Coverage: Cowboys LBs vs Pollard

Prime21

Reaction score
This is good to see. LVE and Jaylon are two of the more athletic LBs in the game. If we can use Pollard as a receiving threat enough teams might decide to cover him with a CB instead of LB like we did against Kamara. That means some light boxes to run against.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He’s really the only guy we have with that skill set out of the backfield. Elliott is a good pass catcher but he’s not as quick as Pollard.

Hope Moore finds ways to use him.
I agree, but Zeke is still faster than LBs. He'd win these matchups too, more often than not, as he did against the Lions.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is good to see. LVE and Jaylon are two of the more athletic LBs in the game. If we can use Pollard as a receiving threat enough teams might decide to cover him with a CB instead of LB like we did against Kamara. That means some light boxes to run against.
Jaylon's athleticism is pretty limited to planting his foot and running in a straight line. He's not particularly good when he has to flip his hips and get depth, so he's not particularly good in coverage.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not many. I guess you didnt see the quote from Dak and Cooper either? Or from Witten covering their games on Monday night football. Or maybe you just havent watched the Cowboys the last 12 years. Or maybe looked at the stats on the amount of deep passes compared to the league?

The problem is not necessarily that they don't call enough deep balls, it's also tied to the fact Dak simply doesn't pull the trigger either.

Trying to blame the lack of deep balls on just play calling is preposterous.

Sydla

Reaction score
The point of the thread is that Pollard is the same player in both videos but beats Jaylon by several yards but Vander Esch only by a couple of feet.

Which means what? Jaylon stinks? LVE is wayyyyyy better? Or was it just a play where Smith just didn't play it well and LVE did and that's all it is?

I am trying to see the bigger picture here.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Rush hits that throw to Pollard for an 80 yard TD!...lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not many. I guess you didnt see the quote from Dak and Cooper either? Or from Witten covering their games on Monday night football. Or maybe you just havent watched the Cowboys the last 12 years. Or maybe looked at the stats on the amount of deep passes compared to the league?

Just stop with the silliness, dude. I have no idea what you’re talking about, and I’d be shocked if you did either.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The problem is not necessarily that they don't call enough deep balls, it's also tied to the fact Dak simply doesn't pull the trigger either.

Trying to blame the lack of deep balls on just play calling is preposterous.

LOL...…...right. So why didn't we throw a lot of deep balls with Romo either? Noodle arm? Dink and dunk Romo were some of the stupid names that he was called.

This has all been documented. Garretts offense are heavily devoid of deep balls, play action, rub routes, ect…..ect…

Dak and Cooper had to throw out the play and go deep one game, just to get it done.

But like a troll, you blame Dak. And what did we hear from Gallup this year? That they are doing more deep balls why? Wait for it...…….wait for it...………...because Dak requested they do more.

And why would he do that? Duh...……………………..because he wasn't happy with the amount of deep balls they were doing before and had to go out of his way to request it.

Any more silly comments? Another troll debunked!!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just stop with the silliness, dude. I have no idea what you’re talking about, and I’d be shocked if you did either.

No, I agree, you have no idea what I am talking about. You have no clue. You obviously don't read, don't pay attention, and don't watch much Cowboys stuff.

quickccc

Reaction score
what I was waiting to read from a post or two was .. what happens when (if?) Kellen has play designs where BOTH zeke and pollard are in the same backfield at the same time ?

where both lining up in the same backfield but once Pollard moves around and goes in motion and formations, defenders are forced to move around and go with him ... and that's when we get the LB mismatches to our advantages.

But of course we have to clearly establish Pollard as a productive threat and make it work, before defenses are forced to counter-scheme us to better defend him.

- Here comes the " other" luxury. If they think they can go to a nickel back to cover Pollard (ala Jordan lewis vs Kamara) that's having a DB sub in vs a LB, ...and one less run defender vs zeke run game and with his elite run skills and power, that's a busted tackle and a big run gain or TD waiting to happen.

- Plus if Kellen is imaginative with how to use Pollard in the pass game, ... then he should be imaginative with the way he can use zeke in the pass game as well.
He's no slouch as a dangerous receiving threat as well. He's proven he can be a one touch, game-breaking threat in pass game as well (ala quick screens for long TDs and gains, and Lions game)

Imo, he's far valuable and skilled to be limited to Linehan dump offs.
Although a lengthy zeke hold out this year doesn't help matters in learning/practicing such pass design plays. :confused:

- Opposing teams felt they simply had to try to 'sneak' in some nickel packages vs Rams' marshall faulk because of the way his receiving skills mimic more as a WR than a pass catching back and LBs simply didn't have a chance of matching up with him.

But the downside knock on such a defensive gamble was one added DB means one less LB and Faulk would run all over that DB,..add that to the pace nd tempo of the Greatest Show on Turf with getting in and out of huddles all day, it made it that much harder to try to sub in and out.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL...…...right. So why didn't we throw a lot of deep balls with Romo either? Noodle arm? Dink and dunk Romo were some of the stupid names that he was called.

This has all been documented. Garretts offense are heavily devoid of deep balls, play action, rub routes, ect…..ect…

Dak and Cooper had to throw out the play and go deep one game, just to get it done.

But like a troll, you blame Dak. And what did we hear from Gallup this year? That they are doing more deep balls why? Wait for it...…….wait for it...………...because Dak requested they do more.

And why would he do that? Duh...……………………..because he wasn't happy with the amount of deep balls they were doing before and had to go out of his way to request it.

Any more silly comments? Another troll debunked!!!!!

And yet, when people looked at the all-22 last year, there were times Dak had the chance to hit a deep ball and he either checked down or just missed the WR.

For example, there were a handful of deep passes Prescott refused to make in the Commanders game we lost last year. He missed Swaim on a deep ball, he missed Gallup twice on deep balls and in those cases, he was looking right at the receivers and simply couldn't pull the trigger.

Note, nowhere did I say it's Dak's fault as if he's the sole problem. He was not. Play calling was an issue too last year. But the reality is our problems in the deep passing game weren't just due to one thing or the other.......... it was a combination of things.

You are so ultra-defensive of Dak it's almost comical at this point. You can't have a rational conversation about our QB play with you.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I agree, you have no idea what I am talking about. You have no clue. You obviously don't read, don't pay attention, and don't watch much Cowboys stuff.

I’ll take that agreement that neither of us knows what you’re talking about and consider it a win then since the two of us have so little common ground, otherwise.

quickccc

Reaction score
Jaylon's athleticism is pretty limited to planting his foot and running in a straight line. He's not particularly good when he has to flip his hips and get depth, so he's not particularly good in coverage.

But yet apparently his coverage skills were good enough that allowed Jaylon to be the only LB in the pass nickel packages.
Even playmaking rookie LVE was left on the sideline in favor of Jaylon.

Maybe Jaylon isn't Derrick Brooks at this point and stage, but apparently the coaches think much of his physical ability to match up with RBs and TEs in the pass game.

quickccc

Reaction score
I agree, but Zeke is still faster than LBs. He'd win these matchups too, more often than not, as he did against the Lions.

I think zeke can too.
it's all about the creativity of the OC, .. Linehan did not fully exploit zekes' receiving skills in the pass game, imo.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Simply put. If he wants a big payday, he HAS to hit these during the regular season.

He missed a ton of these to Gallup last season.
umm you glossing over that JS got burned badly by a rookie RB? both are issues been issues all have to be corrected..

aikemirv

Reaction score
So he is right that Dak missed "a ton"?

Ill ask again, how many bombs did Dak and Gallup not hit on last year? Waiting
Gross or net ton?

Ton is a bunch in passes thrown jargon.

Couple is 2

Few is at least 3

Few become a bunch when they are memorable

Bunch become a ton when emphasis is needed!

Some, Few, Several, and Many
Actually, no. While many people would agree that "a few" means three or more, the actual dictionary definition of "a few" is, "not many but more than one." So, "a few" cannot be one, but it can be as low as two.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
But yet apparently his coverage skills were good enough that allowed Jaylon to be the only LB in the pass nickel packages.
Even playmaking rookie LVE was left on the sideline in favor of Jaylon.

Maybe Jaylon isn't Derrick Brooks at this point and stage, but apparently the coaches think much of his physical ability to match up with RBs and TEs in the pass game.
There are two LBs on the field in nickel.

Jaylon is never used in man coverage down the field, and rarely is in man coverage on anyone other than a flats TE or leaking RB. He is excellent at sitting in zone and driving on the ball/receiver when plays are in front of him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
What is the league success rate on deep throws?

What should be the success rate when the receiver is open by 2 yards or more and the QB has ample time to throw?

That is the only question that I really care about. And then, if it is a miss, how much do they miss by on average. I am not doing the work on that. My impression from watching the games is that Dak misses more than he should!