Could Cooper Rush be the catalyst that helps Trey Lance really become "the guy"?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Both Dak and Rush will have things they can impart on the young qb.....the best of both worlds but obviously mentoring can only go so far
Dak isn’t going to help Lance.

Lance is there to take his job.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Rush is a serviceable backup and nothing more. There is a reason he spent his 7, 8 year career bouncing on and off practice squads.

Rush barely averaged 100 yards passing. Rush is not equipped to be a full time starter. Once the film caught up to him, he looked like a junior college quarterback. What was it 3 or 4 interceptions against the the Eagles???

I'd rather just give Lance a shot. Rush has been a career backup for a reason.
What Film caught up to him?? What are you projecting?

NotForLong

Reaction score
Correction: Rush barely averaged 175 yards passing.
Film didn't have to catch up to him. When he had to play from behind, it exposed him.
I agree though, 100%. If given the choice, I'd rather just
start Lance.
What? He lost 1 game

NotForLong

Reaction score
And the Dallas defense only gave up 53 points in the 4 games Rush won. With the weapons Dallas had on offense there are probably quite a few QBs that could win 4 games with a defense giving up only 13 points per game. The game against Philly exposed him for what he is. He is weak armed and throws lollipop passes that hang in the air forever.
Hilarious. The team only gave up 53 points because of the way Rush played. He controlled the ball and kept the chains moving. Meanwhile Dak was throwing interception left nd right

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Cooper Rush's Scouting Report​

He's a Phenom. He just needs a chance to ball out. Brock Purdy II
  • Started all but three games during his career and was team captain in his junior and senior seasons.
  • Defined by cerebral approach. Has a bachelor of science degree in actuarial science off-the-field and a master's in full-field reads on the field.
  • Juggernaut in the film room.
  • Hits the field with well-conceived plans of attack based on his studies.
  • Makes all the pre-snap decisions rather than looking to the sideline.
  • Quick processor able to scan and decide rapidly. Interceptions are rarely the result of poor decisions.
  • Overcomes arm deficiencies with outstanding timing and accuracy.
  • Anticipatory thrower with a feel for developing windows.
  • Able to lead receivers on crossing routes and long balls and can throw receivers open underneath.
  • Very good natural accuracy. Completion percentage penalized by excessive drop totals.
  • Good pocket poise.
  • Climbs pocket with eyes downfield when heat comes around the corners and can slide left or right before delivering accurate strikes.
  • Has a history from under center in play-action, and pro-style attack and works all three levels of the field.
  • Dump-downs are only a final option.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Rush is the ultimate relief pitcher.

Not a full time starter.

But he will get you a win.
Or five of them when your starting QB goes down. Even in the game that was lost (against the Eagles), where he threw three picks, the team was only down three points in the third quarter losing 20-17 with the final score being only 26-17.

A lot of the pro-Dak crowd put that on the defense stepping up and playing “lights out”. But this reason is just used to take away anything positive Rush did in the games because Dak also played under the same defense. So Rush had to be diminished in helping lead the team to victories because it made it look like that Dak meant less to any victories that he was a part of. The opposite was done in 2016, where Dak was seen as a primary source of the victories even though the better QB was delegated to the bench. Rush was not tasked with more than managing the games and ball-controlling the offense. And even when he was because the scores in the games required it, he showed up in the Cincinnati and Minnesota games at the end of them stepping up to make some crucial plays. Perhaps, just perhaps, how the QB played had something to do with the defense playing “lights out”, i.e., maintaining long offensive possessions even if they didn’t result TDs.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Rush more than likely is a trade candidate if Lance does well in preseason.

GINeric

Reaction score
Hilarious. The team only gave up 53 points because of the way Rush played. He controlled the ball and kept the chains moving. Meanwhile Dak was throwing interception left nd right

If Rush was so good, why have he spent most of his career on and off of practice squads? Why isn't he starting somewhere in the league???

He's been in the league going on 8 years now. I guess 31 other GMs, scouts and offensive coordinators didn't see Rush the way you do.

With that said, other than last season.... where did Dak normally rank in interceptions??

I'll wait.....

jujoboys

Reaction score
I thought I covered that by saying he got exposed once he had to play from behind. Buy hey, if you just wanna hurt the guys feelings, he's just another red-headed pop-gun armed backup QB in Dallas Cowboys lore...lol
lol. Unlike a lot of people on here I would love an upgrade to our backup QB position. While he is probably a nice guy I am not a fan of Rush the player.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I wasn’t defending Dak and Dak wasn’t even part of my post. Weird you would bring Dak into a debate about our backup QB position. If you are fine with lollipop arm as the backup then so be it. Personally I would like to see an upgrade. Btw, not giving our defense the credit for shutting down the teams in those 4 games and giving that credit to Rush is absolutely laughable. 3 of those 4 teams were scrub teams and the only good one was the Bengals. The Dallas defense literally beat Joe Burrows to a pulp in that game. They sacked him 6 times along with 9 QB hits. Also, the Bengals and Washington had more time of possession so they had plenty of opportunities to score, Rams had an even amount of TOP, and Dallas barely had more TOP than the Giants. Dallas defense caused Stanford to turn the ball over 3 times while sacking him 5 times. Dallas won the Rams game by 12 points. DLaw scored a TD on defense and Pollard ran for a 57 yard TD. Washington and NY were just pathetic and have been for years. The defense destroyed the Rams and Bengals

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush is a serviceable backup and nothing more. There is a reason he spent his 7, 8 year career bouncing on and off practice squads.

Rush barely averaged 100 yards passing. Rush is not equipped to be a full time starter. Once the film caught up to him, he looked like a junior college quarterback. What was it 3 or 4 interceptions against the the Eagles???

I'd rather just give Lance a shot. Rush has been a career backup for a reason.
THIS guy..is SURELY the one that called for us to "TANK NOW!" when Dak went down.

He hates Coop ever since.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol. Unlike a lot of people on here I would love an upgrade to our backup QB position. While he is probably a nice guy I am not a fan of Rush the player.
5-1 as a cowboy. Why do you hate him?

He may not be QB1 to lead us to super bowl. (Who has in 28 years?) But you can't give him an OUNCE of credit for his record here?

HE played WAY better than people expected him to. That SHOULD be admirable even to non-Cowboys sports fans.

But that's just me.

NotForLong

Reaction score
If Rush was so good, why have he spent most of his career on and off of practice squads? Why isn't he starting somewhere in the league???

He's been in the league going on 8 years now. I guess 31 other GMs, scouts and offensive coordinators didn't see Rush the way you do.

With that said, other than last season.... where did Dak normally rank in interceptions??

I'll wait.....
Blah blah blah

NotForLong

Reaction score
I wasn’t defending Dak and Dak wasn’t even part of my post. Weird you would bring Dak into a debate about our backup QB position. If you are fine with lollipop arm as the backup then so be it. Personally I would like to see an upgrade. Btw, not giving our defense the credit for shutting down the teams in those 4 games and giving that credit to Rush is absolutely laughable. 3 of those 4 teams were scrub teams and the only good one was the Bengals. The Dallas defense literally beat Joe Burrows to a pulp in that game. They sacked him 6 times along with 9 QB hits. Also, the Bengals and Washington had more time of possession so they had plenty of opportunities to score, Rams had an even amount of TOP, and Dallas barely had more TOP than the Giants. Dallas defense caused Stanford to turn the ball over 3 times while sacking him 5 times. Dallas won the Rams game by 12 points. DLaw scored a TD on defense and Pollard ran for a 57 yard TD. Washington and NY were just pathetic and have been for years. The defense destroyed the Rams and Bengals
I mentioned the turnovers because it is a hindrance to the defense. Which kept them from limiting the score when Dak was the QB

Chasing6

Reaction score
Interesting how he led the league in TD's last season and had the second highest 4:1 TD to interception ratio.

To top it off he has the All-Time highest TD:INT ratio in Cowboys History and it is not even close.

Boy wonder almost had a 1:1 TD:INT ratio. Think about that for a moment. :huh:

Adreme

Reaction score
What? He lost 1 game
An excellent example of why wins are not a QB stat. His play was not great even in wins but fortunately, as wins are a team stat, the team was able to overcome that to win because good play was not needed.