Twitter: Cowboys are 5th in the league in takeaways

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And the league leaders always get all their turnovers against only number 1 QBs and number 1 offenses?

The fact they went from bottom to top 5 shows that it’s a finicky stat. They come in bunches as they say. They also come when you’re not down a lot in the first half of games like we were most of the season.
yes I would assume most defenses get takeaways from the other teams starting qbs lol

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The defense needs a defensive tackle that can hold the point of attack not get shoved around and a middle linebacker that doesn't get rag dolled anytime he gets blocked more than a defensive coordinator. Safeties that are assignment sound and have range would be huge too

I definitely think you can upgrade at defensive coordinator to somebody who's more suited to our one gap players but the problem is more personnel than it is coaching.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
this is so misleading. The first 12 games of the year they were ranked 31st in the league. after playing 3 horrendous teams and getting 10 takeaways in 3 games it has catapulted them to looking like they actually create takeaways.

Takeaways are takeaways my man— regardless of who the competition is. I don’t see Belichik and Brady lining up to give back their trophies and statistical rankings despite padding their stats on a weak-sister division for the better part of 20 years.

Philly and Hurts were being tabbed as new darlings after the Arizona game. Yet we obliterated them. And while we definitely blew out a bad Cincy team— let’s not pretend that other teams were blowing them out at home. They lost a bunch of close games at home— but we destroyed them.

SF is basically a mirror team for us. Decimated by injuries and working with backup QBs. We beat a team we should have beaten.

Never apologize or minimize a 3 game winning streak in the NFL. It is damn hard to win in this league— and if we are going to criticize the D when they don’t get takeaways— we should not qualify their stats when they do actually start making some plays

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The defense needs a defensive tackle that can hold the point of attack not get shoved around in the middle linebacker that doesn't get rag dolled anytime he gets blocked more than a defensive coordinator. Safeties that are assignment sound and have range would be huge too

I definitely think you can upgrade at defensive coordinator to somebody who's more suited to our one gap players but the problem is more personnel than it is coaching.

Watched some of the Saints game this past week. Saw the other team's center get walked back like he was a child.

That's what's been missing from this team since Randy White, a dt that can get push up the middle. Until that arrives the defense will continue to struggle...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Takeaways are takeaways my man— regardless of who the competition is. I don’t see Belichik and Brady lining up to give back their trophies and statistical rankings despite padding their stats on a weak-sister division for the better part of 20 years.

Philly and Hurts were being tabbed as new darlings after the Arizona game. Yet we obliterated them. And while we definitely blew out a bad Cincy team— let’s not pretend that other teams were blowing them out at home. They lost a bunch of close games at home— but we destroyed them.

SF is basically a mirror team for us. Decimated by injuries and working with backup QBs. We beat a team we should have beaten.

Never apologize or minimize a 3 game winning streak in the NFL. It is damn hard to win in this league— and if we are going to criticize the D when they don’t get takeaways— we should not qualify their stats when they do actually start making some plays

I agree that such biasing is nonsense but really all it's good for in the grand scheme of things is showing exactly who has agendas and who has an open mind.

You aren't going to get them to change their position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think if the win the division and the D continues to show up like this— it’s likely Nolan will be back. Covid, no offseason, injuries, coaching transition etc... will all be levied as excuses to keep continuity for next year.

While I have been critical of Nolan all year and blamed him for a lot— I have to give credit where credit is due. The D has been playing better and the results are starting to manifest.

That said— at best his year will be a real mixed bag. We definitely have a lot of work to do on that side of the ball. But if the players have finally bought into the scheme and things are starting to click— patience may be the best course of action.

The next few weeks will determine his fate.

-Defense is still struggling, but there has been noticeable improvement. This unit has really been hit hard with injuries throughout the yr. Some may say that's just an excuse, but we already lacked high-end talent from the get go.

-Nolan wasn't given much of a chance for success as the front office, literally gave him nothing to work with and decided to let their best CB leave via fa.

-Increase in defense turnovers, which has been such a ongoing problem for many years, with many different coaches, is very encouraging.

-I can agree, Nolan still can save his job, but 1 more real bad performance, could seal his fate.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That's the 25,000 dollar question, especially if this team makes it into the postseason and has a good showing.
I like the defense when we put Lewis, Chido, Wilson, Brown and Diggs together. They appear to play zone when those guys are out there together. Nolan is not bad but I think they have already made a decision on him.

Proof

Reaction score
this is so misleading. The first 12 games of the year they were ranked 31st in the league. after playing 3 horrendous teams and getting 10 takeaways in 3 games it has catapulted them to looking like they actually create takeaways.

Haven’t they had 2+ for like 9 straight games?

quickccc

Reaction score
Maybe not having practice squad guys starting in the secondary allows better coverage which gives the pass rush more time to get home? Just sayin.. Though I still don't know what the hell Awuzie was doing on the Jackson TD yesterday.. Why anybody plays off on a 160 pound speed receiver will always be a mystery to me. Dude is a one trick pony.. Play up and get your hands on his little arse (like we did after that stupid play) and you absolutely neuter him. But don't miss that jam at the line or you got problems..

He apparently can't bump n run with Jackson .and all Jax does is run fly go routes - he didnt do jack elese rest of the game.
.and that's the one thing i'd give jackson the underneath and keep him in front of me instead of allowing him to get behind me ...

but my bigger question on that play was - where was the damn deep safety help in the middle?
either the coverage scheme sucks.. or the safety was out of position again . :mad:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Also INTs are a little repeatable, while fumbles are almost entirely random and do not carry over year to year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Watched some of the Saints game this past week. Saw the other team's center get walked back like he was a child.

That's what's been missing from this team since Randy White, a dt that can get push up the middle. Until that arrives the defense will continue to struggle...

I agree DT is an area of need. I like Gallimore but we need another DT in there as well. Crawford is a FA do not expect him to return.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
-Defense is still struggling, but there has been noticeable improvement. This unit has really been hit hard with injuries throughout the yr. Some may say that's just an excuse, but we already lacked high-end talent from the get go.

-Nolan wasn't given much of a chance for success as the front office, literally gave him nothing to work with and decided to let their best CB leave via fa.

-Increase in defense turnovers, which has been such a ongoing problem for many years, with many different coaches, is very encouraging.

-I can agree, Nolan still can save his job, but 1 more real bad performance, could seal his fate.

Agree.

Will be interesting to see what they target in the draft and FA this offseason now that they have evaluated the roster.

One silver lining to this injury plagued year is that they have gotten to see a lot of their young guys get quality NFL snaps.

We will see if the D continues to improve and tighten up or regress. Huge game in NY and if we can beat a division rival on the road— regardless of the outcome of the WFT game— then I think we have something we can work with. Even more-so if we actually play well in the playoffs.

But if the wheels come off on Sun and the D turns back into a pumpkin— then I’m all for making some changes.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I like the defense when we put Lewis, Chido, Wilson, Brown and Diggs together. They appear to play zone when those guys are out there together. Nolan is not bad but I think they have already made a decision on him.

You know what, that secondary has really been healthy all season long, kind of like the Tackle position on offense. You might be right about Nolan's fate, but if the defense closes out well, it will give the front office something to think about.

quickccc

Reaction score
Off coverage allows you to get deeper quicker. If you play up and miss against the speed receiver you're going to get absolutely roasted and Jackson is a wily veteran. the safety screwed up and took the underneath route as opposed to doubling the post as he was supposed to.

The secondary is performing very well. Their timing breaking on balls out of their drop has been textbook. Diggs sagging out of his zone in order to get underneath a deep route was savvy. The technique to rip during the tackle has been very successful.

The defensive coaching staff deserves a lot of credit for the turnovers.

having randy strip fumble helps, ..having Dlaw strip fumbles helps ...having butt fumbles help
finally giving Wilson start lead helps , and they are doing things with Lewis, Brown that's helping in coverage, Brown is not just man covering but he is playing in certain underneath zones, where he is jumping on balls (2 INTs last 2 games)

i heard Mickey say that they are even placing Lewis in spots at safety - maybe in adjusting to Xavier being out or it's different looks and roles.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree.

Will be interesting to see what they target in the draft and FA this offseason now that they have evaluated the roster.

One silver lining to this injury plagued year is that they have gotten to see a lot of their young guys get quality NFL snaps.

We will see if the D continues to improve and tighten up or regress. Huge game in NY and if we can beat a division rival on the road— regardless of the outcome of the WFT game— then I think we have something we can work with. Even more-so if we actually play well in the playoffs.

But if the wheels come off on Sun and the D turns back into a pumpkin— then I’m all for making some changes.

Nolan's defense has to play well against the Giants to really have any chance of returning. It's one of the worst offenses in the league and they are really struggling right now.

We have seen the defense playing better, but they are still struggling badly at times. We could make an argument, without the recent turnovers, we could of lost any of this past three games.

It really could go either way and depend on how their perform in the final week.

quickccc

Reaction score
Lol, playing scrub teams and back up QB’s will save Nolans job. Hahahahahaha...I had a feeling this would happen.

you play competitive with whatever is in your face, Whatever you're up against. If their backup QBs are turnover machines then that's on them.
If their HC is dumb enough to stop running the ball, then that's on him.
BTW, We are playing with a backup QB as well. ...:p

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Thats a no from me dog. doing something against terrible competition doesn't make them actually good at it. Just like we were great against the run in 2018 until a team actually good running the ball ran for almost 300 yards against us. Stats are great but there needs to be context as well.