Could Kneeland see more time than Sam Williams?

Havic

Reaction score
In obvious running downs yes. Sam Williams has a low football IQ but I think right now he is by far the better pass rusher

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most likely they will do some moving around and experimenting in OTA”s. Then we may see more of a direction when TC starts. Even then the PS games may not even tell the full usage of them.

I think Kneeland was drafted more as DLaw back up and eventual replacement. Williams may be given the opportunity to get more snaps on the other side. As Micah may still be moved around like a chess piece. If that is what Zimmer wants to do.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I have low expectations this year, everything about his draft profile and production in college screams about 2 to 3 years before he starts to make a significant impact.
Is it at least better than the 09 draft??

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think it all depends on what Sam Williams we get each game, the mental mistakes have to go! He's tough, and has good speed, we just want him to clean up the unnecessary mistakes he makes getting flags. If Kneeland displays that motor and toughness, I think we will see a lot of him, what are your thoughts?? He's probably the D-law replacement (maybe)
Its a really good question Coog and could very well be, but I see Kneeland being worked more into a role behind MP to be able to catch a breather.
We have all witnessed MP being gassed late in the season when we need him most, I'm probably really wrong but would make more sense to me.
Sam needs to step in behind Lawrence and learn it quick.

75boyz

Reaction score
Not even in the same zip code as Sam as a pass rusher.
Would get snaps as a backup to Lawrence if Lawrence were to get injured.

Skeptical of his ability to beat NFL tackles one on one on pass rush downs.

Athleticism and RAS scores are not football film.

He excels in the former and not so much in the latter playing in an extremely weak college conference.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think it all depends on what Sam Williams we get each game, the mental mistakes have to go! He's tough, and has good speed, we just want him to clean up the unnecessary mistakes he makes getting flags. If Kneeland displays that motor and toughness, I think we will see a lot of him, what are your thoughts?? He's probably the D-law replacement (maybe)
I think there's a decent chance that Kneeland starts at right end (when Parsons is at linebacker) and moves inside on passing downs. Williams may be relegated by Zimmer to primarily a pass-rushing role.

CWR

Reaction score
Absolutely. SW is a moron he's got the tools but I question his heart and brains. This guy comes in with a motor, hungry. It won't take him long imo.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So, is Williams the backup for Parsons and Kneeland for Lawrence?

Since Kneeland supposedly has better run defense skills, I would expect to see him more than Williams.

On paper, I don't think the Cowboys has had this much value at the DE position two deep. If I'm not mistaken, that's one 1st round pick and three 2nd round picks
Right. I think there's a good chance of Kneeland at RDE and Lawrence at LDE being on the first-down defense, with maybe Fehoko and Golston giving them some run-down breaks, so both can possibly kick inside on pure passing downs. I think Williams and Parsons will play end on passing downs, but Parsons also will be on the field on run downs at linebacker, where he will probably be blitzing a lot against the run and pass. (There was a video about Zimmer and the Double-A gap blitz that shows he shows it quite a bit and it's often a fake, but I think he'll be bringing Parsons up all along the line and bringing him while dropping a lineman into short zone so he's only bringing four.)

FoxF

Reaction score
His draft profile doesn't read like it will take 2-3 years at all. Here is some good info:

I understand he tested well but everything I read suggested the production wasn’t there in College…. If the results were not there in college then hard to see him taking over the NFL by storm. I am not a draft guy, just my interpretation of reading up on him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Probably not. Williams will probably absorb Fowlers pass rushing snaps. I could see him around 500. Fowler will probably spell Lawrence, and possibly get some obvious run down snaps at RDE. 300 snaps seems like a solid guess, 400 could be possible

They really arent in competition with each other since they bring different skills to the table

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe Zim can help get Sams head out of his butt. Ton of talent. Maybe the change from the DQ coddling to the Zim tough love will help some of the underachievers.

75boyz

Reaction score
I understand he tested well but everything I read suggested the production wasn’t there in College…. If the results were not there in college then hard to see him taking over the NFL by storm. I am not a draft guy, just my interpretation of reading up on him.
Your interpretation will prove quite accurate.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, we do always take some small schooler or injured player in the 2nd. I don't see it, but this one might be the same as all the other 2nd rounders(except Diggs!!)