News: Cowboys Appear to Be Moving on From Dez Bryant

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way this makes sense is if the Cowboys trade Dez straight up to Seattle for Earl Thomas. The Cowboys create $4.5M in CAP space by trading Dez, but incur a $8.5M CAP hit for Thomas. They'd need another $4M in CAP space to do the deal - unless they work out a new contract for Thomas to reduce his CAP hit between day 1 and day 2 of the draft - presuming they use their 1st round pick for Calvin Ridley. They could also trade BOTH Dez and Beasley to the Seahawks, creating $8M in CAP space, and then Thomas' $8.5M CAP hit would be easily absorbed.

Thomas wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL - a place currently held by Eric Berry, drafted in the same year as Thomas, and making an average of $13M per season. The Cowboys would need to offer Thomas a 6 year deal for $80M, with a $20M signing bonus, and $40M guaranteed.

New Earl Thomas contract
Age 28 - 2018 - $0.9M salary, $100K workout bonus, $20M signing bonus - $5M CAP hit ($40M Dead Money)
Age 29 - 2019 - $8.9M salary, $100K workout bonus, $13M CAP hit ($35M Dead Money)
Age 30 - 2020 - $10M salary, $14M CAP hit ($22M Dead Money)
Age 31 - 2021 - $13M salary, $17M CAP hit ($8M Dead Money) - save $9M on CAP by cutting him, or $13M with June 1st cut
Age 32 - 2022 - $13M salary, $17M CAP hit ($4M Dead money) - save $13M on CAP by cutting him
Age 22 - 2023 - $14M salary, $14M CAP hit ($0 Dead Money) - save $14M on CAP by cutting him

If you cut Earl Thomas in 2021, this essentially becomes a 3 year, $40M deal that is fully guaranteed. That gives the Cowboys an instant upgrade on defense, and a 3-year window to win a Super Bowl with Thomas.

Another big plus to this trade is that the Cowboys would shift significant resources to the defense, and the WR corps would get much younger - with a new #1 Wide Receiver that is younger than Dez. Switzer could step into Beasley's role, and Ridley steps into the Dez Role. Keep Williams for another season to compete with Hurns, and then decide to keep either him or Hurns - whichever one plays better. (And just for the record, I am not convinced that Hurns is an upgrade on Williams, regardless of the complaints about Williams.) Also, the 2019 Salary of $12.5M for Dez Bryant, plus the $8.9M cap hit for Romo drops off, freeing up $21.4M in 2019 to sign Elliott and Prescott to contract extensions.

Why would Seattle want to trade Earl Thomas for Dez?

I thought they were considering trading ET because they are dumping contracts.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
JJT has a lot of inside info in that building. Looking more and more like he's gone. Would be nice to just get a 6th for him. I would still love to try and trade Beas to NE.
Why do you want to help NE? They don’t need any.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Why would Seattle want to trade Earl Thomas for Dez?

I thought they were considering trading ET because they are dumping contracts.

They are dumping defensive contracts. They need more offense. Dez is under contract for two more years, so they don't have to try to resign him next year, like Thomas. Also, Thomas is threatening to hold out this season if his contract is not renegotiated. It gets rid of a headache, and adds a weapon for Wilson. If some here are correct, and the "decline" in Dez is due to bad QB play, then maybe the Seahawks get a top WR they've been missing. If not, they lose the Earl Thomas headache, and can cut Bryant in a year with no consequences.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Really I think Dallas should pull a Jacksonville move and revamp the whole wr position. Scrap Dez, twill, butler and go with:

Hurns
Thompson
Rookie draft pick
Beasley
Switzer

I am tired of Dez and twill no hands catching ***. And I still don' see how twill lasted this long here.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Really I think Dallas should pull a Jacksonville move and revamp the whole wr position. Scrap Dez, twill, butler and go with:

Hurns
Thompson
Rookie draft pick
Beasley
Switzer

I am tired of Dez and twill no hands catching ***. And I still don' see how twill lasted this long here.
I think Romo got Twill the additional contract. Of course you can say that about Dez and Beasley as well but they were up to par with the fan base at that point in time.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I say Dez will be here. I also say he has a much better season than the last 3.

Many will still not like him. He is the franchise all time leader in td’s. Which is pretty good.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
They are dumping defensive contracts. They need more offense. Dez is under contract for two more years, so they don't have to try to resign him next year, like Thomas. Also, Thomas is threatening to hold out this season if his contract is not renegotiated. It gets rid of a headache, and adds a weapon for Wilson. If some here are correct, and the "decline" in Dez is due to bad

Seattle would probably want a draft pick such as a 3rd and possibly a future pick or a late round 2018 pick as well. We would possibly get mid round pick and Thomas in that trade. That would most likely mean we would be drafting WR/LB with the first two picks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are dumping defensive contracts. They need more offense. Dez is under contract for two more years, so they don't have to try to resign him next year, like Thomas. Also, Thomas is threatening to hold out this season if his contract is not renegotiated. It gets rid of a headache, and adds a weapon for Wilson. If some here are correct, and the "decline" in Dez is due to bad QB play, then maybe the Seahawks get a top WR they've been missing. If not, they lose the Earl Thomas headache, and can cut Bryant in a year with no consequences.

Good work on the numbers and it's good that you'be considered several details.

I personally don't think the Seahawks would be interested but that's just my opinion.

It's difficult to understand what they are doing because the 3 year cap space outlook for the Seahawks is better than many other teams.

They are not remotely on the verge of future cap hell like the Eagles.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Dez is still by far the most dangerous WR on the roster. I think the Cowboys are keepig Dez for another year and churning 2-3 guys below Dez off the the roster.
In reality that seems to be what is happening but the internet can make anything a possibility. I would see the best defense on letting Bryant go would be that we drafted a RB with a 4th pick overall which allows us to not pay top money for a WR due to being a run first team which merits signings such as Hurns and Thompson and drafting switzer. Linehan is a pass happy coach so it’s kinda confusing with a basic offensive scheme.

The article posted says nothing about this team moving away from Bryant.
Yeah I think Dez and Cowboy fans are a heated hot topic for journalist to run that narrative on the recent signings. I didn’t see anything regarding Dez being cut or traded.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
mr Blind---- I hope we dont move on from Dez....hope he takes a little pay cut and "balls" this year with Hurns and Bease and Rico...and whoever we draft....this along with our new receiver coach who is suppose to be a "guru" in teaching receivers...along with a 3rd year Dak who will improve his anticipation and mechanics ...with some luck in health department and a good camp i see a lot more potential for this team both offensvely and defensively.....uh oh GORICO getting fired up....the platinum guarantees willl be flowing and winnin'...this last year for plats was a down year...

Reactions: CWR

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wouldn't bother me one bit actually. He can be a huge distraction on the sideline and quite frankly I think the front office has had enough of his tantrums. He could even be considered a progress stopper at this junction of his career.

His best days were with Romo under center and lower leg injuries have robbed him of any explosiveness he once had.

Time to move on...
mr pitt33...( i loved Dorsette too )..anyway yeah i was having same sentiment until just recently...i thought what about one more year with Dez and hurns and bease and Rico and our new draft pick along with the new receiver coach who is suppose to be a "guru" in teaching receivers...plus Dez is training in offseason with a route tree guru....this along with Dak improving his 3rd year and O Line being more healthy and better replacements...and Zeke plowing defenses for 16 games...and our own Defense could actually turn out to be elite...if somehow in all of this we build strong chemistry...cowboys could be crazy good.....any of this make any sense....what do you think?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think we will know more about the Cowboys future plans for Dez after the draft. Hurns threatens TW more than Dez. We still don't have a legit #1 WR, if not Dez.
mr Atlanta---ya...one more year with Dez and Hurns and Bease and Rico and Switzer and of course Witten ( yes he is a statue but he boxes out so well for the catch )...a new and improved 3rd year Dak along with a the tasmanian devil punishing runner in Zeke for 16 games and a healthier O Line and better replacements...along with our D line is going to be elite and if we can land a good FS our backffiled can be elite...plus i think we will get another playmaking linebacker in draft ( maybe we trade up to get Roquan ) oh man ..consider all these possibilities and then if some how we build a strong team chemistry on the field?....wow..who knows?....we could in fact be scary in 2018?...i know this is mostly potential but what if it comes together?...the downside is Garrett will continue as coach...but life is just hard sometimes

Jumbo075

Reaction score
For the record: I am a big Dez Bryant fan, and I hope he spends the next decade with the Cowboys, proving all the naysayers wrong.

cern

Reaction score
I think the cowboys are baiting and trolling for dez. But his contract and recent performance are making it difficult. Probably going to be designated a June 1 cut. We won't get a player or draft pick but get 12.5 million cap savings.

Sydla

Reaction score

This is false. They are cutting salary anywhere they can. It’s why they didn’t even bother bringing Graham back. They knew he would be pricey.

They would want nothing to do with Bryant’s contract.