Courtland Sutton will wear a Star

RomoFor6

Reaction score
Or a team looking to rebuild it's WR corp.

I don't get the logic really. Should they not look to draft new receivers if they cut their old ones? Doesn't drafting new mean cutting the old was a mistake?

I agree with the OP somewhat. I'm getting the Sutton vibe but I won't pretend to know what the Cowboys are really thinking like he is doing. Sounds good but he's guessing.
At the end of the day Sutton is just a worse version of Dez. If they go receiver in the first at least go in a different direction skill set wise - Moore, Miller, Ridley, Chark, etc. Still wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade but going with a worse version of Dez isn't really improving

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
DJ Chark is physically more talented, plus was the Senior Bowl co-mvp. I would take Chark.
ykCNCn7.jpg

CowboyChris

Reaction score
You want another guy that cant separate after we just got rid of one?
like I said earlier, he fits right in perfectly, besides like @CATCH17 always says we wouldn't know how to use a Ridley or a Moore, for once he's right about something....:rolleyes:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
If they use the first round pick on Sutton....... I will be so pissed.
I will be equally as pissed if Harold Landry is on the board at #19 and we pick someone else, Now if Landry is gone, I won't mind a WR at 19 but i still prefer Moore over Ridley and Sutton.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the end of the day Sutton is just a worse version of Dez. If they go receiver in the first at least go in a different direction skill set wise - Moore, Miller, Ridley, Chark, etc. Still wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade but going with a worse version of Dez isn't really improving

Not as physically talented I agree but also not a complete moron who won't work to maximize his talent nor be divisive in the locker room talking about teammates that are the head coach's "guys".

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's Sutton at 19 there is no chance I'm going to feel like he was the BPA. I'd feel like it's somewhat of a reach but not OMG what are they doing. If they trade down into the 20s and take Sutton then it's much more logical to me.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
If it's Sutton at 19 there is no chance I'm going to feel like he was the BPA. I'd feel like it's somewhat of a reach but not OMG what are they doing. If they trade down into the 20s and take Sutton then it's much more logical to me.
it was Steve Smith who said after the Dez release..."you never go to the grocery store when you are hungry"

rkell87

Reaction score
They liked Roy Wi11iams enough coming out to trade for him after showing he's not worth it so it won't surprise me if we do some more dumb **** like draft Sutton.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Loved Sutton for the past two seasons so I'm fine with it really. We're talking pick 19 here folks, not top 10.

Well it could have been higher if we didn't put that dominant whoppin' on the Eagles at the end of the season. Worth it!

JBS

Reaction score
What does Seattle picking at 18 have to do w anything? You tried to make a point and failed..

Tristan

Reaction score
I am going to save a people alot of time and misery between now and the draft, Sutton will be your first round pick come Draft Day. Book It ! Print It ! Jot it down whatever.

This team telegraphs almost every move it makes, Everyone knew Dez was going to be shipped off once the season ended, in some form or fashion.

So for those who are still holding out hope for OG, LB, and especially a DT don't get you hopes up too high, this team now has to save face for the Dez Bryant saga, and nothing else can make a splash more than taking a WR.

Why Sutton you say? the whole NFL knows this, and Seattle sits there at #18 which btw would love to trade out and get a few extra picks, so don't count on Ridley being there at 19 either, besides Sutton is more in the line of a WR1 that team always covets, big, tall, WR with a big catch radius its a natural fit.

Personally, I feel a good WR will be there in the 2nd, but no way Jerry and Co miss out on the big splash on day one.

Don't Shoot the Messenger
I have that feeling as well and think hell be a top 25 pick either way, hes a beast

Sandyf

Reaction score
I am going to save a people alot of time and misery between now and the draft, Sutton will be your first round pick come Draft Day. Book It ! Print It ! Jot it down whatever.

This team telegraphs almost every move it makes, Everyone knew Dez was going to be shipped off once the season ended, in some form or fashion.

So for those who are still holding out hope for OG, LB, and especially a DT don't get you hopes up too high, this team now has to save face for the Dez Bryant saga, and nothing else can make a splash more than taking a WR.

Why Sutton you say? the whole NFL knows this, and Seattle sits there at #18 which btw would love to trade out and get a few extra picks, so don't count on Ridley being there at 19 either, besides Sutton is more in the line of a WR1 that team always covets, big, tall, WR with a big catch radius its a natural fit.

Personally, I feel a good WR will be there in the 2nd, but no way Jerry and Co miss out on the big splash on day one.

Don't Shoot the Messenger
I think you are right about Sutton, just the wrong round. Could be the 2nd although depending on how the board falls, I could easily see us waiting until the 4th or 5th to take a WR.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
What does Seattle picking at 18 have to do w anything? You tried to make a point and failed..
my point is Seattle is rumored to want to trade out of 18, there is a good chance Ridley goes there, leaving us with Moore and Sutton to choose from.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Overview
Sutton is a possession receiver who has the size and toughness to handle a heavier target load if necessary, but he will need to improve as a route runner because his play speed and separation is nothing special. Sutton's ability to win in contested catch situations could get him early playing time as a second or third receiver, but he may not have the explosiveness to ever become a top-flight WR1.

Strengths
  • Has big, durable frame for heavy lifting
  • Inaccurate quarterback limited potential of his production over last two seasons
  • Doesn't get hung up easily by contact
  • Willing worker in the middle of traffic
  • Unfazed by oncoming contact and is able to focus throughout the catch process
  • Plays like basketball big man
  • Puts defender on his hip and keeps him there on slants and crossing routes
  • Uses body positioning and extended catch radius to pry open throwing window for his quarterback
  • Uses subtle, calculated hand-fighting that allows for sudden, late separation on jump balls
  • Consistent at working back to underthrown balls to help his quarterback
  • Has the confidence of a top-flight target
  • Physical blocker who will square and sustain to help spring his running back

Weaknesses
  • Play speed feels non-threatening
  • Faster cornerbacks squat on routes and consistently contest his catches
  • Route wiggle is average and feel gradual rather than sharp
  • Has tendency to coast by on size and scheme over pattern effort and technique
  • Defaults to bodying smaller cornerbacks rather than working for cleaner windows
  • Doesn't show much separation burst on first and second levels
  • Inconsistent ball skills when adjusting late to throws
  • Won't scare defenses with catch-and-run
  • Can't get it cranked back up for yards after catch if he has to slow feet
  • Struggled to get anything going against quality competition like TCU and UCF

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I think you are right about Sutton, just the wrong round. Could be the 2nd although depending on how the board falls, I could easily see us waiting until the 4th or 5th to take a WR.
there's a good chance we may be picking our 2nd WR of the draft in rounds 4 or 5, and with good reason