Could somebody explain to me why this team drafted a TE in the 2nd round?

Big_D

Reaction score
The team has been getting run over for 2 decades and some still think a 2nd TE that could've easily been filled in FA is a good pick? Can't continue to throw away 2nd round picks when you can't stop the run and have zero depth on the DL or LB. It makes no sense at all. How long are you just going to ignore the real issues here? It's mind-blowing. If you want to hang with the real teams in the NFL, you're not drafting Schoonmaker in the 2nd. Could've went RB, DL, LB, WR .. every single area that cost too much in free agency since this team is allergic to spending. But these morons seem to think every Cowboy already on the roster is good enough. Another big part of the problem. Overvalue what you got.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The team has been getting run over for 2 decades and some still think a 2nd TE that could've easily been filled in FA is a good pick? Can't continue to throw away 2nd round picks when you can't stop the run and have zero depth on the DL or LB. It makes no sense at all. How long are you just going to ignore the real issues here? It's mind-blowing. If you want to hang with the real teams in the NFL, you're not drafting Schoonmaker in the 2nd. Could've went RB, DL, LB, WR .. every single area that cost too much in free agency since this team is allergic to spending. But these morons seem to think every Cowboy already on the roster is good enough. Another big part of the problem. Overvalue what you got.
It will be the same mistake in my opinion if we draft the 7th OT in the first round.

Big_D

Reaction score
It will be the same mistake in my opinion if we draft the 7th OT in the first round.

I agree, Think they're much better off getting an interior linemen and moving Smith back to LT. They can get a top center or guard in that spot instead of reaching for a tackle.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, Think they're much better off getting an interior linemen and moving Smith back to LT. They can get a top center or guard in that spot instead of reaching for a tackle.
If they take a OT at 24 that won't be reaching. There are a legit 7-8 first round talent OTs this year.

But I'm with you. Kick Smith out, Bass at LOG, draft JPJ.

Big_D

Reaction score
If they take a OT at 24 that won't be reaching. There are a legit 7-8 first round talent OTs this year.

But I'm with you. Kick Smith out, Bass at LOG, draft JPJ.
7 or 8 seems extremely rare. I know they found Smith right around the same spot, but I feel like center at this point would be a vital pick. If they went T and left Smith, that center spot will continue to be a problem unless they found one in the 2nd. I don't see anyone already on the roster stepping in. Even FA after the draft. Finding a center will be tougher than replacing the LG.

Chasing6

Reaction score
7 or 8 seems extremely rare. I know they found Smith right around the same spot, but I feel like center at this point would be a vital pick. If they went T and left Smith, that center spot will continue to be a problem unless they found one in the 2nd. I don't see anyone already on the roster stepping in. Even FA after the draft. Finding a center will be tougher than replacing the LG.
An OT with a high ceiling and a low floor that has only started 8 games in college is not a 1st round pick. Pass, thank you very much.

kskboys

Reaction score
Are they?

Big_D

Reaction score
Are they?
I think so.

Smith, ? ,draft, Martin, Steele

If they draft a tackle you have a hole at center and if they draft a center you have a hole at guard. Which is easier to fill sitting at 24? Historically you’re not getting a top tier OT at that point but can certainly get the best center or guard on the board.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

It was not a need. It was a want.

O'Cyrus would be starting and we could have told Martin to pound sand last year when he decided to go on strike.
I disagree because I think Tyler Smith should stay at guard. So Torrence would be a backup for at least two years. Picking him as leverage in a holdout is a bad use of resources imo.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the 'for what it's worth' department....the Cowboys said they would be fine with Hoffman started at center.

I'm not sure how much I buy that. We will find out in a few days.

Big_D

Reaction score
In the 'for what it's worth' department....the Cowboys said they would be fine with Hoffman started at center.

I'm not sure how much I buy that. We will find out in a few days.
Should be interesting. Hoffman at center would be worst case scenario IMO Time to find the long term solution. I don't think that's it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I disagree because I think Tyler Smith should stay at guard. So Torrence would be a backup for at least two years. Picking him as leverage in a holdout is a bad use of resources imo.
Torrence would have replaced Martin and we could have told him to kick rocks or traded him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think so.

Smith, ? ,draft, Martin, Steele

If they draft a tackle you have a hole at center and if they draft a center you have a hole at guard. Which is easier to fill sitting at 24? Historically you’re not getting a top tier OT at that point but can certainly get the best center or guard on the board.
I don't want a low floor high ceiling OT that played 8 games in 3 years because he has all of the measurables and just needs to put it together.

No thanks.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't want a low floor high ceiling OT that played 8 games in 3 years because he has all of the measurables and just needs to put it together.

No thanks.

I agree. I don't know who is on the radar at OT or if anyone happens to fall because of teams possibly going QB? They can't really afford to screw up this pick. We'll see..

Pokes12

Reaction score
why this team drafted a tight end in the second round. That ruined the whole draft for me. Could have gotten a linebacker or an offensive lineman, positions of need. I just didn't get it. Please let me know your opinion on this.
Jerruh does not value a second round pick. Just pick a TE or an injured player and let’s roll the dice. We have a track record of horrible waste of time second round picks. Jerruh and Stevie No Wonder have no clue about managing a football team. They, or at least Jerruh, know how to make money as a snake oil salesman.