Could RB Chris Johnson be our WOW player?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TheCount;2028941 said:
I was high on Charles a while back, but I'm really starting to feel he might be the first of those three taken.

Unless two of the three are gone early in the second we should just let the draft come to us. I know the infighting over pet cats has been fierce here in the last month but any of the three would serve us well.

That being said; JStew in the first baybee.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a sure thing in the draft. Too many things can go wrong. But I'd bet big money he will be around....barring injury, suspension, death....for at least two contracts. And he has elite abilities. He is easily the most underrated RB in the draft this year....along with Rice and Corey Boyd. I'll be very happy if we draft this kid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
sago1;2027539 said:
BTW: Broyhart has OG Brandon Albert going very early & believes that will cause a run at OT so some CBs could fall. He projects Cason as best CB in the draft to go first at around #10 or later followed by McKelvin a few picks later. Like I said above, Cromartie is still on the board per Broyhart when he projects us to take Jenkins.

I believe Albert is a top 15 pick. Maybe top 10. If he is there at 22, I would snatch him up immediatly. Nobody likes this pick but I believe he could be a great player.

Great teams are great at the OL. If you don't have that, you can't be great IMO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2027918 said:
I'd like to see which reports say he shies away from contact, NFLDraftScout, which is the Draft Bible as far as I'm concerned, says he shows the desire to run between the tackles, now they did say that he's not always a contact seeking runner, but that's different than saying he shies away from it

I think that's a myth that's been perpetuated because he's a speed guy

Yes it's a myth. I saw where Moyock said something like that once and it made me cringe. There is a giant difference between avoiding contact because....well, you can...and being afraid to get hit. CJ benches 350 and can be very physical, but he would be a moron not to use his world class speed whenever possible.

As for answering the original poster's question---no, I do not think Jerry was referring to CJ as the WOW player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;2028722 said:
Neither Jackson nor Walker lived up to pre-draft hype.
IMHO you are making my point for me.

But beyond that you are talking guys who weighed 30 pounds more than these guys we are discussing.

Fargas did get 1000 yards last year but he has 2000 in 5 years and plays on one of the worst teams in the league. He is not considered an NFL starter.

That is a preposterous statement. Walker was incredible. His problem was that he started out in the WFL. He was an all-time great type back. Bo was great too but cracked his hip. Anyway, Tony Dorsett was a burner too. Also the NFL 1st or 2nd leading rusher this year was Willie Parker--who seems to be very similar to Chris Johnson...just not as strong.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;2028469 said:
It is hard to discuss this type of stuff without insulting people but let's just say he isn't in any real scouts top 5 right now.

top 5 for what? and what scouts?

btw, Lindy's has him as their #5 RB, and that was before the Combine

jterrell said:
Yes, people knew he was fast. Now fans know he is fast so they are saying stupid things about the guy. Justin Vargas is really fast too. Really fast just doesn't mean much at running back.

He is also versatile if by that you mean he is a slot back type. He just isn't a real running back. He is a track star.

well, that was pretty stupid

you have evidence to back up your opinion? and no, I don't care how much of a draftnik you claim to be, that doesn't mean much, I want to see some links and knocks on the guy that says he isn't a running back

no wonder there is so much ignorance about the guy

jterrell said:
Can he stay healthy? Can he block in the NFL? Can he show patience and vision? Can he break tackles in the NFL? Speed doesn't help in any of those areas and thats why measurables almost never make a good running back.

he benches 350, drives his legs, and retains good balance, that's tackle-breaking qualities right there, he showed vision at ECU, he stayed healthy when he carried his Senior workload, and he blocked much better as a Senior too, even though he needs to continue to improve and keep the same mindset

all these questions can be asked of any back in this draft, since none have yet to do it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chief;2028871 said:
I've read that some teams consider Chris Johnson a slot receiver, the position he played earlier in his college career ... they don't even view him as an NFL running back.

link...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2028878 said:
i have seen people say that but have not actually seen the quotes myself. That said at 6-0 200 lbs he is more than capable physically of handling the outside.

it's a myth! it's one of those crazy things that aren't true, but people repeat it nonetheless

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
I think he is a second round back because he doesn't have much toughness. I really like his speed though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029115 said:
it's a myth! it's one of those crazy things that aren't true, but people repeat it nonetheless

Bob, I didn't look but I have read that he COULD be put in the slot and create problems. I have not read that he SHOULD be put there. So there is ignorance. He certainly is the type of back you use with motion into space including going downfield deeply. Which he did in college. I really don't understand why he isn't in more top five lists but he's in enough. He should be in the top 20 as far as I'm concerned. But no one ever asks me.

I think a lot of people just haven't seen enough of the top RBs in this draft. This is the only position I know reasonably well. I'm not a guru but CJ is just a very good RB. My only problem with him is he's only really been a superstar but one year and there is no knock on what he did last year. He's got enough carries, high average, and all the rest to equate to a first round pick. He'd be a great pick for us. I think our must have need for a CB is more than the need for a 2nd RB. That could hurt us from going to him; assuming he's still available at 28.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2029140 said:
Bob, I didn't look but I have read that he COULD be put in the slot and create problems. I have not read that he SHOULD be put there. So there is ignorance. He certainly is the type of back you use with motion into space including going downfield deeply. Which he did in college. I really don't understand why he isn't in more top five lists but he's in enough. He should be in the top 20 as far as I'm concerned. But no one ever asks me.

oh yeah, I know all about that, I was the 1st to suggest it on here, Brian Westbrook is lined up in the slot sometimes

you can do so many things w/ CJ and I think him and Felix Jones would get more touches than any back that we could draft, just because of their versatility

jobberone said:
I think a lot of people just haven't seen enough of the top RBs in this draft. This is the only position I know reasonably well. I'm not a guru but CJ is just a very good RB. My only problem with him is he's only really been a superstar but one year and there is no knock on what he did last year. He's got enough carries, high average, and all the rest to equate to a first round pick. He'd be a great pick for us. I think our must have need for a CB is more than the need for a 2nd RB. That could hurt us from going to him; assuming he's still available at 28.

I think part of that problem was that he started out at ECU as a WR, so he got into the game late as a RB

from where I'm standing, it's not that different than when Spencer wasn't anything special until his final year where he put up ridiculous numbers

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029151 said:
oh yeah, I know all about that, I was the 1st to suggest it on here, Brian Westbrook is lined up in the slot sometimes

you can do so many things w/ CJ and I think him and Felix Jones would get more touches than any back that we could draft, just because of their versatility

I think part of that problem was that he started out at ECU as a WR, so he got into the game late as a RB

from where I'm standing, it's not that different than when Spencer wasn't anything special until his final year where he put up ridiculous numbers

this is a bit of a tangent but this is why i dont understand the knock on D Thomas. He was a JUCO transfer and didnt get a lot of chances last year and then lit the world on fire this year. If he had caught 35 balls at 13 YPC he would be the concensus number one and near the top 10.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Some of these folks just crack me up.

"He's not in any scout's top 5"...

"He's not even projected as a RB"..

:lmao2: :lmao:

Please back up your lame assertions with some links. Gee thanks. :rolleyes:

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2029282 said:
Some of these folks just crack me up.

"He's not in any scout's top 5"...

"He's not even projected as a RB"..

:lmao2: :lmao:

Please back up your lame assertions with some links. Gee thanks. :rolleyes:
I'm not saying I agree with them, but some draft mags out there say he is the 11th best RB and would make a better WR. Not agreeing, just saying it's true.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
The Rawhide Kid;2029289 said:
I'm not saying I agree with them, but some draft mags out there say he is the 11th best RB and would make a better WR. Not agreeing, just saying it's true.

Lindy's ranked him their #5 back

just sayin'

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029296 said:
Lindy's ranked him their #5 back

just sayin'
I think he's a top back as well. I can't believe some of the RB's that these draft mags have ahead of him. Although, how credible are they when they suggest moving him to WR. Let the Jags take him. That's every QB's dream, a former QB and RB as WR's.:rolleyes:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We haven't used the RB as a downfield weapon like we used to. I assume that is a result of the players not being suitable for it. Not everyone can adjust to deep downfield passes. CJ can do that so I guess some writer needing something to right decided CJ would make a great WR with all that speed.

The guy can catch the ball downfield and I mean greater than 20 yds. I'd love it if we had a RB that could stretch the field like Walker and TD did. How in the world does a LB cover the guy. Well, he doesn't so then a S has to watch for it. Which creates problems for the D.

If Dallas wants the guy they should be able to get him. I imagine that F Jones is a pet if anyone is though.

We'll see. I'm sure most of the league knows the guy. Thankfully there are several guys rated over him.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
DandyDon;2027603 said:
I think the "WOW" player may be - Jamaal Charles
not so sure about charles being the WOW player Jerry was talking about. But as some know that is the player I want to take second round to take care of our RB need. Charles is a very explosive player.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Funny thread concept btw.....you don't pick up your WOW player from a small school in the second round. Jerry may get his WOW player and he may not, it was just something he said. It would be more on the lines of the good Roy Williams or DMac. We said wow when the Pats got Moss, don't think anyone would say wow to Chris Johnson initially at least, he would have to prove himself.

A WOW player for this team is going to be a RB or WR with a big name and makes heads turn. Chris Johnson isn't that.....yet....but who knows what he will be.