Signed by Cowboys Cowboys add Darian Thompson as assistant LB and QC coach

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point is that Jerry set out with a goal to condense the coaching staff down immensely and cut salary in that dept. he started by firing Philbin who made over 2 million. He’s hired a few assistants like chinyoung and now Floyd with little experience. The less experience you have as a coach = the less salary you get paid.

Schottenheimer who has experience isn’t calling the plays and has less duties than a normal coordinator so he’s probably getting paid less. My point was exactly what I said that Jerry has allocated most of the coaching money to Quinn. Which is fine and this philosophy isn’t far from the organizations free agency approach….bargain bin shopping hoping you can get similar results as higher paid players.

What was your point ?
Comically wrong.

They had too many Chiefs and nor enough Indians..."Philosophical Differences".

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These are assistants to the assistant coaches. Glorified interns. It's an extra hand to help out the team while giving them some coaching experience.
Most getting film together and preparing it for meetings. From games as well as practice.
QC - Quality Control, that is gathering and preparing film and other things and as you mentioned.

It is not like they are going to impact what the players do. But hey, it is something for some fans to whine about.

Maverick84

Reaction score
Between this and the Floyd addition today the quality of our control on defense should be outstanding.
unless they're trying to control our quality... I mean we have so much of it already, it's not an easy job

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Comically wrong.

They had too many Chiefs and nor enough Indians..."Philosophical Differences".
Not comically wrong….they had 29 coaches. That’s an incredibly large staff. When you have a large coaching staff like that then of course the higher the odds are for philosophical difference. That’s just basic rule of large numbers. The more cooks in the kitchen the more likely it is that things get lost in communication.

There’s no coincidence why the staff has shrunk immensely and there’s ties to most of the coaches who have been brought in. The first move jerry did was fire an o line coach who actually did very well this season- there was absolutely a financial aspect to some of these moves as has been hinted at by guys like eatman and others.

The average nfl coaching staff is between 10-15 coaches. We are doubling and in some cases close to tripling other staffs- with little return on investment. The coaching staff move is to get all the coaches aligned on the same page and absolutely cut costs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not comically wrong….they had 29 coaches. That’s an incredibly large staff. When you have a large coaching staff like that then of course the higher the odds are for philosophical difference. That’s just basic rule of large numbers. The more cooks in the kitchen the more likely it is that things get lost in communication.

There’s no coincidence why the staff has shrunk immensely and there’s ties to most of the coaches who have been brought in. The first move jerry did was fire an o line coach who actually did very well this season- there was absolutely a financial aspect to some of these moves as has been hinted at by guys like eatman and others.
You agree with me in the first paragraph then throw in comments by clueless Eatman.

McCarthy said after a game when they struggled to run the ball that they had problems due to the DL shifting just before the snap.

That was a fail by the OL coach.

They hired Schottenheimer to implement a new run scheme. They hired the OL coach that worked with Schottenheimer at his last OC coaching job.

McCarthy wants to establish unity on the staff. That's obvious if you really listen to what he says in the press conferences/interviews.

The only negative is that with Philbin & the RB coach getting blame for run game issues, the Joneses might conclude that Zeke's failures were due to those issues...

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
You agree with me in the first paragraph then throw in comments by clueless Eatman.

McCarthy said after a game when they struggled to run the ball that they had problems due to the DL shifting just before the snap.

That was a fail by the OL coach.

They hired Schottenheimer to implement a new run scheme. They hired the OL coach that worked with Schottenheimer at his last OC coaching job.

McCarthy wants to establish unity on the staff. That's obvious if you really listen to what he says in the press conferences/interviews.

The only negative is that with Philbin & the RB coach getting blame for run game issues, the Joneses might conclude that Zeke's failures were due to those issues...
I mean 2 things can be true here 1) the cowboys want to reduce the staff to have a clear vision and same voice so to speak I do agree there. 2) it can also be financially motivated- I believe it’s both. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. You don’t agree? Good for you. They’ve added 3 new assistants with virtually no experience at all- doesn’t mean it won’t work btw but also no coincidence Imo. They come cheap and wont muddle the line of communication.

Sure, McCarthy wants to establish unity but he also wants to put things into his own hands as this year is a huge year for him personally in regards to his job. I’m very aware the relationship between schottenheimer and Mike solari. Solari was also in San Fran and as a player was a cowboy for Landry.

I also disagree that eatman is clueless on the cowboys. I think for the guys connected to the team especially from dc.com he’s pretty good. He’s also not the only person to hint that the shrinking the staff had some financial motivations.

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Does he have any previous coaching experience? :huh:
That's what he's getting. He's not the LB coach he's an assistant to him. Basically a intern. Dallas had 29 coaches last yr. They were talking about some of these assistants don't have anything to do football related