Could it be...

blindzebra

Reaction score
The real problem is Parcells?

Year one he was in God status, even though he made mistakes at QB and RB. Luck and an overachieving defense made the playoffs.

Year two, changes were made at QB and RB, but mistakes at DE, DT and in the secondary along with injuries on offense killed us. We began hearing rumblings that players were not buying into Parcells system. Bad character guys were being shipped out left and right, and old players with zero upside were playing instead of young guys.

Year three begins with us overspending for pretty good players in free agency and overkilling at positions of need in the draft. Now I'm all for bringing in talent, but the motives behind this overreaction worries me.

We release a high character guy in Coakley, and hear grumblings from two other high character guys in Glover and Ellis. We still have personnel better suited for the 4-3. We are replacing a pro bowl player with 7th rd picks or UDFA, depending on rookies...most of whom came from the 4-3...and alienating two of our best players in the process, and for what?

A very average Bledsoe will need to lead this offense very well for us to have any chance. That and this defense coming together seems very unlikely to me, so then what?

If the embarrassment of a 6-10 season caused this much change in both free agent philosophy and personnel, what would another losing season do? Especially if it occurs in a 3-4 comfort zone for Parcells.

I see 3 seasons of reacting.

I don't see a long term plan for this team after Parcells leaves and that scares me.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So easily forgotten is the mess of a team Parcells inherited.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Nope

He's done nothing but win wherever he's gone. Look at the quality of his drafts here. He's cycling out the ME players and bringing in quality team players. I expect a huge 2005 season.

Change is coming and this team is poised to be a real threat! Could you say that 2 years ago? Nope.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
well thats because you dont read your own post, these old guys as you put it have to retire and when he leaves problay leaves with him, so all these young palyers that we have can step up and start, we have to young DE/LB in spears and Ware, we have a young and hopefully good DE/DT in Canty, alont with Ratliff, and we have a great RB in JJ, and a great TE in Witten, gues who got those players Bill Parcells, to win now, you cant have your team full of rookies, And thats what BP is trying to do win now, and slowly put in the younf players, let him do his job and stop being scared of what you cannot see.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Reality said:
So easily forgotten is the mess of a team Parcells inherited.

And we could end up with a new coach and a little more young talent than what we had when Parcells got here, but that talent might not fit the new system. Then we spend a couple more years making the roster fit that scheme.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
And we could end up with a new coach and a little more young talent than what we had when Parcells got here, but that talent might not fit the new system. Then we spend a couple more years making the roster fit that scheme.

what scheme we have players now that fit in both systems, and after next year we will have more young players that fit both systems so if they come in and want to put in a system that isnt the 3-4 or the 4-3 then is that really BP's problem?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BLINDZebra:

Parcells has drafted better in 3 years than JJ and the front office clowns that preceded him did in past decade.

He's made tremendous upgrades in our roster where yesteryears starters are now backups....
2005 will be a breakout year. That 10 win 2003 is closer to what this team will be.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Well, it would have been less painful in the long run had Bill come in and immediately set about cleaning house and installing his kind of ball.

But there were reasons why he could not do what he did in NY or NE.

The whole world was watching and predicting he and Jerry would quickly be divorced. We know there had to be some courtesy calls involved, like taking the time to see what he had in both Q and Hutch. Had Tuna acted too arrogantly, or even more aggressively, the press would have built it up into a JJ-BP war from the get-go.

There was so little depth that few could be cut. It's taken three years to even make a dent at offsetting previous atrocious drafts.

Bill couldn't just dismiss '03's defensive performance, not after it's statistical superiority and the mad love affair with Zim preventing him from going to Nebraska. From Day One, Tuna was talking about not wanting to have to blitz to get a rush, about wanting backers who were both fast AND big - his usual spiels - but even a Bill Parcells couldn't have insisted on installing the 3-4 LAST offseason. He didn't have enough draft picks or the consensus it was needed. I don't see overkill in this year's draft, just a realistic assessment of what it will take to make it work..half way measures would be the worst mistake.

Tuna is still working on getting the right staff togther, and it's taken this much time to clean out the personnel dept.

A lot of reasons why a quick pre-emptive strike was not possible here. And tho the roster was not as bare as it was in New England, it was way less competitive than what he inherited in New York.

PS. On Dex. His cap numbers, not just his size or age, had a lot to do with his ticket out. He's the ONLY player Bill has allowed to walk or let go who I think folks might have a legit gripe about.

blindzebra

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
well thats because you dont read your own post, these old guys as you put it have to retire and when he leaves problay leaves with him, so all these young palyers that we have can step up and start, we have to young DE/LB in spears and Ware, we have a young and hopefully good DE/DT in Canty, alont with Ratliff, and we have a great RB in JJ, and a great TE in Witten, gues who got those players Bill Parcells, to win now, you cant have your team full of rookies, And thats what BP is trying to do win now, and slowly put in the younf players, let him do his job and stop being scared of what you cannot see.

As of right now Witten is the only young player Parcells has drafted that may be a given.

Newman had problems last year, but I'd include him as well.

Jones needs to show he can stay healthy.

This year's draft has not played a down of football yet, so to say they are a given is silly. Remember 2002.;)

Yes we have more talent on the roster than we did in 2002, but much of that is based on potential and not proven on the field.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
As of right now Witten is the only young player Parcells has drafted that may be a given.

Newman had problems last year, but I'd include him as well.

Jones needs to show he can stay healthy.

This year's draft has not played a down of football yet, so to say they are a given is silly. Remember 2002.;)

Yes we have more talent on the roster than we did in 2002, but much of that is based on potential and not proven on the field.

Can stay healthy, He's been hurt once in his football career, he carried teh entire load of the running game the last 7 games of the season, dont hand me that

and dont hand me that 2002 BS, you cannot say that almost every pick in the 2002 draft had questions marks behind tam, and almost all of the had some type of problem, the onyl twoplayers you cans ay about that is the injured 4th round pick and a 6th round pick, so they argument doenst go down with me either

blindzebra

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Can stay healthy, He's been hurt once in his football career, he carried teh entire load of the running game the last 7 games of the season, dont hand me that

and dont hand me that 2002 BS, you cannot say that almost every pick in the 2002 draft had questions marks behind tam, and almost all of the had some type of problem, the onyl twoplayers you cans ay about that is the injured 4th round pick and a 6th round pick, so they argument doenst go down with me either

I schooled you on that before, so sticking your head in the sand won't make it any less true now.

Small school DE to OLB, nope no issues there at all.

Not quick enough to be a playmaker, nope no possible issue there.

Undersized for strongside 3-4 LB, nope no issue there.

Jones and Thomas, looking like a 3rd down back, nope he's can't miss.

Injuries.

Small school SS, nope no issues at all on 6th round picks becoming starters.

Weight, again not a problem.

DE or DT, hell all 7th round picks become pro bowlers.

yesfan

Reaction score
The real problem would be if Parcells was not here.Like him,
hate him, whatever, we may have had an injury plagued year
and stayed with some who should have been gone,but Bill has
a plan that this team did not have before he arrived.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Witten - All Pro TE
Johnson - C - Will be an All Pro\
Newman - All Pro Future with a Pass rush - eh? 4-3 of yesteryear failed at that
J Jones - 1500 yard back - Stud
Ware, Spears, Canty, Burnett - solid futures.

Peterman, Rogers redshirted and TBD

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Name your givens BZ on drafts 1995-2002?

Other than Roy which was easy, What you got?

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
Name your givens BZ on drafts 1995-2002?

Other than Roy which was easy, What you got?

Godfrey, Coakley, Ellis, Adams, and Nguyen.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I schooled you on that before, so sticking your head in the sand won't make it any less true now.

Small school DE to OLB, nope no issues there at all.

Not quick enough to be a playmaker, nope no possible issue there.

Undersized for strongside 3-4 LB, nope no issue there.

Jones and Thomas, looking like a 3rd down back, nope he's can't miss.

Injuries.

Small school SS, nope no issues at all on 6th round picks becoming starters.

Weight, again not a problem.

DE or DT, hell all 7th round picks become pro bowlers.

When did i say they were gonna be pro bowlers

how is moving to a new postion that utlizes there talent a problem

How do u get Joens as a third down back, when he was almsoe and every down back last year

Who ever said the SS was gonna be a starter i know i never said that

And who are you talking about not qucik enough to be playmaker, cant be Spears speaking he was one of the BEst DL on that squad and was a first round pick, and still would have been if we didnt take him

And why woudl i stick my head in te sand when i'm right on your going crazy

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
Witten - All Pro TE
Johnson - C - Will be an All Pro\
Newman - All Pro Future with a Pass rush - eh? 4-3 of yesteryear failed at that
J Jones - 1500 yard back - Stud
Ware, Spears, Canty, Burnett - solid futures.

Peterman, Rogers redshirted and TBD

Witten made all pro, must have missed it.

Johnson has one year as starter, he's a maybe.

Newman was nearly a pro bowler in that 4-3 rookie year, go figure.

Milk to stud, hmmm?

They have not played a down yet.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Newman was nearly a pro bowler in that 4-3 rookie year, go figure.

i wonder who was hurt most of last season

who had musical chairs going on the oppsite sid eof him,

who was constaly left all alone to defend the best WR on the team

who had one the leagues worst pass rush

hmm, does Newman sound familar, dont try twist the truth

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
I'm comfortable with what Parcells has done for the most part but this season will be telling. Anything short of the playoffs will be a failure and don't let anyone tell you any differently. JJ has invested too much money into the now philosophy to expect anything less. Bill knows that he's limited in terms of time and he's doing it his way to make it happen. I can't say that I agree with the way that everything that he's doing, but if it will bring another championship to Dallas. I will gladly trade a couple of years of rebuilding.....for a ring today.

blindzebra

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
When did i say they were gonna be pro bowlers

how is moving to a new postion that utlizes there talent a problem

How do u get Joens as a third down back, when he was almsoe and every down back last year

Who ever said the SS was gonna be a starter i know i never said that

And who are you talking about not qucik enough to be playmaker, cant be Spears speaking he was one of the BEst DL on that squad and was a first round pick, and still would have been if we didnt take him

And why woudl i stick my head in te sand when i'm right on your going crazy

I said remember 2002, you said this year's draft has no issues, I gave them to you. The knock on Spears is his speed. Yep, every small school player changing positions is a can't miss. Parcells said he likes Barber as a 3rd down back. The rest is exaggeration to make a point, too bad it flew right on by.

Even without major issues, no drafted player is a given. Let them play a down before we start carving the busts for Canton.