Cowboys Admission of Guilt

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me be clear so that I don't have to read a bunch of lazy brain responses. I and every Cowboys supporter want to watch the Cowboys succeed.

Hoping LVE turns out to be the second coming of Urlacher. Looking back or criticizing yourself to me is about learning the lesson and improving. Yesterday's pick was in general a full admission of guilt from the DC that they made a big mistake with the Jaylon Smith pick. They were hoping that he would eventually take over and play MLB and play every down next to Sean Lee for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he may still end up turning his career on full blast this season. But it won't be what they were envisioning. 2nd round picks need to contribute more than he has, and he will be used elsewhere like Sam which may be his best fit. Not going to be playing tons of downs if LVE works out like they are hoping and Sean Lee stays healthy (also like they are hoping).

Hopefully, the Cowboys learned that character concerns and injury concerns are definitely enough to take the player off till like the 5th round if not altogether. This crap about Jerry having an advantage because of his job security is bulsh. Just because you can take greater risk does not improve your odds of hitting the lottery...
Agreed. And as evidenced in your post, (using the word "hoping" or "hopefully" 5 times) so much of the Cowboys' FO strategy always seems to center on the word "hope". There's an old saying in sports management, "Hope is not a strategy". And because the Jones boys have no accountability for failure, they too often take foolish chances with second round picks like Randy Gregory or Jaylen Smith, simply hoping they work out. It's ok to take a chance on a guy, just make it rounds 5-7.

Let's HOPE this all changes, lol.

JustChip

Reaction score
Still waiting on what you are attempting to accomplish. Are you wanting to make an argument that you believe they didn't want Jaylon to be MLB?

So. If Smith is a central piece of a top 10 defense at SAM instead of Mike, who cares? Charlie Waters was a WR when drafted to play corner and failed, or at least significantly under-performed there, and then moved to Safety and became an All-Pro. In your thinking, the Cowboys failed with Waters.

I wasn't onboard with the Smith pick simply because they gambled a high 2nd the year after doing that with Gregory, which has failed. Gamble once, ok, but not back to back.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Agreed. And as evidenced in your post, (using the word "hoping" or "hopefully" 5 times) so much of the Cowboys' FO strategy always seems to center on the word "hope". There's an old saying in sports management, "Hope is not a strategy". And because the Jones boys have no accountability for failure, they too often take foolish chances with second round picks.

Let's HOPE that changes, lol.

Hoping is all I got. At this point anyone that declares how great the season is going to be or some player is going to be before anything real happens-just goes right around me. I don't listen to the eternal optimists selling sand to someone dying of thirst. Too many trying to delude themselves into believing the Cowboys are going to the SB in the next three years based on crap the Jones family keeps selling. Yes-I too hope this happens (not buying any lotto tickets and planning a trip to the bahamas though).

Blitzen

Reaction score
So. If Smith is a central piece of a top 10 defense at SAM instead of Mike, who cares? Charlie Waters was a WR when drafted to play corner and failed, or at least significantly under-performed there, and then moved to Safety and became an All-Pro. In your thinking, the Cowboys failed with Waters.

I wasn't onboard with the Smith pick simply because they gambled a high 2nd the year after doing that with Gregory, which has failed. Gamble once, ok, but not back to back.

I would be ECSTATIC if that happened and Smith becomes all pro. My general point was that the Jaylon pick was made because JJ and crew get to gamble on picks with no accountability. The fact that the process is way off script and they must now fill a hole created that might not need to be if they were not gambling and just sticking with boring solid picks. My point is that you can build a solid consistent contender that can deal with injury when you do this repeatedly over the course of time. It's not all about luck and happen chance with these draft picks (smart teams limit the luck variable and do not act impulsively or flippant with their assets).

JustChip

Reaction score
I would be ECSTATIC if that happened and Smith becomes all pro. My general point was that the Jaylon pick was made because JJ and crew get to gamble on picks with no accountability. The fact that the process is way off script and they must now fill a hole created that might not need to be if they were not gambling and just sticking with boring solid picks. My point is that you can build a solid consistent contender that can deal with injury when you do this repeatedly over the course of time. It's not all about luck and happen chance with these draft picks (smart teams limit the luck variable and do not act impulsively or flippant with their assets).

Fair enough. But I'm ok gambling a 2nd on a top 10 talent, just not often, certainly not back to back years. In hind-sight, the Jaylon gamble was the one to take and not Gregory.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Fair enough. But I'm ok gambling a 2nd on a top 10 talent, just not often, certainly not back to back years. In hind-sight, the Jaylon gamble was the one to take and not Gregory.

I'm not with that type of injury history (the team doctor says that he had seen large recovery for many of the former patients with the same injury and prognosis but with the caveat that he wasn't sure what that would mean as far as football function). Those second rounders are so useful-a very decent to good contributing player for at least 4 years on the cheap. They are big golden bars when appropriated correctly. And it makes it even worse when another comparable top talent was almost certainly going to play the rookie season at the same position (but that may have knee injuries one day) ala Myles Jack.