Cowboys and CD in dispute over years on contract

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For a receiver I might want to give him just 4 years and see what happens after that. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Long term deals make more sense for linemen, and QBs. 3 years is not long enough for a team.
I mean it would be 4 years though this year and another 3?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hold firm, minimum 4 year deal... MINIMUM. No deal?? Ok, CeeDee, franchise tag here you come. You no like? Sit out this season and lose 17 million. Ball is in your court.
Why would you treat arguably your best player like this? You were suppose to treat your bum players like this.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I would agree. Jefferson signed for 4 years, St Brown signed a 4 year extension. I'd hold out for at least 4 years if I'm the Cowboys too. You can't just reup the same players every couple seasons, teams have to have a window of getting value in these deals as well.
Sure you can. It's what the Eagles are doing. AJ Brown, for instance, already got an extension with Philly.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You can't just reup the same players every couple seasons, teams have to have a window of getting value in these deals as well.
exactly. there is no managing the cap and long term planning if the team can't lock in deals for a period of time.

conner01

Reaction score
So like Dak, he wants a shorter deal, and the Cowboys will end up caving in, done deal!!
I get why players want shirt deals. A max contract today with be out of top 10 in 3-4 years. But it really makes it hard without building in voidable years to stick some of the money. And when you do that it makes a 3rd deal almost impossible

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
What? If they settle on 4 years how will an extension come after 2026? This is year 2024.
B/c players sign extensions early. Gives the players another year or two, more cash, and lets the team work the cap.

Depends how they structure 2024 though.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I get why players want shirt deals. A max contract today with be out of top 10 in 3-4 years. But it really makes it hard without building in voidable years to stick some of the money. And when you do that it makes a 3rd deal almost impossibleI
I don't recall anyone ever explaining why the deal can't be indexed so that the player has some upside while still be palatable to the organization? Let's say he signed a deal for 6 years but it protected him say thru year 4 that his % of the cap would stay the same or he would be in the top X of pay in each of those years. Player would have some inflationary protection but firmly under contract and team would have a budget with some firmness.

sbark

Reaction score
Cd is under contract

So a 3 yr deal - existing contract yr
Essentially a 2 yr deal

Give him a deadline and a 5 yr offer (4 actually)
IF not.....let him sit....

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Lamb is probably asking for 3 years, so he can do like Dak and get right back to the table after WRs contracts have kept going up.
He better get his money now, because the WR stock is going to drop just like RB did.

sbark

Reaction score
I don't recall anyone ever explaining why the deal can't be indexed so that the player has some upside while still be palatable to the organization? Let's say he signed a deal for 6 years but it protected him say thru year 4 that his % of the cap would stay the same or he would be in the top X of pay in each of those years. Player would have some inflationary protection but firmly under contract and team would have a budget with some firmness.
Makes sense...
IF also some performance levels to be met included

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Why would you treat arguably your best player like this? You were suppose to treat your bum players like this.
Treat them like what? Follow the rules set forth and agreed to by th eowners and the union? Contracts ensure fair treatment... thats fair treatment.

Thomas82

Reaction score
This means Lamb wants 3 years, and cowboy shave no reason to do that.
The Cowboys probably want 5. I say meet in the middle at 4 and call it a day. CeeDee will still be in his prime when the contract is up and will have another chance to get paid.