Twitter: Cowboys and Dak agent Todd France had conversations on Wed. re: Contract

ultron

Reaction score
This is why the Cowboys haven't sniffed the Superbowl in 25 years and the Patriots now have 6 rings in 9 appearances. It's all about the big payday in Dallas.
The Patriots are an anomaly, I'm not sure why they're always used as everyone's example of how to do things - they had the greatest QB of all time and arguably the greatest head coach of all time. Not only that, the QB took a lot less money than he was worth nearly his entire career, because his wife is worth a gazillion dollars. I would say the coaching in NE is the real reason they've been so successful and that's the absolute hardest thing in the league to duplicate.

Qcard

Reaction score
IMHO, the honest offer has been there all along. The hangup has very likely been the structure and guaranteed money.
This is a fact that most fans seem to miss. They are just waiting on the environment aka CBA to be agreed upon..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The fact that they said they wanted a long term deal means they haven't changed much.

Dallas is going to get wrecked on this deal. They will cave to whatever Dak wants.

Every chance they get to give up leverage they do it.

If it's a longterm deal then 38-40 million wouldn't surprise me.
Again, this is because Dak would be stupid to sign for anything less than above market before the CBA.

The leverage thing applies to literally every competitive team with a good quarterback. It won't be different in Houston, KC, or Baltimore just as it already happened in Philly, LA, Atlanta and Green Bay.

basel90

Reaction score
That's your own desire for Dak to not get signed for the reasons you assign to Stephen. Leave the father-son dynamic out of this it. It is not as out of phase as you think. You are just plain and simply a Dak hater that has a disjoined opinion of who Dak really is. Dak and Zeke are high-quality performers and so they are costly to retain. But they are the heart and soul of the team. It's your own failure to not be able to see that. But I'm sure you will lose your hatred for them by the time our SB victory party comes around. I view that as a pity because you shouldn't be invited.
You are an eternal optimist it seems . Don’t get carried away with the Dak and zeke love fest . Come down to planet earth . Just watch Dak at crucial games and watch zeke’s decline last year . I would love to be wrong but the Dak and zeke performances in crucial games were so painful .

basel90

Reaction score
Dak is going to be franchised!! It's the only thing to do with a greedy agent and player who wants way more than he is worth. It will cost Dallas 27 mil this year and 32 the following year. If Dak chooses to sit out Dallas owns his rights and he will lose two years of not playing football and teams will frown upon what he is doing. Dallas is holding all the cards!!!

agree . In addition, by looking at some free agent lists at QB and at the NFL combine , I see plenty of good QBs who can do better than Dak . Dak is simply not accurate .

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You are an eternal optimist it seems . Don’t get carried away with the Dak and zeke love fest . Come down to planet earth . Just watch Dak at crucial games and watch zeke’s decline last year . I would love to be wrong but the Dak and zeke performances in crucial games were so painful .
Perhaps you have forgotten what the term "fan" came from. I am a Dallas Cowboys fanatic. Irrational enthusiasm comes with the territory. I do not apologize for this condition. It consumes me, 24/7, year-round. It's been that way for 48 years. It's what makes this crazy world we live in make sense to me. Likewise, I am sold on players like Dak and Zeke being our next best chance to get us to a Super Bowl. You and I just have a difference of opinion on that. It's okay to disagree. It's what makes all these discussions we get into so interesting.

blindzebra

Reaction score
agree . In addition, by looking at some free agent lists at QB and at the NFL combine , I see plenty of good QBs who can do better than Dak . Dak is simply not accurate .
This again? He is more accurate than Wentz. Don't say dink and dunk either, stats don't lie. Wentz rarely throws the ball down field. The fact that his completion percentage is below 64 is a joke considering how many throws he makes behind the LOS to 5 yards down field.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that they said they wanted a long term deal means they haven't changed much.

Dallas is going to get wrecked on this deal. They will cave to whatever Dak wants.

Every chance they get to give up leverage they do it.

If it's a longterm deal then 38-40 million wouldn't surprise me.

Yep and Jerry has only himself to blame. If Jerry ran his businesses the way he runs this football team, he'd have no money. Would he walk into a land deal and announce to the seller than he must have the land and can't see his business without it?

Where is the negotiating savvy?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
The Patriots are an anomaly, I'm not sure why they're always used as everyone's example of how to do things - they had the greatest QB of all time and arguably the greatest head coach of all time. Not only that, the QB took a lot less money than he was worth nearly his entire career, because his wife is worth a gazillion dollars. I would say the coaching in NE is the real reason they've been so successful and that's the absolute hardest thing in the league to duplicate.

Coaching is part of it but it's also being able to keep key personnel. Huge contracts don't allow for that. Also, Marino was arguably one of the best but never won the big one. So just because you have a great QB, it doesn't guarantee winning Superbowls.

basel90

Reaction score
This again? He is more accurate than Wentz. Don't say dink and dunk either, stats don't lie. Wentz rarely throws the ball down field. The fact that his completion percentage is below 64 is a joke considering how many throws he makes behind the LOS to 5 yards down field.
Am not saying wentz is a great player . But Dak had so many chances with better OL, RB, and WRs.

basel90

Reaction score
Perhaps you have forgotten what the term "fan" came from. I am a Dallas Cowboys fanatic. Irrational enthusiasm comes with the territory. I do not apologize for this condition. It consumes me, 24/7, year-round. It's been that way for 48 years. It's what makes this crazy world we live in make sense to me. Likewise, I am sold on players like Dak and Zeke being our next best chance to get us to a Super Bowl. You and I just have a difference of opinion on that. It's okay to disagree. It's what makes all these discussions we get into so interesting.
I agree . I respect that . I hope what you say materializes . Just remember this team overpaid for so many underachievers and this team has not been to the SB for 25 years with that mentality .

Hadenough

Reaction score
I totally respect that! I used to be like that but so many seasons of disappointment has worn the shine off. Its kind of like living in a dysfunctional family, you dont realize how screwed up the Cowboys are until you step back and look at them. The good news is I can manage 4-5 fantasy football teams and enjoy that while watching all the NFL games and seeing players around the league I would never other wise look at. That has become another outlet instead of living and dying every weekend with this crazy owner and over rated team.

ultron

Reaction score
Coaching is part of it but it's also being able to keep key personnel. Huge contracts don't allow for that. Also, Marino was arguably one of the best but never won the big one. So just because you have a great QB, it doesn't guarantee winning Superbowls.
I agree, that's why I really think Belicheck is by far the best coach ever. Dan Marino and Don Shula are great examples of why the Patriots are such an anomaly - Marino is largely considered to be an all time great and so is Shula. Miami is a far nicer place to live, has no state income tax, and for a big chunk of Marino's career - there was no salary cap (if I remember correctly), yet they never won a Super Bowl. I think it's a testament to how good Brady & Belicheck really are.

starcity214

Reaction score

Wentz seemed pretty accurate to me the day he beat us for the Division title..

But you're right, Wentz probably has Julio Jones and Hopkins as his WRs and they catch everything he throws at them wich makes Wentz look good.. lol

Wentz also probably has a stud RB that opposing defenses have to respect and that's what gives Wentz such easy one read throws down the field.. lol

I mean, why can't fans accept other players being better? I have no problem saying Wentz is the better QB. Just as I have no problem saying Julio Jones is better than Amari and that Barkley is better than Zeke.

blindzebra

Reaction score

But you're right, Wentz probably has Julio Jones and Hopkins as his WRs and they catch everything he throws at them wich makes Wentz look good.. lol

Wentz also probably has a stud RB that opposing defenses have to respect and that's what gives Wentz such easy one read throws down the field.. lol

I mean, why can't fans accept other players being better? I have no problem saying Wentz is the better QB. Just as I have no problem saying Julio Jones is better than Amari and that Barkley is better than Zeke.
Same BS argument. Dak plays well and it is the surrounding talent. Wentz has a premiere OL, an effective running game, backs who make plays in the passing game, WRs who win 50/50 throws, and the best TE duo in the NFL. He has also had a defense that gets turnovers, scores themselves, and a top tier special teams unit to help.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I have no problem saying other players are better. Wentz isn’t definitively better than Dak though. The truth is they are right around the same level overall.