Twitter: Cowboys are 5th in the league in takeaways

aria

Reaction score
you play competitive with whatever is in your face, Whatever you're up against. If their backup QBs are turnover machines then that's on them.
If their HC is dumb enough to stop running the ball, then that's on him.
BTW, We are playing with a backup QB as well. ...:p
Just saying, those stats are very misleading but it’s all good. I think Nolan has gotten a bad wrap, can’t wait to see what he does with this defense next year ;)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He apparently can't bump n run with Jackson .and all Jax does is run fly go routes - he didnt do jack elese rest of the game.
.and that's the one thing i'd give jackson the underneath and keep him in front of me instead of allowing him to get behind me ...

but my bigger question on that play was - where was the damn deep safety help in the middle?
either the coverage scheme sucks.. or the safety was out of position again . :mad:

I think that blown coverage was on Wilson, he jumped the underneath route.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That's the Andy Dalton leadership working for you.

Took some time, but now it's coming...

/s

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
What you are seeing right now is the NFL version of fools gold. This team played 3 terrible teams and beat them. That doesn't mean that the Dallas Jerry's are a good team. We are just a bad team that happens to be slightly better than the worst teams in the league.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Maybe not having practice squad guys starting in the secondary allows better coverage which gives the pass rush more time to get home? Just sayin.. Though I still don't know what the hell Awuzie was doing on the Jackson TD yesterday.. Why anybody plays off on a 160 pound speed receiver will always be a mystery to me. Dude is a one trick pony.. Play up and get your hands on his little arse (like we did after that stupid play) and you absolutely neuter him. But don't miss that jam at the line or you got problems..

Yep, don't miss that jam or get juked like Cooper did to that Eagle DB. Eagle DBs play tight and got toasted by Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb.

I don't think the Giant CBs will be aggressive at the line after what just happened to Philly yesterday.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think if the win the division and the D continues to show up like this— it’s likely Nolan will be back. Covid, no offseason, injuries, coaching transition etc... will all be levied as excuses to keep continuity for next year.

While I have been critical of Nolan all year and blamed him for a lot— I have to give credit where credit is due. The D has been playing better and the results are starting to manifest.

That said— at best his year will be a real mixed bag. We definitely have a lot of work to do on that side of the ball. But if the players have finally bought into the scheme and things are starting to click— patience may be the best course of action.

The next few weeks will determine his fate.

Outstanding post. Although I still question his basic strategies against specific matchups, his obvious playing d linemen out of position and overall consistency, I will concede that the ability of Diggs and Brown to actually catch the picks thrown to them is a very welcome surprise.
For that alone I am grateful as the unsolved mystery of lack of secondary picks has had me scratching my head for a couple decades now.
Bout what I can give him.

Gregory looks healthy and that he wants to play the last few games too but that's more the player than coach.

And my vote is still a decisive Nolan termination regardless of outcome. Next year's defensive roster will be entirely different and I don't trust him.

Last edited:

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
He apparently can't bump n run with Jackson .and all Jax does is run fly go routes - he didnt do jack elese rest of the game.
.and that's the one thing i'd give jackson the underneath and keep him in front of me instead of allowing him to get behind me ...

but my bigger question on that play was - where was the damn deep safety help in the middle?
either the coverage scheme sucks.. or the safety was out of position again . :mad:
Wilson took the cheese.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Thats a no from me dog. doing something against terrible competition doesn't make them actually good at it. Just like we were great against the run in 2018 until a team actually good running the ball ran for almost 300 yards against us. Stats are great but there needs to be context as well.

I get your point. Both statements are true:

Dallas is ranked 10th in the NFL in takeaways. Aaaand Dallas has forced 10 turnovers in 3 games against teams with losing records playing backup QBs. Lol

lwehlers

Reaction score
..wow! Now the dilemma. Do you keep Nolan? Or is it all MM?
both mccarthy and nolan will be back next year no matter what happens on sunday. the coaching staff got this team back on track when it looked like they were going to fall off and lose the rest of there games after the ravens loss.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thats a no from me dog. doing something against terrible competition doesn't make them actually good at it. Just like we were great against the run in 2018 until a team actually good running the ball ran for almost 300 yards against us. Stats are great but there needs to be context as well.

So do teams get credit if they play a really good team real close but lose?

lostar2009

Reaction score
I wonder what our D would rank ONLY after the fact we got rid of those FAs?

Dreski

Reaction score
The team/coaches are doing better, but I want to see consistency.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
this is so misleading. The first 12 games of the year they were ranked 31st in the league. after playing 3 horrendous teams and getting 10 takeaways in 3 games it has catapulted them to looking like they actually create takeaways.

While that may be true. They've played some pretty sucky schedules before and haven't been in the top 10 in takeaways. So even if the competition is bad, you've still got to get the turnover, which we haven't done for a long while.