Could The Jones Boys Mean To Tank 2019?

GenoT

Reaction score
Hasn't the entire process with Kellen Moore been "ridiculous"?

I mean he couldn't physically play at the NFL level, but they allowed Linehan to bring his pet project to town with him and gave him a roster spot for several years.

Then, when he showed he couldn't play, they still wouldn't just release him and kept him around as the backup when it was clear the other guy was better.

Next, they handed him their quarterbacks coach job despite never having coached a day in his life!

Followed by a promotion to an offensive coordinator job after barely warming the seat as quarterback's coach!

Moore has followed Garrett's "failing upwards" trajectory from the very beginning, so while I might be dismayed and disgusted, it would not surprise me one bit if the idiots in charge ultimately decided to make him their next head coach.
stash... you do realize that the anointing oil was administered to Kellen a long time ago, right?

:thumbup:

MaaS

Reaction score
Not a chance. Jerry Jones isn't going to purposefully tank on any year. Why would he need to? Garrett could win 12 games and Jones could not renew his deal.

garyv

Reaction score
While I'm already on the ledge this offseason, let's speculate why we are where we are right now at this moment.

First we have Jerry and Stephen talking about how they really, really want to win this year...which is strange and could mean just the opposite, since they never seemed to care too much over the last, oh, decade or so.

Keeping Garrett probably indicates they mean to promote Moore (Genius 2.0) to HC in 2020 and repeat Garrett all over again, but what if the rumors about Sean Payton are true?

What might be an incentive for Sean to tolerate Jerry? Well, a top 10 pick and some cap cash might help.

This might explain why we are sitting on our hands in FA, (although I know we always do that), and possibly low-balling our own.

So I ask you, would Jerry, who is all about revenue, risk TV ratings and one year closer to his coffin in order to reap rewards in 2020? I guess what we do with Tank will be very telling.

It's not tanking the season it's basically letting Garrett or Moore have same talent as last year and forced to advance further than last year or your gone next year this allows the Joneses an out than 1-800-Payton

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO, tanking would take more skill than they have and if they actually called a tank they'd still be a ratings winner. They went 4-12 and people watched. I watched, you watched, we all watched, what the **** is wrong with us? Dunno but we sure have a lot of company.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
It's not tanking the season it's basically letting Garrett or Moore have same talent as last year and forced to advance further than last year or your gone next year this allows the Joneses an out than 1-800-Payton

But why do they need "an out"? They could fire Garrett whenever they like.

garyv

Reaction score
But why do they need "an out"? They could fire Garrett whenever they like.

I believe strongly this you are right they can fire Garrett but the reason they don't because they need him for this season. They can't get Payton till next year or sacrifice draft picks. This way next year both Garrett and Payton's contracts are up same year. It's a easy transaction without sacrificing picks to NO.

I think Payton would jump for the Jonses. I believe both parties like one another and Breese is close to leaving NO.

garyv

Reaction score
Sean Payton has long been connected to the Cowboys as he was once an assistant on their staff under Bill Parcells. His affinity for the area and organization are well-known, but it would be a whole different level of interesting if someone like Bridgewater were to believe that fire could be behind that smoke. Obviously Jason Garrett is currently the head coach of the Cowboys, but Jerry Jones has been firm that he’s not going to give him a new contract ahead of the last year on Garrett’s old one. Jerry has actually been flipping back and forth on the subject of a Garrett extension since the middle of last season, it does make some sense that the Cowboys might be looking at potential options that aren’t the man who’s led them for almost a decade. Garrett’s job is on the line this season, he needs to win big to receive another contract. He doesn’t have a first-round pick, and the Cowboys most likely won’t be spending big in free agency, instead saving their money for re-signing/extending their own players that will help the team long-term. That leaves Garrett in a precarious position.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I'm already on the ledge this offseason, let's speculate why we are where we are right now at this moment.

First we have Jerry and Stephen talking about how they really, really want to win this year...which is strange and could mean just the opposite, since they never seemed to care too much over the last, oh, decade or so.

Keeping Garrett probably indicates they mean to promote Moore (Genius 2.0) to HC in 2020 and repeat Garrett all over again, but what if the rumors about Sean Payton are true?

What might be an incentive for Sean to tolerate Jerry? Well, a top 10 pick and some cap cash might help.

This might explain why we are sitting on our hands in FA, (although I know we always do that), and possibly low-balling our own.

So I ask you, would Jerry, who is all about revenue, risk TV ratings and one year closer to his coffin in order to reap rewards in 2020? I guess what we do with Tank will be very telling.
Make no mistake....Jerry Jones desperately wants Jason Garrett to win. That’s HIS boy. HIS “Tom Landry”. If Jerry was truly serious about really trying to win a SB, he wouldn’t keep Garrett as his HC.

IMO, all the tanking and Sean Payton talk is wishful thinking. The absolute only way JJ fires Garrett is if the Cowboys are truly terrible and the team quits on Garrett. Something like 5-11, team is out of contention early. But even 9-7, 8-8, I see Jerry excusing his boy’s mediocrity and keeping him around.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

As much as I would like to believe there is this grand master plan going on behind the scenes, the truth is there just is not.

This is just a badly run franchise that has become increasingly frugal over these past years. Dallas is actually 30th in the league in cash spent even though this franchise is number one in revenue generated each year. So we make the most and spend virtually the least. Like I said, winning championships is not the priority in Dallas.

Fire407

Reaction score
They don't want to tank, but they don't want to go all in to win either. Actually it's harder to tank in football than basketball. Every player, especially the ones on the bubble, are always going to try their best because their future depends on it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Boy Genius II for the lolz!

Best. Timeline. Ever.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
While I'm already on the ledge this offseason, let's speculate why we are where we are right now at this moment. First we have Jerry and Stephen talking about how they really, really want to win this year...which is strange and could mean just the opposite, since they never seemed to care too much over the last, oh, decade or so.

o_O

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we aren't returning what we had; we're down two significant players at the moment, and Tank up in the air. Nobody knows what Moore will do at OC (though granted he HAS to be better than Linehan). Getting Fred back is great news.

If Tank doesn't play, all bets are off. Otherwise, we haven't lost anyone not easilly replaced.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Ridiculous! The FO is following the same strategy as they have in the past 3-4 years. How did that work out for JG?

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
This FO isn't competent enough to come up with a plan, much less execute it. They just blunder through each day like drunken stooges, making clueless random decisions. These clowns make the keystone cops look like NASA scientists. If they actually tried to tank, they'd probably win a super bowl.

garyv

Reaction score
Make no mistake....Jerry Jones desperately wants Jason Garrett to win. That’s HIS boy. HIS “Tom Landry”. If Jerry was truly serious about really trying to win a SB, he wouldn’t keep Garrett as his HC.

IMO, all the tanking and Sean Payton talk is wishful thinking. The absolute only way JJ fires Garrett is if the Cowboys are truly terrible and the team quits on Garrett. Something like 5-11, team is out of contention early. But even 9-7, 8-8, I see Jerry excusing his boy’s mediocrity and keeping him around.

If Jerry was all that Happy with our playoff win last year than what you say is valid. Why do you think Jerry is waiting for a Contract Extension ? Why wait ? he has an out that's why.