Courtland Sutton will wear a Star

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
From the draftanalysis website. Take it for what its worth.

Despite needing a wide receiver, I’m told the Dallas Cowboys do not consider Courtland Sutton of SMU a first-round talent. They would consider him in Round 2 if they don’t address the position in Round 1 and Sutton falls that far.
Translation - If Dallas doesn’t get Moore or Ridley in round 1, they will target Sutton in round 2.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
from now till the draft, we are going to hear all kinds of things, some true, some smoke, for instance a couple of days ago we heard rumors that LVE is off many boards
You’re right. The NFL draft is simultaneously the most important AND most overrated part of football. It can immediately make your team better, but fans and sports pundits act like there are 300 guys in each draft that are going to really be good players. In reality, maybe 60 players will last in the NFL more than 3-4 years.

There may be 50 starters in a draft, 15-20 Pro-Pro Bowlers in a draft, 5-10 All Pros a draft, and maybe 1 HOFer in a draft.....and hundreds of guys we will all forget in a year or two.

Keep the draft in perspective. It’s good...and overrated.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You’re right. The NFL draft is simultaneously the most important AND most overrated part of football. It can immediately make your team better, but fans and sports pundits act like there are 300 guys in each draft that are going to really be good players. In reality, maybe 60 players will last in the NFL more than 3-4 years.

There may be 50 starters in a draft, 15-20 Pro-Pro Bowlers in a draft, 5-10 All Pros a draft, and maybe 1 HOFer in a draft.....and hundreds of guys we will all forget in a year or two.

Keep the draft in perspective. It’s good...and overrated.

How is it overrated?

It's effectively the primary way new talent is brought into the league.

For teams it's vitally important because it's the cheapest way to add talent to your roster.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Seems the OP is looking more spot on by the day. Hope the kid has the mental fortitude that everyone is saying he has.

morasp

Reaction score
"He’s not polished like most of these guys coming out, but a great athlete, and he’s a moldable piece of clay.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article209285469.html#storylink=cpy

I absolutely hate the idea of taking a developmental/potential guy in the first round. I also hate the idea of overcompensating on offense when they already used the lions share of the free agency on two wide receivers and two offensive lineman. Three of the linebackers from last year are gone including a starter and we signed one backup. They're probably hoping that this guy can turn out to be the next Calvin Johnson but he reminds me of another Lions first round bust Mike Williams.

Overview
Sutton is a possession receiver who has the size and toughness to handle a heavier target load if necessary, but he will need to improve as a route runner because his play speed and separation is nothing special. Sutton's ability to win in contested catch situations could get him early playing time as a second or third receiver, but he may not have the explosiveness to ever become a top-flight WR1.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/courtland-sutton?id=32462018-0002-5600-18de-e88c26b17c1c

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is it overrated?

It's effectively the primary way new talent is brought into the league.

For teams it's vitally important because it's the cheapest way to add talent to your roster.
Notice I did say it was MOST IMPORTANT and OVERRATED. It’s both. Yes it’s very important because if done right, it is the primary way you rejuvenate your roster. Where it’s overrated IMO, is only about 1/3 of the players selected in the draft will even play NFL football for more than 3 years. Most players drafted will be out of the league in a few years. That part is the overhype because we talk about literally hundreds of college players, looking at college highlight tapes and declaring them “future stars” when they are just marginal NFL players.

I never said the draft was not important. It is very important. There will be some great players drafted. Just a little more than a couple dozen in an entire NFL draft will be long term NFL players. But the “hype” associated with it is the part that is completely overrated IMO.

cnuball21

Reaction score
"He’s not polished like most of these guys coming out, but a great athlete, and he’s a moldable piece of clay.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article209285469.html#storylink=cpy

I absolutely hate the idea of taking a developmental/potential guy in the first round. I also hate the idea of overcompensating on offense when they already used the lions share of the free agency on two wide receivers and two offensive lineman. Three of the linebackers from last year are gone including a starter and we signed one backup. They're probably hoping that this guy can turn out to be the next Calvin Johnson but he reminds me of another Lions first round bust Mike Williams.

Overview
Sutton is a possession receiver who has the size and toughness to handle a heavier target load if necessary, but he will need to improve as a route runner because his play speed and separation is nothing special. Sutton's ability to win in contested catch situations could get him early playing time as a second or third receiver, but he may not have the explosiveness to ever become a top-flight WR1.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/courtland-sutton?id=32462018-0002-5600-18de-e88c26b17c1c

Unfortunately a lot WR's drafted are developmental guys. It's pretty seldom that you get kids that are great route runners coming out of college due to how many spread offenses there are in college.

A good comp I've read on him was Demaryius Thomas, who came from a heavy running, option based team at GT. Dude had all the physical trails to be a stud but was a terrible route runner.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Translation - If Dallas doesn’t get Moore or Ridley in round 1, they will target Sutton in round 2.

And with 10 picks in this years draft...we could See Dallas taking a LB or DT in round 1 and when Round Two rolls around and if Courtland is still there...they pull a D.Lawrence move by trading up in the second to get the WR (Courtland or someone else) they really like.

morasp

Reaction score
Unfortunately a lot WR's drafted are developmental guys. It's pretty seldom that you get kids that are great route runners coming out of college due to how many spread offenses there are in college.

A good comp I've read on him was Demaryius Thomas, who came from a heavy running, option based team at GT. Dude had all the physical trails to be a stud but was a terrible route runner.

That coincides with a discussion I saw earlier that showed a pretty high failure rate of first round WR picks. Missing on first round picks is a real bugaboo for teams like us that are trying to build our roster through the draft so we better have a high level of confidence with the pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That coincides with a discussion I saw earlier that showed a pretty high failure rate of first round WR picks. Missing on first round picks is a real bugaboo for teams like us that are trying to build our roster through the draft so we better have a high level of confidence with the pick.

All of the players we seemed to be tied to for the pick at 19 I think would be reaches. If our board is wiped out I'd prefer to trade down for one of the those guys, but if we don't have a partner and have to take one I get it as most of them won't be available at 50.

IF that happens, I'd reach on the LB/DT as there will be great value at WR in the 2nd and 3rd.

morasp

Reaction score
All of the players we seemed to be tied to for the pick at 19 I think would be reaches. If our board is wiped out I'd prefer to trade down for one of the those guys, but if we don't have a partner and have to take one I get it as most of them won't be available at 50.

IF that happens, I'd reach on the LB/DT as there will be great value at WR in the 2nd and 3rd.

Trade down sounds good to me unless a real blue chip falls due to a lot of QBs being taken. We seem to have a lot of positons that could be upgraded and more draft picks would help.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Trade down sounds good to me unless a real blue chip falls due to a lot of QBs being taken. We seem to have a lot of positons that could be upgraded and more draft picks would help.

My thoughts exactly...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree but it they want him and don't have a trade partner it's either take him at 19 or miss out at 50.
You dont target players you target values, or else you lose at the draft.
If you can't trade down for some crazy reason you can always trade back up. You have 10 total picks.
Moving around to proper value slots to end up with a good number of top 150 player should be the goal.
Then you draft those positions full of depth in rounds 4-6 and you've probably had a good draft.
Reach at 19 and you are playing behind the rest of the draft.

IMHO a WR may be the BPA at 50 so I'm not wed to a WR at 19 by any means.
BUT, if I strongly lean to a WR with my first pick then I Travis Frederick/Demarcus Lawrence this thing and get down and grab my guy at reasonable value.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Why do we want more picks? We have 10 already. We should be moving up to get better quality.

Something I'm also open to for the right players...but again you have to have a partner that is willing to make the trade.

I'm speaking to the scenario in that we don't have an option to move up or back.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You dont target players you target values, or else you lose at the draft.
If you can't trade down for some crazy reason you can always trade back up. You have 10 total picks.
Moving around to proper value slots to end up with a good number of top 150 player should be the goal.
Then you draft those positions full of depth in rounds 4-6 and you've probably had a good draft.
Reach at 19 and you are playing behind the rest of the draft.

IMHO a WR may be the BPA at 50 so I'm not wed to a WR at 19 by any means.
BUT, if I strongly lean to a WR with my first pick then I Travis Frederick/Demarcus Lawrence this thing and get down and grab my guy at reasonable value.

I agree, but again, sometimes you don't have the option to trade back and you have to take your guy.

Sutton, Moore, LVE, Evans, Payne, Hernandez, Wynne...all these dudes are late 1st/early 2nd for me.

The positions we need help on are all shaping up to be similar grades IMO.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Something I'm also open to for the right players...but again you have to have a partner that is willing to make the trade.

I'm speaking to the scenario in that we don't have an option to move up or back.
The tough part about 19 is hoping someone falls to us then hoping you aren't reaching too high for a player. I wont judge the draft until I watch it and see who was available when we picked.