Could somebody explain to me why this team drafted a TE in the 2nd round?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Ferguson was a quality, regarded TE coming out of Wisconsin ..ditto with Dalton Schultz,.. and they both were drafted
in the 4th round. mid round draftees. Unless it's a given essential that we're gonna do the Gronk/Hernandez TE tandem
(and we've already mimick that with Witten/Bennett) ..it doesn't make since to draft a TE that high, unless he's gonna instantly
be a featured pass weapon, ala Sam Laporta - who the Cowboys were reportedly targeting in 2nd round, but Schoon became the leftovers.

2. Imo, you don't draft advanced in line blockers as high as the 2nd round. There are later rounds for such workman like players.
Your early rounds are more premium vs overachievers, blue collar serviceable players.
And you have to know he's more player than athlete -for a 2nd rd pick. Apparently club panicked that the TE supply would
be too bare and empty in the upcoming later rounds- thus the " reach" .

3. The problem we had was a regime that was so "over in love" with old man, declining Witten, that we kept him on far longer than
he should have been here. We refuse to accept his declining skills that he became a progress stopper. And even guys like Schultz
could not develop and show their skills ..until we finally got the moxie to tell Witten no more - we're moving on.

It's gonna eventually come down to guys old schooler Zack Martin as well - Future HOF indeed, but when the skills finally decline - we need have
the moxie and guts to finally say " Thanks so much for past moments/years BUT "
Schoonmaker was drafted exactly where he was projected by the draft media...late 2nd.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak wanted bigger targets and more line proetextion . Jerry obliged . Anything to keep Dak happy . What a waste…

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak wanted bigger targets and more line proetextion . Jerry obliged . Anything to keep Dak happy . What a waste…
I remember last season MM talking constantly about wanting to run the ball more. During the draft pressers they gushed about his blocking ability.

They want to run 2 TE sets and run the ball. The issue was that the center and right tackle were both weak at the poa and we were at best inconsistent running the ball. After that became apparent they changed the offense and it became the Dak and CD show.

I don't see that improving too much unless they hit it out of the park with an OL first round, Steele returns to form, and someone like Bass can step up at the pivot but that is a lot of things that all need to go right. Not the highest probability.

At the end of the day, the Cowboys have been excellent at college scouting and decent at opponent scouting but their self scout has been awful. Jerry is definitely involved but blaming it all on him is just copium.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I am, and the NFL is laughing all the way at you saying it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You think the NFL is on your side? You’re so insecure in your lame opinion you needed to insert the NFL on your side! LOL!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Nope. Easily covered.

And think about it. If using two TE's who are both of the 4.6 variety worked, then why isn't everyone doing it?

I'm not a Pats fan, so I don't know all the particulars, but from what I know, when they ran a two TE set it was w/ two TE's(Gronk/Hernandez) who were both stellar receivers and both very fast.
Gronk never ran a 4.4, so there goes your stupid argument!

He actually ran a 4.68. Wow how did he ever get open since he didn’t run a 4.4?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember last season MM talking constantly about wanting to run the ball more. During the draft pressers they gushed about his blocking ability.

They want to run 2 TE sets and run the ball. The issue was that the center and right tackle were both weak at the poa and we were at best inconsistent running the ball. After that became apparent they changed the offense and it became the Dak and CD show.

I don't see that improving too much unless they hit it out of the park with an OL first round, Steele returns to form, and someone like Bass can step up at the pivot but that is a lot of things that all need to go right. Not the highest probability.

At the end of the day, the Cowboys have been excellent at college scouting and decent at opponent scouting but their self scout has been awful. Jerry is definitely involved but blaming it all on him is just copium.
Great post!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
because he could. he said if you could come up with 10 or 20 billion he might think about selling it to you.

kskboys

Reaction score
You think the NFL is on your side? You’re so insecure in your lame opinion you needed to insert the NFL on your side! LOL!
Gronk never ran a 4.4, so there goes your stupid argument!

He actually ran a 4.68. Wow how did he ever get open since he didn’t run a 4.4?
Dang, you lost so badly you had to turn to insults!!! Try again young one, maybe some day you'll get it!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score

You forgot to add that we didn't have a starting quality RB on the roster.

How do you miss the simple stuff, dude? Jerry is the GM. It is on him. I mean, this is so anti-copium!!!!!

basel90

Reaction score

certainly lots of confusion at the FO, the main thing is there is no offensive identity . They try to run sometimes but don't have the structure or depth . So the easy way out is to CD or bust. It was exposed several times. Dak not being mobile adds to this issue.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

How do you miss the simple stuff, dude? Jerry is the GM. It is on him. I mean, this is so anti-copium!!!!!
So one day of carryover. Let's see how long it lasts.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Advertising a run play every time you have a 2 TE set is not hard to defend. Schoon has to be involved in the vertical passing game, other wise it is not going to work.

This could become a strength of our team if they figure out, but we now do not have the OLine. So big picture once again, what was the point of adding him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The draft media is selling clicks, that's all. They say some of the most idiotic things.
So hundreds of men whose career is to study the subject in question should be ignored in favor of unsupported mouthbreathing takes from local posters of questionable acumen amongst other issues.

Cannot say that is quality critical thinking.

Chasing6

Reaction score
So hundreds of men whose career is to study the subject in question should be ignored in favor of unsupported mouthbreathing takes from local posters of questionable acumen amongst other issues.

Cannot say that is quality critical thinking.
So hundreds have the same opinion? No they do not.