Twitter: Cowboys and Dak agent Todd France had conversations on Wed. re: Contract

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But wouldn’t he still be up a considerable amount of money had he signed before last season. Signing bonus and first year of paychecks. It would be considered a extension. Or could they just do it as a new contract.

He would have much more money in his pocket and he would likely have the potential to make even more money of the course of his career if he had signed earlier. Imagine if he had signed in his third year, a deal for 5 years that paid him 27 annually. He would likely be back at the table at precisely the right time to benefit from any increases with the new CBA and a Mahomes record deal. I personally believe his agent is stupid for doing it this way but whatever.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
He would have much more money in his pocket and he would likely have the potential to make even more money of the course of his career if he had signed earlier. Imagine if he had signed in his third year, a deal for 5 years that paid him 27 annually. He would likely be back at the table at precisely the right time to benefit from any increases with the new CBA and a Mahomes record deal. I personally believe his agent is stupid for doing it this way but whatever.

He still would be back at the table at the same time. He still would have counted $2 million against the cap for 2019. In your example, his five year deal still would have started in 2020. The only difference is he would have gotten his signing bonus earlier.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking but on a 4 year deal so he could either go in early or on time and look like he honored his deal. I would be so rich right now. These agents are telling players to hold off on surgeries and hold out 2 years early on a rookie deal. And JJ is letting them do this. I would be with another DE and Elliot would either be sitting at home or playing under his rookie deal. The chargers RB tried that crap and they handled it right.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He still would be back at the table at the same time. He still would have counted $2 million against the cap for 2019. In your example, his five year deal still would have started in 2020. The only difference is he would have gotten his signing bonus earlier.

No, this is wrong entirely. It would not have been 2020, it would have been more like 2018 and his next deal would probably have been negotiated in 2023. The singing bonus amount can be anything the team deems so he could have theoretically gotten all of his money up front and had the signing bonus spread out over years. I mean, there are a lot of ways that all could have been done and he could have gotten more money into his pocket.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking but on a 4 year deal so he could either go in early or on time and look like he honored his deal. I would be so rich right now. These agents are telling players to hold off on surgeries and hold out 2 years early on a rookie deal. And JJ is letting them do this. I would be with another DE and Elliot would either be sitting at home or playing under his rookie deal. The chargers RB tried that crap and they handled it right.

That's pretty much what Philly did with Wentz.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
That's pretty much what Philly did with Wentz.
No, this is wrong entirely. It would not have been 2020, it would have been more like 2018 and his next deal would probably have been negotiated in 2023. The singing bonus amount can be anything the team deems so he could have theoretically gotten all of his money up front and had the signing bonus spread out over years. I mean, there are a lot of ways that all could have been done and he could have gotten more money into his pocket.

I said he would have gotten the signing bonus earlier but that is the only advantage. Wentz had a four year extension added onto the two years he had on his deal. He got the signing bonus now but with the two years on his deal plus the four year extension he is locked up for six years. If Dak signs a four year extension now it will start in 2020. If he signed a four year extension in 2018, it still would have started in 2020.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I said he would have gotten the signing bonus earlier but that is the only advantage. Wentz had a four year extension added onto the two years he had on his deal. He got the signing bonus now but with the two years on his deal plus the four year extension he is locked up for six years.

But the fact remains that he did not have to play for 2 mil, he could have gotten much more money in his hands had agreed to extend. I mean, it's not as if the team has not been trying to redo his deal for two years now. The idea that he is somehow going to get the same amount of money later is simply inaccurate. The earlier you get into a contract, the more money you make because the more time you have to see your next deal. Waiting two years and possibly three if a deal is not completed this year, is not to Dak's advantage. I would add that QBs don't see the last year of any contact unless they are at the end of their actual career, any longer. What this means is that a 5 year deal with Dak would actually be a 4 year deal with a renegotiation.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
But the fact remains that he did not have to play for 2 mil, he could have gotten much more money in his hands had agreed to extend. I mean, it's not as if the team has not been trying to redo his deal for two years now. The idea that he is somehow going to get the same amount of money later is simply inaccurate. The earlier you get into a contract, the more money you make because the more time you have to see your next deal. Waiting two years and possibly three if a deal is not completed this year, is not to Dak's advantage. I would add that QBs don't see the last year of any contact unless they are at the end of their actual career, any longer. What this means is that a 5 year deal with Dak would actually be a 4 year deal with a renegotiation.

I was speaking from the past till now because he still would have been on his rookie contract till 2020. That changes once he gets on the franchise tag because he is getting paid year to year. That being said with the new cba coming Dak's most lucrative play is probably two franchise tags and then a long term deal where he could be making $40 million a year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It might be that more entertainment agents are becoming sports agents and they are using any tactic available to them, while it might not be the best thing for both parties.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I was speaking from the past till now because he still would have been on his rookie contract till 2020. That changes once he gets on the franchise tag because he is getting paid year to year. That being said with the new cba coming Dak's most lucrative play is probably two franchise tags and then a long term deal where he could be making $40 million a year.

I'm not. I'm talking about his earning potential over the course of his entire career and his ability to actually have more money in his pocket sooner. His agent is stupid IMO. Had he extended in 2018, he's potentially seeing a record setting deal in the 50 mil annual area in 2020, if he wins a championship. If he doesn't, he's still probably in the 40 to 50 area.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I'm not. I'm talking about his earning potential over the course of his entire career and his ability to actually have more money in his pocket sooner. His agent is stupid IMO. Had he extended in 2018, he's potentially seeing a record setting deal in the 50 mil annual area in 2020, if he wins a championship. If he doesn't, he's still probably in the 40 to 50 area.

How would he get a 50 million dollar deal in 2020, if (according to you) he should have signed a five year deal starting in 2018? He would still be locked down for three years.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Lol I just realized we had this same discussion before. I have tried to explain it long enough at this point.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Isn't his salary restricted by the 30% rule meaning it can not increase more than 30% from one year to the next no matter if its a new contract or not? And don't they get around that with a huge signing bonus up front, not spread it out over the duration of the contract?

glimmerman

Reaction score
It might be that more entertainment agents are becoming sports agents and they are using any tactic available to them, while it might not be the best thing for both parties.
It’s a joke. But as long as the owners allow it.

Flamma

Reaction score

I'm not so sure about this. If you look at Zeke's contract it does look like they started it after his 5th year option. Which takes place next year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is why the Cowboys haven't sniffed the Superbowl in 25 years and the Patriots now have 6 rings in 9 appearances. It's all about the big payday in Dallas.

Even though the marketing opportunities with the Cowboys provide more value to players than with any other team.

Flamma

Reaction score

Just an aside. Slightly off topic. Zeke's contract really isn't that bad if he's the player we expect. Dallas can part ways after 2021 and definitely after 2022. It's a bad deal for Jerry's wallet, not the Cowboys. And I don't care about Jerry's wallet.