Cowboys and CD in dispute over years on contract

plymkr

Reaction score
do you know for a fact he wants 4, or does he want 3?
If he wants 3 years then trade him. I’m so fed up with contract drama. Don’t get me wrong, I hate Jerry and Stephen and I feel they suck as GMs. But 4 years 33 APY is fair market value. At some point the player has to give a little too.

Jerry set a bad precedent by giving into Dak in the last contract. Now everyone is going to want a market setting or near market setting short term contract. You can’t build a team that way. If this keeps going the way it is Micah is going to demand a 2 year 80 million dollar deal. It’s getting ridiculous.

I would offer him a 4 year 33-33.5 APY and if he turns it down then let him play this contract out and FT him 2 years then let him go. Lay down the hammer.

One other side note. I don’t feel our players have done enough in this league to be this demanding. This core group of guys won 1 WC game. Wow. Just 1 WC game. They got embarrassed at home by an inferior team, they lost to most of the playoff teams they faced. And the response to this is they want to be the highest paid players. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked the players on the team as much as I do this group. Bunch of entitled, weak minded cry babies that are more concerned about winning the Salary Bowl than the Super Bowl.

Adreme

Reaction score
Can't they just make it a 6 year deal, and the 2 extra years be void years, or do they actually have control over his contract in those 2 extra years even though we know they're void years???
Having a 6th year be a void year is pointless as you can only spread out a bonus over the next 5 years.

plymkr

Reaction score
cowboys want 5-6 years

This is why lamb should be traded , the money isnt enough, the length isnt short enough lol and I think
he wants his own private locker room lol, with huge locker for him, and mirrored walls, private shower, and carpeted.
And an office at The Star that is bigger than Jerry’s and has all the Lombardi trophies in it.

John813

Reaction score
Players haven’t been accepting backloading for years because that money never comes.

They want more guarantees and more cracks at free agency. Dallas will either adapt or continue to fall behind.

In terms of cap hits.
Players still get the guarantees up front in terms of signing bonus and guarantees. But most long term contracts have the bulk of the salary higher at the end.
Jefferson Base Salaries per OTC are:
1.1m
1.17m
24.99m
29.24m
33.2m

You can't restructure a franchise tag.

John813

Reaction score
Having a 6th year be a void year is pointless as you can only spread out a bonus over the next 5 years.

It comes in handy when restructuring in year two to max out the prorated bonus over 5 years.

Adreme

Reaction score
It comes in handy when restructuring in year two to max out the prorated bonus over 5 years.
You can always add void years after. There is no reason to add them before as you can’t put bonus cap hit there until the restructure. No player will ever object to void years after all.

Sydla

Reaction score
Can't they just make it a 6 year deal, and the 2 extra years be void years, or do they actually have control over his contract in those 2 extra years even though we know they're void years???
They have no control over him after 4 years.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who is this guy and who is his source? You guys will believe anything on the internet.
Meirov is a well respected NFL reporter. And nothing he said seems outrageous. We know the Cowboys prefer longer term deals (Jerry has said this publicly in the past) and Lamb’s agent is notorious for wanting shorter term deals so his players can renegotiate sooner.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
And an office at The Star that is bigger than Jerry’s and has all the Lombardi trophies in it.
We don’t know what the hold up is, so far it’s the cowboys not offering comparable contract to Jefferson. We don’t know if Cowboys want 4, 5, 6 or that CeeDee wants 3 it’s all speculation. We get mad at the players but JJ had a chance to offer CeeDee extension early when he knew he had his number 1. People say he was going to wait either way, well if JJ did it as soon as cooper left we would already be into new contract and not talking right now. If CeeDee wants three then I agree get to stepping and I’m a huge supporter of his. Greed isn’t who he is but if it’s who he’s become then let him go and get some draft picks. Time to change the culture of expectations without any accomplishments.

Flamma

Reaction score
Players haven’t been accepting backloading for years because that money never comes.

They want more guarantees and more cracks at free agency. Dallas will either adapt or continue to fall behind.
More cracks at FA? If Lamb wants a 4 year deal, that's not a short contract. Since he has a year left, that's 4 full years he has to wait to get another crack at FA. It's going to be very difficult to get market value at age 29. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

John813

Reaction score
You can always add void years after. There is no reason to add them before as you can’t put bonus cap hit there until the restructure. No player will ever object to void years after all.

I thought so too, but reading up on some tweets this offseason in regards to Martin/Dak I'm not 100% sure anymore.
When Dak was signed to his 2nd contract they added two void years off the bat.

https://sumersports.com/the-zone/void-years-explained/

The drawbacks to void years for teams are intuitive. First, a player must agree to add void years to an existing deal. Unlike restructures, where there is normally language in a contract that allows a team to convert a roster bonus to a signing bonus regardless of a player’s wishes, a player must agree to the new deal, which could curb some of the team-friendly strategies clubs want to deploy when creating such deals.

https://overthecap.com/restructure
A maximum restructure increases the amount of cap space via conversion into prorated signing bonuses by either extending the contract or by adding void years to a contract, years that do not extend the contract but are only used as placeholders for the proration. Maximum restructures are typically considered a renegotiation of the contract that requires the player's consent to execute.

If the player is playing still at a high level, and his positions AAV has risen due to new contracts, who is to say they will help out the team without getting some type of $$ favor?

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Different scenario though. AJ Brown already had multiple years left on his deal as he was on a 4 year deal already. Extending Lamb to a 2-3 year deal setting him up for free agency again after 2026 is just dumb and guarantees that you're forever paying him top of the market. AJ Brown is now very affordable for the next few years.
Uh, I said give him a 4 year deal and then extend him.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Jerry always says he likes his back against the wall to propel both sides into making an agreement. So I expect this to get done with CD either playing limited in game one or possibly get injured due to inactivity during the off-season much like what happened to Dez.