Cowboys Admission of Guilt

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just think the FO has been very reactive. With the Taco pick last year and LVE this year. They seem like there looking to plug holes in the draft (which is understandable for a coach who's on the hot seat). But they'll never get ahead this way. I believe there were better players on the board.
I’m not going to argue there were better players or talent on the board but when you have glaring weaknesses at certain positions they probably outweigh and dictate your decisions .

With defense being our weakness for several years it’s difficult for me to fault for addressing them using our top picks.

Now if we hadn’t taken risk in recent second rounds like with Jaylon and Gregory and the bust of Claiborne we possibly might not need to place as much need on defense.

But the point remains defense is a greater need assuming we’re set at QB and we have been addressing more last 2 drafts at least so far. I believe if we’re going to criticize for past failures or questionable decisions we must give some credit for at least trying to correct them.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
But the point remains defense is a greater need assuming we’re set at QB and we have been addressing more last 2 drafts at least so far. I believe if we’re going to criticize for past failures or questionable decisions we must give some credit for at least trying to correct them.

What you are describing drafting for need and being reactive. It's not a good way to draft.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What you are describing drafting for need and being reactive. It's not a good way to draft.
It’s better than some of the risk we’ve taken.
I’ll take whatever progress we can muster.

Ideally you’d like to take the best player available but when you’ve made mistakes in the past it often dictates your path.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Salary Cap era also dictates a different strategy as well in draft and free agency.

Since you can’t retain all of your starters into their second contract teams find themselves more often drafting for position than BPA or patching in free agency,

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Let me be clear so that I don't have to read a bunch of lazy brain responses. I and every Cowboys supporter want to watch the Cowboys succeed.

Hoping LVE turns out to be the second coming of Urlacher. Looking back or criticizing yourself to me is about learning the lesson and improving. Yesterday's pick was in general a full admission of guilt from the DC that they made a big mistake with the Jaylon Smith pick. They were hoping that he would eventually take over and play MLB and play every down next to Sean Lee for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he may still end up turning his career on full blast this season. But it won't be what they were envisioning. 2nd round picks need to contribute more than he has, and he will be used elsewhere like Sam which may be his best fit. Not going to be playing tons of downs if LVE works out like they are hoping and Sean Lee stays healthy (also like they are hoping).

Hopefully, the Cowboys learned that character concerns and injury concerns are definitely enough to take the player off till like the 5th round if not altogether. This crap about Jerry having an advantage because of his job security is bulsh. Just because you can take greater risk does not improve your odds of hitting the lottery...
Why do people feel the need to always compare white linebackers only to other white linebackers? I hope he is the second coming of Ray Lewis, so there you have it.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
They are all Needs WR, G and LB..regardless for starters or backup we had needs to fill and is Rsmith or James wasn't there it was Evans VS LVE and how do you know who had who rated BPA when they picked..I heard many sportcasters say LVE was the 3rd best LB in the draft and he was 3rd off the board so a coin flip the cowboys had to have reason of Lve over Evans , they were close in talent but LVE showed more measurable..we need to wait and see how the draft works out before we hard judge.. so some are disappointed some are fine with it.. the cowboys considered him the pick and ill give them the benefit of the doubt until i see otherwise..
I think Dallas chose LVE over Evans because, they think he is more versatile.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You know when the Panthers drafted Shaq Thompson in the 1st round that was an admission of guilt on Keuckley. Or was it Thomas Davis?

Well I need to read up more on this theory.

Circumstances matter. Kuechly was already off to a potential all pro career and obviously was not being replaced. Though I strongly doubt they expected Davis to stay healthy considering his previous three ACL surgeries. Take a LB to hedge your bets, Davis was drafted in 2005 (his story is fantastic and rare).

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Circumstances matter. Kuechly was already off to a potential all pro career and obviously was not being replaced. Though I strongly doubt they expected Davis to stay healthy considering his previous three ACL surgeries. Take a LB to hedge your bets, Davis was drafted in 2005 (his story is fantastic and rare).

Why are you so stuck on the Jaylon Smith thing that you are not willing to apply the same logic to the Cowboys?

Do you expect Sean Lee to play every down for the next 3 years? What if they’re hedging their bet against Lee staying healthy at age 32/ Jaylon maybe not getting to the all pro potential he had in college but maybe still being a probowl/ very good LB.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Very poor and lazy post. You do realize teams need THREE starting LBers, right. We lost a starter in Hitchens and needed a replacement. LVE is that replacement and he’s also an upgrade. Like far too many on here, all you want to do is whine and *****.
Heck I am hoping we draft another LB in round 4 or later.

superonyx

Reaction score
Still waiting on what you are attempting to accomplish. Are you wanting to make an argument that you believe they didn't want Jaylon to be MLB?
And the Jags wanted Myles Jack to be their MLB....but they are sure happy to have Myles Jack the OLB.

The Realist

Reaction score
Wow people are short sighted. Sean Lee will be 32 and has been injury prone. Wilson is on last year of rookie deal. One day soon Lee and Wilson will be gone. In the mean time we have 4 LB’s we are comfortable playing. LVE and Jaylon are the future at LB. Drafting LVE does not mean Jaylon was a mistake.

To the poster who said we drafted for need as if that’s a bad thing. Any position we would have drafted would have been a need. He probably would have been happy with Ridley and WR is a need. So is S, G, etc.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Let me be clear so that I don't have to read a bunch of lazy brain responses. I and every Cowboys supporter want to watch the Cowboys succeed.

Hoping LVE turns out to be the second coming of Urlacher. Looking back or criticizing yourself to me is about learning the lesson and improving. Yesterday's pick was in general a full admission of guilt from the DC that they made a big mistake with the Jaylon Smith pick. They were hoping that he would eventually take over and play MLB and play every down next to Sean Lee for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he may still end up turning his career on full blast this season. But it won't be what they were envisioning. 2nd round picks need to contribute more than he has, and he will be used elsewhere like Sam which may be his best fit. Not going to be playing tons of downs if LVE works out like they are hoping and Sean Lee stays healthy (also like they are hoping).

Hopefully, the Cowboys learned that character concerns and injury concerns are definitely enough to take the player off till like the 5th round if not altogether. This crap about Jerry having an advantage because of his job security is bulsh. Just because you can take greater risk does not improve your odds of hitting the lottery...

Completely disagree. They drafted the best player on their board, which is what they are supposed to do. There have been rumblings out of Dallas for the last few weeks that they loved the kid and they clearly did. He was one of fifteen players they had a first round grade on, was 100% medically cleared, the scouts love him, Marinelli thinks he is on a level with his favorite all time LB Brian Urlacher.

And it isn't all about Jaylon Smith. Sean Lee will be 32, missed five games last year and has missed significant time in four of the last six years. I hope both Smith and Lee suit up for all 16 games, but the odds are seriously against that happening. Dallas would have been hosed if/when that happens because the drop off behind those two is immense.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I interpreted yesterday's pick as addressing a unit that's dangerously thin and needed some serious depth. There is not much behind Jaylon and Lee.

With your logic, if the DC pick another LB today and/or Sat, they're admitting LVE was a bust.

:hammer: As if we don't need MULTIPLE players at the position?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
In case you missed it, and obviously you did, they lost Hitchens to free agency. And as far as what I’m trying to accomplish I’m just not going to give fans like you that come here a whine like a school girl about EVERYTHING the Cowboys do a pass. You reap what you sow.

Hey Dude, I think the board has had enough of this stuff. Seriously, last night at draft time, there was a lot of positive comments and many of us were happy we didn't reach at WR and went LB, etc. You were nowhere to be seen and ironically, everyone was happy. Your only goal in threads is to specifically call out people. It's turned pretty trollish that you attack anyone without your opinion. And please save me the "its only the negative people." It's a message board. You aren't the police here. Move along and if you don't have football comments, zip it.

As far as the OP....I like the pick because Lee is getting older and already had issues staying on the field. We will still see with Jaylon but overall we really went downhill with Lee help. RoMac was the last person we could plug in and not lose much. We desperately needed that.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Lee was outstanding last year but he's far closer to the end of his career than to the beginning of it.

I view this as his being able to coach up his replacement so LVE can step into his shoes in 2-3 seasons.