Cowboys approach to off-season remains consistent

Jumbo075

Reaction score
you do remember they were total crap for the first 8 games right? They were horrible

Of course. I predicted failure when they cut ties to both Bryant and Witten, and signed mediocre Allen Hurns as a "replacement" and traded for chronically under-performing Tavon Austin. They wisely righted the ship by trading for Amari Cooper. I thought I addressed this in post #8 in this thread.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I'm referencing impact FA players that elevate the team, not scrubs.

So, if Covington helps out the line and frees up the lb'ers, this safety comes in and gets some playing time, and the defense stays at a high level, how are they not impactful? Maybe they add a rookie who gets playing time.

They didn't sign this supposed super bowl free agency gaurentee that everyone wanted and is crying about. I still think they will win the division and make a playoff run. I am more excited about all the young players and stars right now than anytime that I can remember. I am 34. I just don't get everyone's outlook

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
as far as superbowl contender the cowboys are a marginal franchise at best they have drafted well but there success in the playoffs has also been marginal unless u have bellicheat as head coach your window to win in the nfl is small any more its a year to year league the front office has to have the ability to know what they are doing to build a superbowl contender jones and son are not up to the task

bsbellomy

Reaction score
That is what most of the league does year after year.

With this formula the cowboys have improved their odds substantially. It could fail, but then it would be like every other teams strategy. Why quit this plan as it is starting to come to fruition. This is when we start making legitimate runs. We won the division last year, and will be back in contention this year.

If the plan was working why did we panic trade in the middle of last season? The Rams destroyed our defense and we've done nothing to address it.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So, if Covington helps out the line and frees up the lb'ers, this safety comes in and gets some playing time, and the defense stays at a high level, how are they not impactful? Maybe they add a rookie who gets playing time.

They didn't sign this supposed super bowl free agency gaurentee that everyone wanted and is crying about. I still think they will win the division and make a playoff run. I am more excited about all the young players and stars right now than anytime that I can remember. I am 34. I just don't get everyone's outlook

Best we can hope for is that Covington helps by matching Gregory's production. His stats suggest he might be able to. But he isn't elevating us beyond where we were, which means we're the same.

I'm 43, so perhaps if I was your age, I'd have more patience in the eternal "process" to a Super Bowl, but I want to win now.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
And we might have a chance at the playoffs again. It's that all you want?

That is all every team wants. The regular season is irrelevant. You get a chance at a super bowl by getting a playoff spot.

In the salary cap era, how do you get as many chances as possible? You build a team through the draft, development, and smart contracts.

When you bring in high priced FA's you sacrifice depth on the roster. So there is a balance you have to maintain. The FA has to be worth it, because you lose your well drafted guys. (Cooper was risky and expensive, but worth the risk) This team has rebuilt the offense and defense and is starting to get depth. They have their new core, and will have them all signed in the next few years. In this regard, i think they look better than the other three teams in the division.

I think they have the best chance to win the NFC east consistently for the next four or five years (maybe more). This raises their percentage at a super bowl.

Last edited:

Cowfan75

Reaction score
And we might have a chance at the playoffs again. It's that all you want?

It's good enough for the owner and GM. If we're competitive in games, that's all Jerry needs because that equals ratings.

cern

Reaction score
Their strategy for dealing with free agents is sound. They have drafted well the past few years. The greatest failing, and probably the last of jerry's moves, is the head coach. Most agree the patriots do things the right way. But that's because of belichik. Garrett's been killing this team. Until he's gone, don't expect to be in the big dance.

Common Sense

Reaction score
They didn't blow off FA They brought in a dl, saftey, and a te.

They didn’t bring in Darian Thompson this offseason. They signed him off of Arizona’s practice squad last year and you didn’t even know he was on the team the whole time.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Their strategy for dealing with free agents is sound. They have drafted well the past few years. The greatest failing, and probably the last of jerry's moves, is the head coach. Most agree the patriots do things the right way. But that's because of belichik. Garrett's been killing this team. Until he's gone, don't expect to be in the big dance.

Jerry is a major issue as well but you are 100 pct correct on Garrett. I wonder if Rynochop agrees?

visionary

Reaction score
It’s consistent for sure. Consistently bad. You would think these idiots would try to change it up but alas the goal is not winning. The goal is selling.

This board is a great example of why Jerry does not and will not need to change anything

23 years of willful trash and there are still people who support him and this garbage HC

cern

Reaction score
Jerry is a major issue as well but you are 100 pct correct on Garrett. I wonder if Rynochop agrees?
Not sure who is rynochop. If you mean stephen, then I'd say yes. He is no fan of garrett's. He was the only member of the front office who called out the coaching staff during the 2015 season. Only Garrett and marinelli remain. Both need to be culled out.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Not sure who is rynochop. If you mean stephen, then I'd say yes. He is no fan of garrett's. He was the only member of the front office who called out the coaching staff during the 2015 season. Only Garrett and marinelli remain. Both need to be culled out.

Rynochop is a guy here that likes to opine on the quality of people’s threads. I am just harassing him a bit.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The salary cap makes it so that a team cannot simply load up and make a run year after year. It means being disciplined and building through the draft.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the plan was working why did we panic trade in the middle of last season? The Rams destroyed our defense and we've done nothing to address it.
What you call “panic” someone else might call recognizing a flaw and making a move to correct it. The most dramatic answer isn’t necessarily the most accurate.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying I wanted Earl Thomas. But I'm not crying like a little kid leaving the toy department empty handed, either.

It's frustrating watching the Cowboys do nothing in free agency, but I'd rather keep D-Law, Cooper, Zeke, Dak, Byron Jones, and Jaylon Smith over any free agents they could have signed last week.

Just look at some of the free agent signings of the past couple years: Kirk Cousins to Minnesota. Olivier Vernon to the Giants. Trumaine Johnson to the Jets. T.J. Lang to the Lions.

As excited as those teams were at this time of the year, they had buyer's remorse by the times the games started. Be wary when buying castoffs from other teams.