Could RB Chris Johnson be our WOW player?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
BigTimeCowboy;2029602 said:
He could be our "wow" player...as in, "wow Jerry actually passed on Felix Jones"

No, that would make him a "Whew!" player.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
TheCount;2029606 said:
No, that would make him a "Whew!" player.

:lmao: Have to agree, I really don't get this morbid fascination with Jones. I get it you want to be able to use your "21 Jones " shirts!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think they are comparable backs. I think Johnson will be a better inside runner but I can't possibly know that for sure. There have been backs as small as these guys who have been able to do it all.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2029453 said:
Funny thread concept btw.....you don't pick up your WOW player from a small school in the second round. Jerry may get his WOW player and he may not, it was just something he said. It would be more on the lines of the good Roy Williams or DMac. We said wow when the Pats got Moss, don't think anyone would say wow to Chris Johnson initially at least, he would have to prove himself.

A WOW player for this team is going to be a RB or WR with a big name and makes heads turn. Chris Johnson isn't that.....yet....but who knows what he will be.

Well it's not his fault that NFL network and ESPN are in love with Dmac when DMac rand his 40 time you would think the combine was over by the way NFL network and ESPN responded. It's not like CJ played D1-AA or D2 ball he played D1 ball he was known by college coaches and is known by NFL coaches and GM's they know how good he is.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
jobberone;2029780 said:
I think they are comparable backs. I think Johnson will be a better inside runner but I can't possibly know that for sure. There have been backs as small as these guys who have been able to do it all.

CJ's ceiling is Williw Parker with Westbrook type receiving skills. The stars would have to align for that but that is his max potential.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2029866 said:
CJ's ceiling is Williw Parker with Westbrook type receiving skills. The stars would have to align for that but that is his max potential.

That'd be fine with me Fuzzy. I'm thinking Jerry is looking more for a WR than a RB. If we go CB and WR with the 1s then who will we get at RB? I don't see CJ as being there at our 2nd round pick. If they miss out on a RB in the first two rounds I'd like them to take Corey Boyd in the 3rd or 4th.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2029835 said:
Well it's not his fault that NFL network and ESPN are in love with Dmac when DMac rand his 40 time you would think the combine was over by the way NFL network and ESPN responded. It's not like CJ played D1-AA or D2 ball he played D1 ball he was known by college coaches and is known by NFL coaches and GM's they know how good he is.

Well, DMac was the runnerup for the Heisman trophy the last 2 years in a row, he is going to get alot of attention. My point is that Chris isn't going to get a wow factor from anyone other than draftniks looking at his 40 time. The people who have watched him alot on film and such might also say wow, but that is a small group.

WOW is about a big name. Chris could earn his in the NFL, but right now it is just plain wrong to even think us drafting him is a wow. Really I don't care about wow, but the only way we can logically see that happening is one of those rumored vet WRs or DMac. That's just a fact.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2029930 said:
Well, DMac was the runnerup for the Heisman trophy the last 2 years in a row, he is going to get alot of attention. My point is that Chris isn't going to get a wow factor from anyone other than draftniks looking at his 40 time. The people who have watched him alot on film and such might also say wow, but that is a small group.

WOW is about a big name. Chris could earn his in the NFL, but right now it is just plain wrong to even think us drafting him is a wow. Really I don't care about wow, but the only way we can logically see that happening is one of those rumored vet WRs or DMac. That's just a fact.

I don't care who is wow. I'm like Parcells. DMac could bring me water, too. He and all the others in the draft have one thing in common.....none has done a single thing in the NFL....yet.

I'm a Chris Johnson fan because I think we could possibly get him. Felix Jones would be my second pick to play along side MB. I'll be a fan of whomever they bring in.

But I think your wow definition is right about a veteran WR.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
jobberone;2029912 said:
That'd be fine with me Fuzzy. I'm thinking Jerry is looking more for a WR than a RB. If we go CB and WR with the 1s then who will we get at RB? I don't see CJ as being there at our 2nd round pick. If they miss out on a RB in the first two rounds I'd like them to take Corey Boyd in the 3rd or 4th.

With Talib being a moron regarding an easy drug testing policy and Jstew being a huge injury risk at the most injury prone position in the NFL, I like the idea of trading up or out of the 22 spot unless jenkins falls or someone has a major slide. If henne falls we might have BQ part duex.

I like the idea of trading down from 22 and getting a 2nd plus a third or another first the following year. CJ would be available at that point.

Im really not liking the 22 spot at all and the more often I see FJones going at 22 the more I want to puke.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
jobberone;2030076 said:
I don't care who is wow. I'm like Parcells. DMac could bring me water, too. He and all the others in the draft have one thing in common.....none has done a single thing in the NFL....yet.

I'm a Chris Johnson fan because I think we could possibly get him. Felix Jones would be my second pick to play along side MB. I'll be a fan of whomever they bring in.

But I think your wow definition is right about a veteran WR.

I'm just saying wow is about name recognition, thats really about it. I really don't care if we get a wow player or not, just saying what it is. Chris could be a player once he gets to the NFL, but a wow player from the draft he isn't at all. Heck, we haven't had a wow player in the draft in a long time, every since the bad Roy.

Anyone know if Chris has a shuttle time?? Haven't seen one for him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2030095 said:
With Talib being a moron regarding an easy drug testing policy and Jstew being a huge injury risk at the most injury prone position in the NFL, I like the idea of trading up or out of the 22 spot unless jenkins falls or someone has a major slide. If henne falls we might have BQ part duex.

I like the idea of trading down from 22 and getting a 2nd plus a third or another first the following year. CJ would be available at that point.

Im really not liking the 22 spot at all and the more often I see FJones going at 22 the more I want to puke.

There has got to be a WR, RB, or CB at the 22 spot or another player worthy of the pick. It appears Jerry has an out at 28 with Atlanta for a third or the 68th pick. I don't see a problem really with 22 or 28 but I have no problem trading down with Atlanta assuming that is a real scenario.

DFWJC

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2029866 said:

I'm with Sacramento in giving CJ his props for awhile now. I don't think he is the WOW player Jerry was talking about but there is plenty to like.

I've also been using Parker as a comparable based on size and speed and relative style. CJ is a better reciever than Parker--so we get Westbrook comps. But I think Westbrook has better moves and great vision, but is much slower, but has a stronger lower body.

I think CJ will play at 5-11, 207, 4.24 40yd. I see a potentiallly very good runner, great reciever as RB, and very good returner.Here are some present and past RBs that on paper look a bit like CJ...and if we could dream, he could have a ceiling like them.
M Faulk 5-10 211 4.33
W Parker 5-10 209 4.28
J Addai 5-11 210 4.40 (I can see why the Colts are interested)
T Dorsett 5-11 192 4.33
C Portis 5-11 204 4.40 (okay not as great as the others, but similar size)

BTW, Westbrook is 5-8 200 4.57

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
jobberone;2030113 said:
There has got to be a WR, RB, or CB at the 22 spot or another player worthy of the pick. It appears Jerry has an out at 28 with Atlanta for a third or the 68th pick. I don't see a problem really with 22 or 28 but I have no problem trading down with Atlanta assuming that is a real scenario.

I personally don't like drafting WR in the first and VR is on record saying they don't want a WR in the first. JJ, Wade and others have all said that. The only WR I like is Thomas and he isnt worth 22 IMO.

CB has only Jenkins in my mind being worth it but he has questions about his work ethic. he is a possibility if the club talks to him and llikes him. Cason is too early here. I know a lot of people like him and I do too but hes just not good value at 22. Talb has two problems that make me turn away. First hes not a very fluid athlete and he prefers to play with the ball in front of him. Thats all well and good for a cover 2 guy but you dont draft those in the first. His second issue is hes failed three drug tests at Kansas. Not that he got high 3 times he failed them. that means hes either stupid or doesnt care either way its bad.

RB has Felix Jones. I again dont like him here. I personally dont like him in the first much less the mid portion of the round. Jstew is constantly hurt. Although he will play through pain, he has had to deal with injuries every year. Running out of an I he is going to deal witha lot more and I dont see him holding up. His bust factor is too high for a position that busts a lot anyway.

Really unless Alberts or Jenkins falls i dont see anyone really worth that pick. We dont need DL, OT, LB, and what not. I guess you could go with that safety from Miami but hell just sit on the bench all year. i really dont like the pick for us.

Either trade up for DRC or Mendenhall or trade out and get one of the top tier 2 RB. The latter is our only chance to get CJ.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2030113 said:
why would jerry trade down?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
DFWJC;2030123 said:
I'm with Sacramento in giving CJ his props for awhile now. I don't think he is the WOW player Jerry was talking about but there is plenty to like.

I've also been using Parker as a comparable based on size and speed and relative style. CJ is a better reciever than Parker--so we get Westbrook comps. But I think Westbrook has better moves and great vision, but is much slower, but has a stronger lower body.

I think CJ will play at 5-11, 207, 4.24 40yd. I see a potentiallly very good runner, great reciever as RB, and very good returner.Here are some present and past RBs that on paper look a bit like CJ...and if we could dream, he could have a ceiling like them.
M Faulk 5-10 211 4.33
W Parker 5-10 209 4.28
J Addai 5-11 210 4.40 (I can see why the Colts are interested)
T Dorsett 5-11 192 4.33
C Portis 5-11 204 4.40 (okay not as great as the others, but similar size)

BTW, Westbrook is 5-8 200 4.57

Parker might be a good comparison, but I wonder if CJ is as quick as Parker as far as cuts and such. Love to see a shuttle and cone time for both of them.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2030109 said:
I'm just saying wow is about name recognition, thats really about it. ...........

I agree, CJ is not the Wow dude because 402 yards in the Hawaii Bowl is not the same as 402 ttl yrds in the Rose Bowl....and ECU is not USC. I still like the guy alot.

Good question regarding the shuttle time. I would like to see an official time even though I've heard he runs the shuttles very well.

Another guy that intrigues me some is Ray Rice. A completley different player, but interesting nevertheless.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2030109 said:
I'm just saying wow is about name recognition, thats really about it. I really don't care if we get a wow player or not, just saying what it is. Chris could be a player once he gets to the NFL, but a wow player from the draft he isn't at all. Heck, we haven't had a wow player in the draft in a long time, every since the bad Roy.

Don't know about a shuttle time. But he is definitely quick compared to who he was playing.

I understand about the wow. Am just saying I don't care about it. That's all. Even if you or I think a player is great, we know they may not perform so well when they get to the Bigs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just some triva on past shuttle times
Here are some shuttle times from 2006 and 2007:

Garrett Wolfe - 4.08
Brandon Jackson - 4.14
Antonio Pittman - 4.16
Brian Leonard - 4.22
Mike Bell - 4.21
Maurice Drew - 4.38
Adrian Peterson - 4.40
Joseph Addai - 4.47
Marshawn Lynch - 4.55

Take with it what you will.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DFWJC;2030146 said:
Just some triva on past shuttle times
Here are some shuttle times from 2006 and 2007:

Garrett Wolfe - 4.08
Brandon Jackson - 4.14
Antonio Pittman - 4.16
Brian Leonard - 4.22
Mike Bell - 4.21
Maurice Drew - 4.38
Adrian Peterson - 4.40
Joseph Addai - 4.47
Marshawn Lynch - 4.55

Take with it what you will.

Is a higher time better? :lmao2:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
jobberone;2030142 said:
Don't know about a shuttle time. But he is definitely quick compared to who he was playing.

I understand about the wow. Am just saying I don't care about it. That's all. Even if you or I think a player is great, we know they may not perform so well when they get to the Bigs.

Guess I care about shuttle cause I would like to know his measureable quickness to go along with all that speed. From what I have been able to find, he didn't run a shuttle or a cone drill.

As for the wow, ok cool, understood.

I don't know, with all the recent events, I'm not feeling too comfortable at our current positions in the draft anymore. Trading up or down is starting to look alot more attractive as of today for me.