Cowboys Admission of Guilt

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Go watch the rams, packers, chargers and eagles game from last year and then tell me they didn’t need linebacker help. Seriously.

The fact that he can play in space and run is the best part. That touchdown to gurley and the packers doing whatever they wanted running the ball last year should tell everyone how bad this team needs linebacker help
:hammer::hammer:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Let me be clear so that I don't have to read a bunch of lazy brain responses. I and every Cowboys supporter want to watch the Cowboys succeed.

Hoping LVE turns out to be the second coming of Urlacher. Looking back or criticizing yourself to me is about learning the lesson and improving. Yesterday's pick was in general a full admission of guilt from the DC that they made a big mistake with the Jaylon Smith pick. They were hoping that he would eventually take over and play MLB and play every down next to Sean Lee for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he may still end up turning his career on full blast this season. But it won't be what they were envisioning. 2nd round picks need to contribute more than he has, and he will be used elsewhere like Sam which may be his best fit. Not going to be playing tons of downs if LVE works out like they are hoping and Sean Lee stays healthy (also like they are hoping).

Hopefully, the Cowboys learned that character concerns and injury concerns are definitely enough to take the player off till like the 5th round if not altogether. This crap about Jerry having an advantage because of his job security is bulsh. Just because you can take greater risk does not improve your odds of hitting the lottery...

I think it's certainly an admission that MLB is not Jaylon's best fit, but not that drafting him was a mistake. If Kris Richards uses Smith like Seattle has used its SLB then he could end up being a great pick to pair with Lee and LVE on downs where we use three linebackers. Then his ability to play nickel along with LVE's might help extend Lee's career because the team will actually be able to afford to take the injury-prone 31-year-old off the field more.

So while Jaylon didn't turn out to be the MLB the team wanted, drafting LVE gives Dallas more options with its LB corps than having Wilson as the third LB.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Let me be clear so that I don't have to read a bunch of lazy brain responses. I and every Cowboys supporter want to watch the Cowboys succeed.

Hoping LVE turns out to be the second coming of Urlacher. Looking back or criticizing yourself to me is about learning the lesson and improving. Yesterday's pick was in general a full admission of guilt from the DC that they made a big mistake with the Jaylon Smith pick. They were hoping that he would eventually take over and play MLB and play every down next to Sean Lee for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he may still end up turning his career on full blast this season. But it won't be what they were envisioning. 2nd round picks need to contribute more than he has, and he will be used elsewhere like Sam which may be his best fit. Not going to be playing tons of downs if LVE works out like they are hoping and Sean Lee stays healthy (also like they are hoping).

Hopefully, the Cowboys learned that character concerns and injury concerns are definitely enough to take the player off till like the 5th round if not altogether. This crap about Jerry having an advantage because of his job security is bulsh. Just because you can take greater risk does not improve your odds of hitting the lottery...
Can see your point and it is a good one. I look at it very differently. When Smith was drafted, it was to eventually take Lee's spot at the WILL but Smith we were told could play all three LB spots. Now the NFL offensives are moving to more wide open offensives especially with mobile QBs that run the RPO which also means more spreading the ball around. With the RPO, you need LBs that for the most part do not come off the field so in a 4-3 you basically need a WILL - MIKE - WILL not a SAM guy that just helps on the run defense. LVE appears to be a better fit at MIKE but again can play all 3 spots.

Based on what we know (which isn't much really), Smith is starting to look like he did in college. Is it? When we get to training camp then we will see and know but right now I would say that both Lee and Smith will line up on either side of Vander Esch as the starting LBs. Again late July we will know for sure.

GMO415

Reaction score
Lee has lest years than more .LVE is hopefully his replacement

gimmesix

Reaction score
This team does not play every down with three LB. They do not use the Sam every down. Jaylon was supposed to play MLB eventually to replace Hitchens. I'm moving on and want LVE to succeed And Jaylon.

I also think we could use the SLB more if Smith comes on strong. The reason for that is that the SLB in Marinelli's defense usually is taken off the field in clear passing situations because he wants more DBs on the field. If Smith is strong in coverage and also brings the Seattle element of being an extra pass rusher, then it's less likely we'll take him off the field and replace him with an inferior safety.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol. Admission of guilt! Drama Queen. If Smith is a great SAM and not Mike, it was a good pick. It's not like they used a top ten pick on him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Has nothing to do with guilt over the JS pick. Has to do with what player is the highest on the big board that makes the team better....PERIOD...
Plus we need LB's...JS could have been all pro, and it does not matter, we need LB's.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It boggles that fans can’t recognize we had a legitimate hole at LB. even before doing the math on how we were going to replace all of Hitchens’ snaps or the probability of Sean Lee missing time.

Verdict

Reaction score

That's not really true. You want to appply a strict standard to jaylon. People want to cut Taco slack and he was a higher pick as a project. Jaylon and Taco are just projects for different reasons.

coult44

Reaction score

I disagree, and you know how I feel about moves This FO makes . The main reason is because we have zero LB depth. I don't mean we have a little depth, or we have enough to squeeze by, we have ZERO. There will be times and games that Lee misses. We can assume that "the foot" will still be learning how to function, and that if they go out the same week, that leaves us with who, Wilson , hah, and then it's down to a backup safety Frazier trying to switch spots. Even if Jaylon stays healthy and learns how to play, we're shorthanded bad. I don't think they ever thought that Smith would be 100% before now. I think their intention with him was this year all along. From everything I've read and the videos I've watched last two days, LVE has the chance to come in and start right away and be better than Jaylon right now. If he can get under the wings of Lee, and go to work from day 1, he'll be a great first round pick . He's a film junkie and a workaholic who feels an immediate need.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I think it's certainly an admission that MLB is not Jaylon's best fit, but not that drafting him was a mistake. If Kris Richards uses Smith like Seattle has used its SLB then he could end up being a great pick to pair with Lee and LVE on downs where we use three linebackers. Then his ability to play nickel along with LVE's might help extend Lee's career because the team will actually be able to afford to take the injury-prone 31-year-old off the field more.

So while Jaylon didn't turn out to be the MLB the team wanted, drafting LVE gives Dallas more options with its LB corps than having Wilson as the third LB.

Thank you for actually reading my original post and responding to the entire message instead of cherry picking one sentence or part of a sentence and creating a counterpoint. My overall point was that you don't use a second rounder on a player that won't get to take a major role till maybe the 3rd season. Then on top of that you are now going off script and hoping all turns out roses.

Lots of other posters keep missing the point that I agree they needed a linebacker and overall feel good about picking LVE. This team required it. But past decisions created this hole that currently needs to be filled in my opinion. I mean-if Jaylon looked like he was about to launch a superstar career and annihilate at MLB, they might wait on this pick and fill another need. In my general opinion they do not want to bet on Jaylon or Lee too much at this time.

Blitzen

Reaction score
That's not really true. You want to appply a strict standard to jaylon. People want to cut Taco slack and he was a higher pick as a project. Jaylon and Taco are just projects for different reasons.

I don't believe Taco is a project. I think he is the strong side defensive end to replace Lawrence next year unless the Cowboys pay a huge contract. Either way, he is a solid prospect that can contribute meaningful snaps since we rotate the defensive line so much. Drafting a player that might never play at or close to his previous level with a high second rounder is a poor and cavalier use of assets. If you want him, you wait. And if someone else gambles before the 4th round and the player eventually hits the lottery then great for them. Let the impulsive teams squander chances with top of the draft picks. If you are going to take a chance on an injury concern player in the first three rounds they should have a very high chance of playing the entire season of their rookie year.

And my thought was that they were hoping for more verification from Jaylon by this point in time. They are not banking on him at all, and are ready to move on if he does not work out. Which to me is an admission of guilt.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Thank you for actually reading my original post and responding to the entire message instead of cherry picking one sentence or part of a sentence and creating a counterpoint. My overall point was that you don't use a second rounder on a player that won't get to take a major role till maybe the 3rd season. Then on top of that you are now going off script and hoping all turns out roses.

Lots of other posters keep missing the point that I agree they needed a linebacker and overall feel good about picking LVE. This team required it. But past decisions created this hole that currently needs to be filled in my opinion. I mean-if Jaylon looked like he was about to launch a superstar career and annihilate at MLB, they might wait on this pick and fill another need. In my general opinion they do not want to bet on Jaylon or Lee too much at this time.

Well, I think it's impossible to know exactly how Jaylon is going to turn out at this point. If he had seized the MLB role last year while recovering then obviously linebacker wouldn't have been as much of a priority.

However, that doesn't make the pick a mistake, it just takes it in a different direction. Dallas chose Smith because its team doctor told the Cowboys that he would make a full recovery and they understood that they would be adding a major talent in the second round if he did. That they didn't get to see enough from him to make a determination about MLB might have been an unexpected twist, but not one that's going to upset the team much if their gamble on him as a second-rounder pays off in him becoming a big-time player.

So yes, they are off script, but that won't be very important if Jaylon achieves the greatness expected from him, even it it's at SLB (for now) instead of MLB.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't believe Taco is a project. I think he is the strong side defensive end to replace Lawrence next year unless the Cowboys pay a huge contract. Either way, he is a solid prospect that can contribute meaningful snaps since we rotate the defensive line so much. Drafting a player that might never play at or close to his previous level with a high second rounder is a poor and cavalier use of assets. If you want him, you wait. And if someone else gambles before the 4th round and the player eventually hits the lottery then great for them. Let the impulsive teams squander chances with top of the draft picks. If you are going to take a chance on an injury concern player in the first three rounds they should have a very high chance of playing the entire season of their rookie year.

And my thought was that they were hoping for more verification from Jaylon by this point in time. They are not banking on him at all, and are ready to move on if he does not work out. Which to me is an admission of guilt.

Taco is a project. If he wasn't a project he would have not completely sucked the first half of the year and ended up with a couple of sacks on the year. So he is a project unless you are saying he isn't a project because he can never be a player. I might be willing to agree with you there.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Taco is a project. If he wasn't a project he would have not completely sucked the first half of the year and ended up with a couple of sacks on the year. So he is a project unless you are saying he isn't a project because he can never be a player. I might be willing to agree with you there.

I don't think they ever viewed him as a guy that will get more than say 8 sacks in a season when they drafted him. Myles Garrett got a whopping 7 sacks last season and is one of the best 4-3 DE prospects I have ever seen. Taco did not "suck" last season. The bulk of DE prospects must "develop" or are "projects." They hopefully hold the line of scrimmage and do a good job putting pressure on when asked on passing downs. The Cowboys cornered themselves into that pick when the rest of the teams were snatching up all the true pass rush DE prospects. I don't think Taco is better or will be better than Lawrence-just a suitable replacement eventually. That's what happens when you have to draft at the end of a round and desperately want to fill a need.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
I don't think they ever viewed him as a guy that will get more than say 8 sacks in a season when they drafted him. Myles Garrett got a whopping 7 sacks last season and is one of the best 4-3 DE prospects I have ever seen. Taco did not "suck" last season. The bulk of DE prospects must "develop" or are "projects." They hopefully hold the line of scrimmage and do a good job putting pressure on when asked on passing downs. The Cowboys cornered themselves into that pick when the rest of the teams were snatching up all the true pass rush DE prospects. I don't think Taco is better or will be better than Lawrence-just a suitable replacement eventually. That's what happens when you have to draft at the end of a round and desperately want to fill a need.

The Cowboys made a smart pick . I know I was hoping they would blow it on a WR . Last year when Lee went down for a few games .. it cost you those games because of no depth. The guy is a beast...