Cowboys 1996-2020

MrPhil

Reaction score
I was fresh out of college and starting my first real job in '96. I am approaching 50 now and way closer to retirement than Super Bowl XXX.......

Western

Reaction score
From 1989 - 1993, it is a fact that Jimmy Johnson controlled all player transactions, had complete oversight of the entire football department, and hired and fired his own coaching staff.
Jerry deserves no credit for the football accomplishments during Jimmy's tenure -- Jerry's only 'credit' is that as the owner, he offered Jimmy complete control of football operations in February 1989, while Jerry was preoccupied and consumed with restructuring the finances of the Cowboys business organization due to Jerry forking over 90 million, and borrowing another 50 million to purchase the Cowboys for 140 million in 1989.

As far as the Switzer hire by Jerry, the 1994 and 1995 roster, and the coaching staff were for the most part holdovers from the championship model developed by the Jimmy regime.
Prior to free agency/salary cap, "super" teams could win with mediocre head coaches -- for instance, George Seifert (inheriting a winning team/organization complied by Bill Walsh) won super bowls with the 49ers.

Jimmy's lack of championship success with the Dolphins, was because Jimmy was never truly committed to winning at all costs in Miami -- burnout (he wanted to retire following the 98' season), a lack of offensive identity with an aging Marino, and no running game, & an absence of valuable tradable players in retooling the roster plagued his brief tenure with the Dolphins.

Jimmy was the only true architect of the Dallas dynasty.

The undisputed fact remains that Jerry has accomplished nothing for 26 years since Jimmy left in 1994, which only underscores, and sheds truth to the verification that Jimmy was the sole reason for the Cowboys football success from 1989 - 1995.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I was fresh out of college and starting my first real job in '96. I am approaching 50 now and way closer to retirement than Super Bowl XXX.......
I was drinking hard in the 90's, partying it up. Now I drink even more waiting for the good times to return.

dckid

Reaction score
Oh so now the standard is just making the Super Bowl, not winning the Super Bowl. Cool.
The standard is having the opportunity to make the SB, putting yourself in position. Man the more your post the worst you look.
I really hate saying that.
Why do you think the Spurs were so beloved? The Pats? Or even Lebron.
You know with Tim Duncan, every year you would win 50 plus games and be in the western conference finals.
Same with the Pats, the fact that they made so many championship games and got the SB 9 times is mind boggling.
Again going back to Lebron, making 8 straight finals is amazing
From 1989 - 1993, it is a fact that Jimmy Johnson controlled all player transactions, had complete oversight of the entire football department, and hired and fired his own coaching staff.
Jerry deserves no credit for the football accomplishments during Jimmy's tenure -- Jerry's only 'credit' is that as the owner, he offered Jimmy complete control of football operations in February 1989, while Jerry was preoccupied and consumed with restructuring the finances of the Cowboys business organization due to Jerry forking over 90 million, and borrowing another 50 million to purchase the Cowboys for 140 million in 1989.

As far as the Switzer hire by Jerry, the 1994 and 1995 roster, and the coaching staff were for the most part holdovers from the championship model developed by the Jimmy regime.
Prior to free agency/salary cap, "super" teams could win with mediocre head coaches -- for instance, George Seifert (inheriting a winning team/organization complied by Bill Walsh) won super bowls with the 49ers.

Jimmy's lack of championship success with the Dolphins, was because Jimmy was never truly committed to winning at all costs in Miami -- burnout (he wanted to retire following the 98' season), a lack of offensive identity with an aging Marino, and no running game, & an absence of valuable tradable players in retooling the roster plagued his brief tenure with the Dolphins.

Jimmy was the only true architect of the Dallas dynasty.

The undisputed fact remains that Jerry has accomplished nothing for 26 years since Jimmy left in 1994, which only underscores, and sheds truth to the verification that Jimmy was the sole reason for the Cowboys football success from 1989 - 1995.

Thank you and I agree 100%. The only good thing Jerry ever did was hire Jimmy Johnson, otherwise he is the worst owner in football. Jerry should be kissing Jimmy Johnsons feet every morning. Jerry does not make the Hall of Fame, does not have any Super Bowls without Jimmy.

Jerry is so stupid, he is drunk at the owners meeting and says 500 coaches could win with this football team. He bought the most incompetent football coach possible a guy who was run out of Oklahoma and who ran the wishbone offense. I mean just imagine if something like that happened in todays NFL. You are dumb enough to fire a back to back SB winning coach, you hire someone who is the polar opposite. Switzer wasn't qualified to run a pee wee league team and he was coaching the Cowboys. Bumping reps, eating hot dogs, missing Saturday walk throughs, not wearing headsets on the sideline. That was such a disaster.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The standard is having the opportunity to make the SB, putting yourself in position.
Nope. That has not been your point.

Your original comment about "not being close to making a championship game" is also massively wrong, though I ignored it.
Dude, you have been lapped by the field. No one even knows what your argument is anymore.
My argument is that your point is stupid. It's an indictment of Jerry as an owner that specifically leaves out the three Super Bowls he won and ignores the context of doing the same exercise with other teams.

It's got no context and, to my original point, it is choosing a data set to support your narrative, not making a point based on any actual data.

dckid

Reaction score
Nope. That has not been your point.

Your original comment about "not being close to making a championship game" is also massively wrong, though I ignored it.

My argument is that your point is stupid. It's an indictment of Jerry as an owner that specifically leaves out the three Super Bowls he won and ignores the context of doing the same exercise with other teams.

It's got no context and, to my original point, it is choosing a data set to support your narrative, not making a point based on any actual data.
Whatever floats your boat.
It seems that almost every other poster has been able to comprehend the point I was making and this entire thread, and only you are fighting and reading in between the lines. I am not trying to hurt your feelings, just stating facts that this organization has been inept since the last Super Bowl appearance and win. I have no agenda. I am not cooking the books to show something one way or another.
You obviously are trapped by Jerry's gravity so be happy go lucky and think everything is fine over the past 25 years. Carry on, nothing has changed. We like our guys. We are always trying to win the Super Bowl. Jerry Wink and finger snap

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Whatever floats your boat.
It seems that almost every other poster has been able to comprehend the point I was making and this entire thread, and only you are fighting and reading in between the lines. I am not trying to hurt your feelings, just stating facts that this organization has been inept since the last Super Bowl appearance and win. I have no agenda. I am not cooking the books to show something one way or another.
You obviously are trapped by Jerry's gravity so be happy go lucky and think everything is fine over the past 25 years. Carry on, nothing has changed. We like our guys. We are always trying to win the Super Bowl. Jerry Wink and finger snap
For the 1,000th time. I get your point. It has been made on this board dozens and dozens of times, and it's dumb every time.

Love that you're putting words in my mouth now. Did I say he's a good GM? No. Do I think he's a great owner? Not particularly. Do I think this roster is flawed? Yes.

But the "since 1996" argument is totally stupid, because you can find a period like that for every franchise.

Mannix

Reaction score
------But the "since 1996" argument is totally stupid, because you can find a period like that for every franchise.

"period" ??? It's been a quarter of a century! And it should never happen to a franchise with unlimited resources, and no salary cap on the GM and Coaching staff. Ok, your witness.

dckid

Reaction score
For the 1,000th time. I get your point. It has been made on this board dozens and dozens of times, and it's dumb every time.

Love that you're putting words in my mouth now. Did I say he's a good GM? No. Do I think he's a great owner? Not particularly. Do I think this roster is flawed? Yes.

But the "since 1996" argument is totally stupid, because you can find a period like that for every franchise.
Live and let live! So how do we move forward with this organization?
Is signing Dak the best option moving forward?

Doomsday77

Reaction score
The Cowboys record from 1996-2020 208 wins , 192 losses. 8 games above .500
The proof is in the pudding. We have become a mediocre average team that has lived on reputation for 25 plus years.
Forget SB wins we have not even been close to making a Championship game.
This is what Jerry wants, these are the results Jerry is happy with. He and the front office don't care about winning a SB. They care about making as much money as possible, and I don't begrudge him for that at all.
Jerry cares about the sizzle not the steak. He wants the team to be .500, a game above a game below it really does not matter to him.
As long as they are in a playoff run, talking heads are going crazy, Zeke, Dak, Romo, Dware, Lawrence.. 3-4 nationally televised games. Jerry is a pig in mud. His face is plastered on TV, Jerry world was packed.
You all probably are sick of me... ( I know some of you are). Jerry has three rings, is a HOF, bought the team for 150 million now its worth over 5.5 billion. A SB is the least of his concerns.
Let other teams worry about that. He doesn't care that this is the same organization that a 20 year run of being a winning team. This team made 8 of the first 30 Super Bowls.
He does not care about winning another SB. Even though I realize that and have 100% belief I still get frustrated and upset more than I should.
I know signing Dak to 40 per year is cap hell, the upside and downside are about the same. We get a Goff, Wentz, Kirk Cousins type QB, we will go 7-9 through 9-7 and that is all Jerry cares about. As Feynman said. "Don't fool yourself as you are the easiest to fool". I am fooling my self as a fan into thinking this FO actually has a plan.
This organization cannot recognize its own strengths and weaknesses. They don't take the logical step to try and improve.
We are most likely headed for another generation of being mediocre. The title of Americas team will be long gone, we will be almost two generations from being a contender.
Just some sobering links:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/index.htm
Let's see 208 (minus) 192 = 16 last I checked but yeah this is the new norm around here. But hey there is always next year!!

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I disagree. Jerry absolutely wants to win. He's got plenty of money. I reject the idea that he is putting profit in front of winning. Winning would bring even more profit! The team is generally spending the full salary cap each season, so there is no financial advantage to losing.

The problem is his ego. He also wants to play GM, and he clearly sucks at it. He is delusional, and fails to realize his shortcomings in this role.
Agreed, he cares about winning but as you said, to feed his ego. If he wouldn't have ever received the gold jacket (which was a farce), I think he would be much more serious about his role as an owner and perhaps step down as a GM. That said, the gold jacket is his ticket to paradise and sadly sealed our fate as fans of a once proud organization.

Motorola

Reaction score
So in other words, arbitrary. Or selective, whichever.

You can paint an ugly picture for every team if you leave out the years that they're actually good lol. What are the 9ers since their last title? Bears? Vikings? It's a pointless exercise.
But 'Future' .....'rnr_ mrhoney badger' and 'dckid' do not care about the 9ers, or Bears, or Vikings longtime lack of success.
They only care about the Dallas Cowboys----and no other NFL team.

dckid

Reaction score
But 'Future' .....'rnr_ mrhoney badger' and 'dckid' do not care about the 9ers, or Bears, or Vikings longtime lack of success.
Ding ding Ding... we have a winner.
I never thought in my years of being a Cowboy fan that some other fan would compare the Bears or Vikings to the Cowboys!!!
At least the Niners had the 80's and early 90's. They have 5 SB's, Montana, Rice, Young..
Bears were great before the SB era..
Jerry flaunts the Cowboy name, but we got no backing. Pull back the curtain and its empty.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't matter.

You have to have context or you're just making up standards that are impossible to achieve. "Good," "average," "successful," etc. are entirely meaningless without the context of doing the same thing for peers. .

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
YES I GET IT. If you do that for any team, it's the same thing. Go ahead and do the 9ers since 1995, or the Dolphins since 1975, or the Bears since 1986. Every team/owner/GM/coach looks worse when you start evaluating them AFTER their last success.

It's just a totally pointless exercise.

All three of those teams, have been to the Super Bowl since those posted dates. Am I missing something?