent example of why wins are not a QB stat. His play was not great even in wins but fortunately, as wins are a team stat, the team was able to overcome that to win because good play was not needed.
You are hilarious. Rush played great. I loved how he was moving the Ball. He got Noah Brown paid

Adreme

Reaction score
You are hilarious. Rush played great. I loved how he was moving the Ball. He got Noah Brown paid
He played great, for a backup who is not a starter level player. Lets look at his game by game numbers just to prove that really quickly.

Eagles: 18-38, 181 yds, 1TD, 3 INTs, 4.8 Y/PA (yards per attempt)
Rams: 10-16 , 102yds, 6.4 yards per attempt
Washington: 15-27 223 yards, 2TDs, 8.3 Y/PA
Giants: 21-31, 215 yards, 1 TD, 6.9 Y/PA
Bengals: 19-31, 235 yards, 1 TD, 7.6 Y/PA

So lets take out great immediately because you would not call a single one of those lines great. The only game in that bunch that would you say is good is the Giants line and even then the limited yards quickly shows his limitations pushing it down the field. The illusion that he played great is one of the funniest things to me when the games were televised and we could watch them and then after look at the numbers.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If the Cowboys really are ready to move on from Dak, I dare say it will be Cooper Rush who will be the one who makes the difference in whether Trey Lance is able to step up. Rush was very successful in his time as the starter, and his leadership was felt by the entire team as they responded by winning five of the six games he started. While he may not have the arm strength that the Cowboys want in a starter, his ability to lead the offense was established as first rate. I can't see the Cowboys wanting to let him slip away in free agency, seeing as how he has proven that he can be the backup they need in case of an emergency.
With McCarthy stating that Lance will get a lot of the snaps in preseason, we very well could be seeing the Trey Lance/Cooper Rush show that the Cowboys hope to have after Dak is gone.
While he is running the offense along side Dak in practice, it's very possible that Rush’s tutuledge has been the reason that he is up to speed and ready to physically take the reigns of the McCarthy system.
So the 2024 preseason may well be a glimpse of the starter/backup system for years to come, and Cooper Rush may well be the constant that helps the Cowboys over the hump in getting rid of the disaster of the past eight seasons.
what? you are putting your eggs in Trey Lance!? why? what has he done for anyone to think he is capable of being anything good? one example would do.

Trey lance is much much much closer to a bust than saving the cowboys.

but I am going to remember this post. just like Tashard Choice........

too funny

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Although I don't disagree, as long as a good team surrounds him, we still beat the teams we're supposed to beat with Rush. I don't think we win that game against the Eagles with Dak either. However, we don't win the 2nd game against the Eagles with Rush.
Rush as the QB whose job is to lead the offense, had that offense 22nd ranked or worse in almost every offensive statistical category.

the defense averaged 13 points a game and scored a couple of time during his 5 game streak.

so give me a defense like that. and I we can be in CCG with Gomer Pyle as the QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Cooper Rush's Scouting Report​

He's a Phenom. He just needs a chance to ball out. Brock Purdy II
  • Started all but three games during his career and was team captain in his junior and senior seasons.
  • Defined by cerebral approach. Has a bachelor of science degree in actuarial science off-the-field and a master's in full-field reads on the field.
  • Juggernaut in the film room.
  • Hits the field with well-conceived plans of attack based on his studies.
  • Makes all the pre-snap decisions rather than looking to the sideline.
  • Quick processor able to scan and decide rapidly. Interceptions are rarely the result of poor decisions.
  • Overcomes arm deficiencies with outstanding timing and accuracy.
  • Anticipatory thrower with a feel for developing windows.
  • Able to lead receivers on crossing routes and long balls and can throw receivers open underneath.
  • Very good natural accuracy. Completion percentage penalized by excessive drop totals.
  • Good pocket poise.
  • Climbs pocket with eyes downfield when heat comes around the corners and can slide left or right before delivering accurate strikes.
  • Has a history from under center in play-action, and pro-style attack and works all three levels of the field.
  • Dump-downs are only a final optidon't forget
  • noodle arm.

fixed it for you.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
5-1 as a cowboy. Why do you hate him?

He may not be QB1 to lead us to super bowl. (Who has in 28 years?) But you can't give him an OUNCE of credit for his record here?

HE played WAY better than people expected him to. That SHOULD be admirable even to non-Cowboys sports fans.

But that's just me.
actually I give the defense credit. I want to know how we can get a defense to play like that and give up 13 points a game.

if we find the answer to that, then I will throw my name in the hat for the cowboys QB. I can get the team to a CCG then.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Eagles didn't make Rush look bad.
The defense and Michael Gallup, with some help from the officials ensured an Eagles win.
The Cowboys might have won the Super Bowl that season if Rush had stayed in at quarterback.
so now the Rush spin begins. it was Michael Gallup. not the three interceptions he threw. got it :thumbup:

fact. the first time a team scored more than 20 points on the cowboys, we lost.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Lance couldn't take Rush's job. now he is going to take Dak's job.

well, on the positive side, a top 5 pick would be good.
Lance was not there to take Rush's job last season. He was there to learn. He was basically red shirted. Just like a few guys on defense that were drafted.
It was always about 2024 and possibly beyond, for Trey as well as several others drafted players.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance was not there to take Rush's job last season. He was there to learn. He was basically red shirted. Just like a few guys on defense that were drafted.
It was always about 2024 and possibly beyond, for Trey as well as several others drafted players.
so a top 3 pick, in year 3 in the league, is just there to learn.

yeah, not sure what to say to that.

Flamma

Reaction score
The biggest problem rush has is his noticeably weak arm strength. Plenty of QBs don't have great arms, but not to this extent. You can't have arc on a 15 yard out pattern. That's what's holding him back.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
LOL. thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Lance couldn't take Rush's job. now he is going to take Dak's job.

well, on the positive side, a top 5 pick would be good.
He took the QB1 job from JimmyG.

There’s going to be a lot of upset Dak fans.