Could teams be holding Micah on purpose?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no other reason more valid than intentional bias. Incompetence cannot explain the numbers. Incompetence does even out over time. incompetence would mean that Parsons would get some of these holding calls made, and even would get some phantom calls in his favor. He gets no calls at all.

And this ain't unusual for Dallas.
2017 - Dallas went 8 straight games without getting a holding call of any kind in their favor.
2018 - Dallas went 325 straight opponent passing plays (9 games) without the opponents getting called for holding.

Use Occam's Razor. If incompetence cannot reasonably explain it then it must be intentional.
The refs certainly notice when he commits an infraction.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The opposing coaches would be stupid to NOT tell their players to hold Micah.

the refs aren’t doing their jobs.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
There's no other reason more valid than intentional bias. Incompetence cannot explain the numbers. Incompetence does even out over time. incompetence would mean that Parsons would get some of these holding calls made, and even would get some phantom calls in his favor. He gets no calls at all.

Use Occam's Razor. If incompetence cannot reasonably explain it then it must be intentional.
Show me the numbers on other top pass rushers getting holding calls on pass plays. If guys like Watt, Bosa, Garrett, etc are getting significantly more calls than Parsons then I'll buy into this, and change my tune. I just can't buy into the idea that the officials are bias against the Cowboys if I'm not seeing the calls on those guys either. To me it just feels like the NFL is babying QBs in the pocket.

Creeper

Reaction score
I like how that still shot was actually not a hold when you run the video. And Micah posted it on his social media to boot.

As for on purpose, it's in the rules that holding chances could be exempted during a double team. So I'd double team him all game if I was an offense.
Are you referring to this part of the rule:

"if the action is part of a double-team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either blocker, or is taken to the ground; or"

This seems to exempt holding in double team situations, but notice where it says "unless the defender splits the double team", Seems to me that applies to this play where Micah is literally in between 2 blockers and both are using their arms to obstruct his path.

But the rules does seem to excuse holding in a double team scenario. My question is why? Why is okay for two blockers to hold a defender by grabbing, twisting, turning etc. Maybe that part of the rules should be eliminated so refs don't have to make judgements like that.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It absolutely was a hold. I don't think you even believe yourself at this point. you just can't let it go because you have taken it so far.
You want to break down the video I posted here of the play and explain from the rules how it's a hold with a straight face? And don't use the observation I used on another in here. That poster now admits it's not a hold. Take a peak and tell me what you think? Don't go silent on me now, okay?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Are you referring to this part of the rule:

"if the action is part of a double-team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either blocker, or is taken to the ground; or"

This seems to exempt holding in double team situations, but notice where it says "unless the defender splits the double team", Seems to me that applies to this play where Micah is literally in between 2 blockers and both are using their arms to obstruct his path.

But the rules does seem to excuse holding in a double team scenario. My question is why? Why is okay for two blockers to hold a defender by grabbing, twisting, turning etc. Maybe that part of the rules should be eliminated so refs don't have to make judgements like that.
I have no idea why the rule states that particular exception. It is a bit weird and doesn't really seem to have a function as to why the OL would be at some disadvantage like with the rip move exception when they clearly have the upper hand with numbers.

As for this play, look at the video I posted. It was not a planned double team but the Guard reacting late to Micah quickly beating the Tackle only to push Micah and accelerate him into Tua. So there was not a split, the Guard just arrived over there late.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Was a pass from Miami 42 to the Dal 38 yard line on the play.

There is no clock or quarter info in the video.

silvernblu

Reaction score
I have no idea why the rule states that particular exception. It is a bit weird and doesn't really seem to have a function as to why the OL would be at some disadvantage like with the rip move exception when they clearly have the upper hand with numbers.

As for this play, look at the video I posted. It was not a planned double team but the Guard reacting late to Micah quickly beating the Tackle only to push Micah and accelerate him into Tua. So there was not a split, the Guard just arrived over there late.
I do agree it would be very tough to call holding on that play. I would not have wanted it called against us.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Good thread here. Compares Micah's holding calls forced or lack there of to the other premier pass rushers in the league.

Staggering...

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It was on LandryHat

Probably not supposed to mention another website so they will probably delete.
They posted a Tweet so this should be allowed. Is it this one? This I remember was part of a bunch someone highlighted were missed in this game. This one I rated as marginal, but can see 65 getting called for not letting go fast enough at the end here.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
cannot get that content; can you give a quick list?
The thread includes video of each holding call.

1. TJ Watt - 20 sacks, 86 pressures • Week 16: Watt drew two holding calls in the game.

2. Trey Hendrickson - 20 sacks, 79 pressures • Week 16: Hendrickson’s holding call came in the same game as Watts.

3. Josh Allen - 19 sacks, 90 pressures • Week 12: Allen’s call came on a run play, but not as egregious as some of Parsons’ calls.

4. Khalil Mack - 18 sacks, 88 pressures • Week 12 - Khalil Mack’s holding call came against RB Gus Edwards.

5. Danielle Hunter - 18 sacks, 80 pressures • Week 14: Hunter’s also came on a run play that didn’t look as bad, but clearly the refs thought so.

6. Maxx Crosby - 15 sacks, 94 pressures • Week 17: There’s no replay of this one, but you could see Crosby gets turned by the RT

7. Myles Garrett - 15 sacks, 86 pressures • Week 17: Myles Garrett is a force of nature and going against a LT like Becton was bound to draw a penalty or two.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I like how that still shot was actually not a hold when you run the video. And Micah posted it on his social media to boot.

As for on purpose, it's in the rules that holding chances could be exempted during a double team. So I'd double team him all game if I was an offense.
Looks like that guy has his hand up under Micah's face mask .

Lucky Micah is a nice guy if that was Mike Tyson that guy would have lost a finger