Cowboys 1996-2020

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm going to be a Brown' fan now being Dallas & Cleveland traded places. :muttley:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
All three of those teams, have been to the Super Bowl since those posted dates. Am I missing something?
Well the Dolphins sure haven't, but that's not the point anyway. They all had 20-something year periods where they didn't appear. The list of teams with 25-year periods in between Super Bowl periods is just about all of them. Several have much, much longer droughts.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well the Dolphins sure haven't, but that's not the point anyway. They all had 20-something year periods where they didn't appear. The list of teams with 25-year periods in between Super Bowl periods is just about all of them. Several have much, much longer droughts.

Dolphins, lost to the Skins 1983, Pasedena. I understand what you are saying, but the poster was stating his frustration with the team he follows. I don't care if my neighbors wife can't cook, I am only concerned with the burned food sitting on my table.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dolphins, lost to the Skins 1983, Pasedena. I understand what you are saying, but the poster was stating his frustration with the team he follows. I don't care if my neighbors wife can't cook, I am only concerned with the burned food sitting on my table.
Ah, yea you're right.

But regardless, you don't know if the food you have is good or not if you haven't tasted the neighbor's.

Big_D

Reaction score
From 1989 - 1993, it is a fact that Jimmy Johnson controlled all player transactions, had complete oversight of the entire football department, and hired and fired his own coaching staff.
Jerry deserves no credit for the football accomplishments during Jimmy's tenure -- Jerry's only 'credit' is that as the owner, he offered Jimmy complete control of football operations in February 1989, while Jerry was preoccupied and consumed with restructuring the finances of the Cowboys business organization due to Jerry forking over 90 million, and borrowing another 50 million to purchase the Cowboys for 140 million in 1989.

As far as the Switzer hire by Jerry, the 1994 and 1995 roster, and the coaching staff were for the most part holdovers from the championship model developed by the Jimmy regime.
Prior to free agency/salary cap, "super" teams could win with mediocre head coaches -- for instance, George Seifert (inheriting a winning team/organization complied by Bill Walsh) won super bowls with the 49ers.

Jimmy's lack of championship success with the Dolphins, was because Jimmy was never truly committed to winning at all costs in Miami -- burnout (he wanted to retire following the 98' season), a lack of offensive identity with an aging Marino, and no running game, & an absence of valuable tradable players in retooling the roster plagued his brief tenure with the Dolphins.

Jimmy was the only true architect of the Dallas dynasty.

The undisputed fact remains that Jerry has accomplished nothing for 26 years since Jimmy left in 1994, which only underscores, and sheds truth to the verification that Jimmy was the sole reason for the Cowboys football success from 1989 - 1995.

miami owner would not let him replace Marino which was pretty foolish. You can’t ask someone to build your team while sticking with a QB who was obviously on the down side. So after 4 years he brought in some quality players but the QB position killed them. A sentimental decision for the Dolphins!

Big_D

Reaction score
Anyone who can still defend this clown lost their minds. I come to terms he isn’t going anywhere, but his track record is pure garbage. The guy’s anazz!

Motorola

Reaction score
Ding ding Ding... we have a winner.
I never thought in my years of being a Cowboy fan that some other fan would compare the Bears or Vikings to the Cowboys!!!
At least the Niners had the 80's and early 90's. They have 5 SB's, Montana, Rice, Young..
Bears were great before the SB era..
Jerry flaunts the Cowboy name, but we got no backing. Pull back the curtain and its empty.
Look up the the history, 'dckid' --Cowboys-Forty-Niners playoff games still remains one of the best rivalries in the NFC and NFL.
After the NFL-AFL merger that created the NFC and AFC, the first two NFC Championship games we're between Dallas and San Francisco, followed by one of the most thrilling divisional round postseason games ever - and the Cowboys came out on top in all three - 17-10, 14-3, 30-28.
And it SF-DAL postseason thrillers continued in the 80's and 90's.
You must not be a Cowboys Fan --- because you are trolling - listing Niners greats - but no Cowboys Icons that are equal in stature = Aikman, Irving, Smith.
And by the way - the Super Bowl titles count is the same = 5 apiece.

Last edited:

9of11

Reaction score
Very sad we had 8 double digit wins since Jerry fired Jimmy...every year after been even or less in wins....Jerry should have been fired a long time ago...

Steve007

Reaction score
I disagree. Jerry absolutely wants to win. He's got plenty of money. I reject the idea that he is putting profit in front of winning. Winning would bring even more profit! The team is generally spending the full salary cap each season, so there is no financial advantage to losing.

The problem is his ego. He also wants to play GM, and he clearly sucks at it. He is delusional, and fails to realize his shortcomings in this role.
I agree Jerry wants to win and it's his ego. The culture in Dallas is bad and Jerry puts image and entertainment (and himself) over football.

dckid

Reaction score
Look up the the history, 'dckid' --Cowboys-Forty-Niners playoff games still remains one of the best rivalries in the NFC and NFL.
After the NFL-AFL merger that created the NFC and AFC, the first two NFC Championship games we're between Dallas and San Francisco, followed by one of the most thrilling divisional round postseason games ever - and the Cowboys came out on top in all three - 17-10, 14-3, 30-28.
And it SF-DAL postseason thrillers continued in the 80's and 90's.
You must not be a Cowboys Fan --- because you are trolling - listing Niners greats - but no Cowboys Icons that are equal in stature = Aikman, Irving, Smith.
And by the way - the Super Bowl titles count is the same = 5 apiece.
Motorola,
You got me all wrong brother. I was responding to the guy who kept say what have the niners done since their last SB, or the Bears or Vikings. How long those teams have had SB droughts...
That 92 championship game was one my most memorable life moments, after that I had a couple of kids so perspectives change. I still go watch that game on youtube, since my VHS copy no longer exists.
The 94 Championship was one of my worst moments, I still remember that game to this day.
I have waxed poetically about how amazing the 92 game was when Jimmy sitting on a 24-20 lead chose to throw the slant to Harper on first down and 70 yards later I knew we were going to the Super Bowl. What a moment,
I was just saying in my post at least the Niners have some clout and can be compared to the Cowboys, not the Bears or Vikings.

dckid

Reaction score
All three of those teams, have been to the Super Bowl since those posted dates. Am I missing something?
Actually Yes the have...
The Dolphins really were an elite team in the 70's with Shula and into the 80s with Marino. Yeah that one SB in 84 was a big disappointment. Obviously Dolphins fans are not die hard like Cowboys fans, maybe its the weather and having so many other things to do I guess.
I guess college football is bigger in Florida than the Dolphins... Having said all that.. I don't care about the Dolphins. I do know they are in better shape right now that we are.

dckid

Reaction score
Dolphins lost to the Skins and Riggo and then lost to Montana. So they went to 2 SB's since their last win...

Thomas82

Reaction score
He would rather lose doing it HIS way....then win doing it someone else's way. He is so far down this path....that he can't turn back. He would not even enjoy winning if it came with someone other than himself at the controls. He has a SPECIAL level of sickness. And I wish I and all the other fans could find a way to pull ourselves away from this sick show...so it could hit him where it hurts. Because we CANNOT....NOTHING will change.
That about sums it up!!

Thomas82

Reaction score

To piggyback off this post, the Dolphins also lost to the 49ers, I believe in Super Bowl XIX. It was the year Dan Marino became the NFL's first 5,000-yard passer.

dckid

Reaction score
For the 1,000th time. I get your point. It has been made on this board dozens and dozens of times, and it's dumb every time.

Love that you're putting words in my mouth now. Did I say he's a good GM? No. Do I think he's a great owner? Not particularly. Do I think this roster is flawed? Yes.

But the "since 1996" argument is totally stupid, because you can find a period like that for every franchise.
Hey @Future your boy Jerry finally admitted what I have been saying. He cares about eyeballs, tv networks, the Cowboy brand.
Not once did he mention he wants to do his all to win another SB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hey @Future your boy Jerry finally admitted what I have been saying. He cares about eyeballs, tv networks, the Cowboy brand.
Not once did he mention he wants to do his all to win another SB.
He very literally did not say that, relative to winning.

Moron.

dckid

Reaction score
He very literally did not say that, relative to winning.

Moron.

hahaha.
If I was Jerry his quote should have been I wake up every morning with the goal of taking this team back to the Super Bowl.
Not once did he say that? The majority of what he was saying how much he cared about attendance at the stadium, the interest of the networks, the training camp attendance, promotion of the team.
I work everyday to make the team stays relevant and interesting...
Did he even mention SB???? 7-9 to 9-7 and he is a happy as a clam.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
So in other words, arbitrary. Or selective, whichever.

You can paint an ugly picture for every team if you leave out the years that they're actually good lol. What are the 9ers since their last title? Bears? Vikings? It's a pointless exercise.

How is it arbitrary? The last time they won a title was 1995. After which this team has taken a long slow descent into mediocrity which is surrounded by bravado based on something that was accomplished over two decades ago. Nothing arbitrary about it.

Redline360

Reaction score
He cares about winning as it would only bring in more profit however his ego will rather see him defeated then have someone else get the credit.

If it wasnt for Jimmy and before his ego went more out of control he may very well have been one of the worst owners in nfl history