CFZ Could Jerry already have a handshake deal with OBJ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something that struck me about Jerry coming out and saying how much he admires OBJ and then not pulling the trigger on a WR trade at the deadline. OBJ will be physically ready to get back on the field some time in December.. just in time for the stretch run.. Now that the Rams have started to have to pay the devil back for selling their souls last year they aint goin nowhere. OBJ obviously has some sentimental ties to NYG but it's a good bet that they will be a couple of games below the Cowboys in the standings in a few weeks.. and given the choice between playing with Dak Prescott and Daniel Jones as a receiver that's kind of a no-brainer.

Now he might be seduced by the prospect of playing with an all time great like Rodgers or Brady but both of them might be on the outside of the playoffs looking in pretty quick here. Would anything make him more post-career money than helping America's Team get to its first Super Bowl in 27 years? Are you kidding me!?!?! Jerry has GOT to be whispering all this in his ear.. (or his agent's ear) every other day..

I think he might be on the Cowboys’ radar, but I don’t think any sort of ‘deal’ handshake or otherwise, has been discussed.

As you mentioned, he won’t be ready until December and there are plenty of scenarios to play out before then.

One of which includes Dallas potentially improving their own passing game in the meantime. If the offense performs as well as it did against Chicago, they won’t need Beckham by December.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Something that struck me about Jerry coming out and saying how much he admires OBJ and then not pulling the trigger on a WR trade at the deadline. OBJ will be physically ready to get back on the field some time in December.. just in time for the stretch run.. Now that the Rams have started to have to pay the devil back for selling their souls last year they aint goin nowhere. OBJ obviously has some sentimental ties to NYG but it's a good bet that they will be a couple of games below the Cowboys in the standings in a few weeks.. and given the choice between playing with Dak Prescott and Daniel Jones as a receiver that's kind of a no-brainer.

Now he might be seduced by the prospect of playing with an all time great like Rodgers or Brady but both of them might be on the outside of the playoffs looking in pretty quick here. Would anything make him more post-career money than helping America's Team get to its first Super Bowl in 27 years? Are you kidding me!?!?! Jerry has GOT to be whispering all this in his ear.. (or his agent's ear) every other day..

He could but I doubt it. They did try to land cooks, so it's not as if they didn't work the phones a little. But now they need to bring in OBJ. Get washington back and make a run

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Highly doubtful. Jerry likes to talk to generate all kinds of speculation about the Cowboys. Look at his lengthy, bloated discussion about trades earlier. He just talks and talks and talks. In fact, he talks so much it’s hard to take much of what he says as anything beyond just….talk.

Jerry is THE face and spokesman for the team. But more than that he’s really the head salesman. Because he talks so much, his words actually have less impact than most owners or GMs who say almost nothing during the season.

Jerry has become the sports equivalent of “The Boy who cried Wolf” in a sense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wish there wasn't five OBJ threads each week. The guy is not healthy, he's a locker room cancer and his production doesn't justify a look.
you shocked??

it like the earl Thomas , Jamal Adams, Wagner, eric berry, and von miller watches .. they wont stop ever even after they become unavailable the fans complain. Most of the time fans were wrong and thank gawd Jerry didnt follow through.

lkelly

Reaction score
If they had a deal, he'd be signed. He'd be rehabbing with the team docs and would be learning the playbook and catching Dak's wobbly passes after practice. Jerry would be parading him around to luxury box high rollers and the press as this era's Deion that shows they are all in.

What he is right now for Jerry is a mechanism to keep the talk show hype alive. That comes first, second, and third ahead of actually winning games. Having the speculation fill the airwaves costs nothing but helps his marketing Q score.

kumizi

Reaction score
I seriously doubt it.

1. The guy is coming off a major injury. Cowboys have already seen how slow Gallup has been to return to form. Injecting OBJ two thirds of the way into the season amd expecting him to contribute doesn’t seem likely.

2. Cap boy isn’t going to want to pay another WR. And OBJ isn’t going to sign for cheap.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
He’s going to who ever offers the most $, now what are the chances it’s Dallas?

rags747

Reaction score
OBJ at this point of his career will be a great addition to our locker room imo. Don’t sleep on the Bills making a move for him either. I would have to say that it is between them and us.

glimmerman

Reaction score
How much do you think he will want. Small amount for the rest of the year. When Dak hasn’t thrown him a pass. He won’t come in and have a week of practice and be on the same page.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
How much do you think he will want. Small amount for the rest of the year. When Dak hasn’t thrown him a pass. He won’t come in and have a week of practice and be on the same page.

Hell you can pro-rate him on a 20 million dollar a year deal and only have to pay him 5.. No team is going to pay him 10-12 million for 4-5 games.. so he will have to be somewhat reasonable with his demands. If some team DOES offer him a full year type salary for 4-5 games good luck to them..

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I look forward to the stories that come out about how serious Jerry’s interest in OBJ was right after he signs in KC, LA or Tampa…

MyFairLady

Reaction score
OBJ barf city. He is the opposite of what we need to look for in a WR. The exact opposite in pretty much every possible way.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Hes not healthy plus how quickly would he be acclimated to the offense? If it was gonna happen they'd need to get him in here ASAP and start teaching him the playbook.

ondaedg

Reaction score

Good speculation here and Jerry has already sent a dove to him with some kind words in the press. If any fans watch the games they’d see a set of receivers that are good but not great by any stretch. Serious question marks though with OBJ’s ability to be as explosive as he usually is coming fresh off that ACL.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Good speculation here and Jerry has already sent a dove to him with some kind words in the press. If any fans watch the games they’d see a set of receivers that are good but not great by any stretch. Serious question marks though with OBJ’s ability to be as explosive as he usually is coming fresh off that ACL.

Totally valid.. but can defenders risk guessing wrong about how explosive he is or isn't when he's on the field. I mean at some point he GOING to get back at or close to pre-injury level.. As a corner do you want that to happen while you're out there assuming he aint got it no mo? I don't expect peak OBJ until some time next season.. but as I said before.. 80% of OBJ is better than 80% of Gallup and better than 100% of anybody else we have on the roster not named CeeDee..

DFWJC

Reaction score
OBJ coming off an ACL in February
I would greatly lower my expectations

ESisback

Reaction score
Do not need:

A diva
A distraction
Another bloated contract

Lamb, Gallup, Brown, Tolbert, Washington, Shultz, Hendershot and the other TE are sufficient. Just say no.