Could Kneeland see more time than Sam Williams?

1time4urMind

Reaction score
Spence wasn't agile enough laterally to ever be a high level DE. Same w/ guys like George Selvie, Damontre Moore, Jeremy Mincey.

A DE must have a way to get around the blockers. That comes down to lateral agility.

I thought OLB was a worse fit, partly for the same reason.

I don't think I would ever call him a "high-level" end, but I'd take him over those other guys you listed. I guess I'd consider him a high-level complementary player. Lol

MikeT22

Reaction score
I can't wait to see how he progresses, to me D-law had that 1 extremely great year, and after that SACK wise he hasn't been the same. On run stopping he's top notch
Yeah Kneeland is primarily a run stopper. Scouting reports say he doesn’t have the speed or agility to get outside and run around OTs.

Last year, in the MAC, he equaled his high for sacks in a season with 4.5.
3 of those sacks came in one game against E. Mich. The rest of the season he had 1.5 sacks.
Looks like he played in 9 games missing two with an elbow injury.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sam Williams better step up or he won’t see a second contract. He didn’t make much of a jump last season.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Not sure how you meant that. So, this is my take.

Anthony Spencer was a great prospect coming out of school. Best fit was a DE, though. And, he moved to OLB opposite Demarcus Ware as I recall. Not the best fit, but he still earned his way and played well. Ware was the guy rushing most downs. Plenty of tape of Ware beating Spence to the QB, but Spence didn't leave a lane for the QB to get away.
Spence developed at that positon, though. More opportunities he got, better he played. Knee injury took him out.
My apologies. Sometimes, I will say stuff with the assumption that other people know what I'm thinking. In this case, it is that this board will melt down if Kneeland performs just like Spencer. I always thought that Spencer was a good player, asked to play a position in which he was never completely comfortable. And while he did not rack up the stats for sacks, he always played steady and brought pressure. Hence the nickname "Almost Anthony."

Siroky

Reaction score
I’m not sure Zimmers plan but I hope both are starting with dlaw and Kneeland as 3-4 ends and micha sam Kendrick’s and Clark as linebackers - Our personale is better suited for the 3/4 and micha playing the LT role could keep him fresher all year and into the playoffs!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
thta's the point. he is not a very smart player. as a 2nd rounder, expections are that by year three, he is a bigger contributor and a good starter. he is playing like a 5th round pick.
I take the player as a whole, just because he has dumb penalties I wouldn't drop his play, overall, to a 5th round level.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I take the player as a whole, just because he has dumb penalties I wouldn't drop his play, overall, to a 5th round level.
The expectations for a 2nd rounder is to be a starter and bigger contributor than special teams. He has not and his role slowly been diminished. Is it physical? Or mental?

1time4urMind

Reaction score
My apologies. Sometimes, I will say stuff with the assumption that other people know what I'm thinking. In this case, it is that this board will melt down if Kneeland performs just like Spencer. I always thought that Spencer was a good player, asked to play a position in which he was never completely comfortable. And while he did not rack up the stats for sacks, he always played steady and brought pressure. Hence the nickname "Almost Anthony."

No apologies needed. You obviously watch football instead of simply looking up stats.

Funny thing about Spencer is he had, I think, 27ish sacks in...

I had to look it up. In his four years as a starter he started 61 games and had 28 sacks opposite D-Ware. Then, he hurt his knee and that ended up being the end. So, I don't know why this board melts down over these picks. They hated Greg Ellis, too. Smh

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought OLB was a worse fit, partly for the same reason.

I don't think I would ever call him a "high-level" end, but I'd take him over those other guys you listed. I guess I'd consider him a high-level complementary player. Lol
All the same player.

1time4urMind

Reaction score
????? Williams is the literal definition of a guy who does not do what they are coached to do.

There will be less decision making, less improvising in Zim's scheme. Quinn did not run a disciplined D. Zim will have clearly defined roles and expectations from each position on each play. It's apple and oranges. The entire D was undisciplined and overrated under Quinn.

I explained my position in my original post. You don't have to agree with it, but why respond by asking a question that was already answered using a snippet of a quote taken out of context??????????....

"In Quinns D, guys were improvising if not freelancing. This led to mistakes by everybody. I think it hurt our run D more than our personnel hurt it (cutting all of our linebackers didn't help, though). Sam is young, and I don't think he was put in a position to succeed. He has the strength and size and ability to set the edge. If he doesn't have to think but can just do exactly what the coaches tell him to do, he absolutely fits Zim's D, "

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Williams has had his share of mistakes, but I would not categorize him as being low IQ, a moron, or stupid.
He has had his share of nice plays, but I would not say he is great, a beast or the next LT.
He has shown the ability to play the game and I do not expect greatness at every single position on the team.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
thta's the point. he is not a very smart player. as a 2nd rounder, expections are that by year three, he is a bigger contributor and a good starter. he is playing like a 5th round pick.
More undisciplined than not being smart. Coaching is a big part of that issue.