Twitter: Cowboys are 5th in the league in takeaways

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Dallas has a long history of making backup QB's look like Marino or Elway... Just saying

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
While that may be true. They've played some pretty sucky schedules before and haven't been in the top 10 in takeaways. So even if the competition is bad, you've still got to get the turnover, which we haven't done for a long while.
I dont think we've ever played 3 bottom feeder teams with their backup qbs 3 times in a row

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I get your point. Both statements are true:

Dallas is ranked 10th in the NFL in takeaways. Aaaand Dallas has forced 10 turnovers in 3 games against teams with losing records playing backup QBs. Lol
I can just hear dumb fans in the next few years talking about how we were great at creating takeaways in 2020

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I dont think we've ever played 3 bottom feeder teams with their backup qbs 3 times in a row

Specifically that? Probably not. But we've played some pretty bad competition and still didn't manage to take the ball away. The one thing Nolan is good at is coaching his defenses to get takeaways. It's difficult to not acknowledge that difference considering the team's failures in that area for so many years.

Takeaways are generally a combination of luck and skill. We've had some luck this year, but we've also shown more skill to force some of them.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Specifically that? Probably not. But we've played some pretty bad competition and still didn't manage to take the ball away. The one thing Nolan is good at is coaching his defenses to get takeaways. It's difficult to not acknowledge that difference considering the team's failures in that area for so many years.

Takeaways are generally a combination of luck and skill. We've had some luck this year, but we've also shown more skill to force some of them.
Fumbles are mostly luck dont expect it to translate to next year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Fumbles are mostly luck dont expect it to translate to next year.

They can be, but they are also the product of defenders knowing when to go for the ball, like Lawrence did against Cincinnati, like Gregory did against Hurts (which we were lucky was ruled a fumble).

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Maybe not having practice squad guys starting in the secondary allows better coverage which gives the pass rush more time to get home? Just sayin.. Though I still don't know what the hell Awuzie was doing on the Jackson TD yesterday.. Why anybody plays off on a 160 pound speed receiver will always be a mystery to me. Dude is a one trick pony.. Play up and get your hands on his little arse (like we did after that stupid play) and you absolutely neuter him. But don't miss that jam at the line or you got problems..
Awuzie isn’t a huge upgrade over a PS corner......if any

bigE79

Reaction score
Lol, playing scrub teams and back up QB’s will save Nolans job. Hahahahahaha...I had a feeling this would happen.
You act like we are so superior to them,have you seen our OL this year,all pros everywhere...those teams had just as much chance to beat us as we did them..come on aria, you're better than this.

aria

Reaction score
You act like we are so superior to them,have you seen our OL this year,all pros everywhere...those teams had just as much chance to beat us as we did them..come on aria, you're better than this.
Our own fans underestimate our own team because it’s almost as if they don’t watch any other teams play and have no idea how bad some of them are. Take Eagles for example, their O line has given up the most sacks in the league and their secondary was ranked 5 teams lower than ours in yards given up from passing. The Bengals secondary is bottom 10 in the league and the Giants secondary is worse than ours as well. IMOF, there are ~15 other teams that have a worse secondary than we do.

Do you really think the Bengals or Philthy, who both have significantly worse back up QB’s than ours, had just as good as a chance to win those games as we did considering our offensive firepower and significantly better secondaries? I don’t and the same can be said against the Giants. Hell, I would probably take Dalton over their QB, I would definitely take our current O line of theirs, I would take our secondary over theirs and I would 100% take our WR’s, TE’s, and RB’s ofer theirs. The only advantage they have is their interior D line. They have no edge rushers and one good linebacker.

So yes, IMO, we are superior to all of those teams, especially offensively.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So yes, IMO, we are superior to all of those teams, especially offensively.

Agreed, though not by a ton, IMO. This is the NFL, thousands of college players winnowed down to less than 2,000 NFL players, the talent level overall isn't vastly different. A lot has to do with coaching and picking where you put your top players.

As well as luck...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Quality of opponent is the only thing that matters when it comes to takeaways.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It does not matter, what team was played. Turnovers are turnovers, and this team did not have success against the same type of teams, in years past. Nothing is good enough for this fan base.

aria

Reaction score
I think quality of opponent matters when it comes to to turnovers.

For example, how can someone say that getting two INT’s and a fumble recovery last year against the Giants, who had one of the worst O lines in the league, and whose QB led the league in turnovers is the same as getting 2 INT’s and a fumble against one of the best O lines and QB’s in the game?

It’s not the same as far as quality but the result is the same. I known there’s different opinions on this but that’s like getting just as excited and saying beating the Jets is the same as beating the Chiefs. It’s still a W but lets not kid ourselves and say the quality of win is the same.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think quality of opponent matters when it comes to to turnovers.

For example, how can someone say that getting two INT’s and a fumble recovery last year against the Giants, who had one of the worst O lines in the league, and whose QB led the league in turnovers is the same as getting 2 INT’s and a fumble against one of the best O lines and QB’s in the game?

It’s not the same as far as quality but the result is the same. I known there’s different opinions on this but that’s like getting just as excited and saying beating the Jets is the same as beating the Chiefs. It’s still a W but lets not kid ourselves and say the quality of win is the same.

Fully agree with all of your context regarding "quality" of opponent and your examples used.

It reminds me of last year's 1st 3 game winning streak and following 1-6 performance against playoff team losses.

Quality of opponent win is a tangible thing.

Outstanding post.

PS. And I fully agree with you that If Nolan is retained based on these end of season weak opponents, this will be another circus next year as well.

The Cowboy Way