Twitter: Cowboys are 5th in the league in takeaways

Batman1980

Reaction score
A mirage that ends sunday

I doubt it, the G-Strings like to give the ball away, their offense is ice cold and they will probably be playing from behind a lot. Recipe that lends itself to lots of passes from Danny Dimes, which means lots of opportunities for strip sacks and interceptions.

KB1122

Reaction score
One of my favorite football sayings:

Dropped interceptions lose games.

People think breaking up a pass play is a good play.

Not if you should have caught it.

Historically, certain football teams that shall remain unidentified have put too much emphasis on a tenth of a second on a DB's 40 time and not enough on his ability to catch the ball.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's the 25,000 dollar question, especially if this team makes it into the postseason and has a good showing.

I think the last 3 games have all but assured Nolan is back for 2021, especially if we slip into the playoffs. Momentum is now on his side. Not sure you wanna mess with that and start over. No question the D still needs some tweaking but it appears they're finally headed in the right direction. Fix the run game and keep the score down.......they're a top 10 D. I always think back to what Belichick once said two main goals of defense......turnovers and containing the score. Didn't care much about yards surrendered as long as scoring is kept to a min.

BTW: IMO we can thank Randy Gregory for what we've seen from the D the last three games. I've always said every top defense has one or two playmakers that make others better. His impact, pressures, sacks, and forced fumbles are making it easier for teammates. especially the secondary.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And the league leaders always get all their turnovers against only number 1 QBs and number 1 offenses?

The fact they went from bottom to top 5 shows that it’s a finicky stat. They come in bunches as they say. They also come when you’re not down a lot in the first half of games like we were most of the season.

Like most things in the NFL, you have to wait until season's end to fully evaluate a team...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think the last 3 games have all but assured Nolan is back for 2021, especially if we slip into the playoffs. Momentum is now on his side. Not sure you wanna mess with that and start over. No question the D still needs some tweaking but it appears they're finally headed in the right direction. Fix the run game and keep the score down.......they're a top 10 D. I always think back to what Belichick once said two main goals of defense......turnovers and containing the score. Didn't care much about yards surrendered as long as scoring is kept to a min.

BTW: IMO we can thank Randy Gregory for what we've seen from the D the last three games. I've always said every top defense has one or two playmakers that make others better. His impact, pressures, sacks, and forced fumbles are making it easier for teammates. especially the secondary.

The defensive coordinator is not in total control of the defense, there are numerous other coaches that have input. So I wouldn't be too concerned the Cowboys would have to "start over" if Nolan left. Will probably have a lot more off season to prepare for next year than we had this year...

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I doubt it, the G-Strings like to give the ball away, their offense is ice cold and they will probably be playing from behind a lot. Recipe that lends itself to lots of passes from Danny Dimes, which means lots of opportunities for strip sacks and interceptions.
Garrett will have his best game plan of the year and it would be so appropriate for him to knock the Cowboys out of the playoffs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

He can't have his defense lay an egg, next week or if they get into the playoffs. We have to be reminded, that these last 3 weeks were all against backup QB's. Nolan will be judged for the entire year of work, not how just a few games. With all this I said, he still has a good chance of returning.

Gregory no doubt has made a major impact for this defense. He is an legitimate, edge rusher and underrated against the run. Think our front 4 is coming together, you figure starting bookends are in place, Hill/Gallimore play the 3 and the biggest need to fill is at that 1 tech DT spot.

Motorola

Reaction score

Turnovers affect game outcomes in a number of ways:
1) Flips the field position just like a great punt \ long run back on a fumble recovery or interception
2) Staves off a game getting out of hand \ unwinnable when the offense starts out - becomes inept at scoring
3) Produces points indirectly: after recovery - offense drives for a score
4) Produces points directly: scoop & score, pick-six

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I'll say this... This defense has been all time historically bad, just atrocious some games, and seemingly looked like they simply gave up in a handful games.

So for this SAME BUNCH of nitwits now to be 5th in the league in turnovers is the most mind boggling stat of the season for me.

:huh:

khiladi

Reaction score
When Dak was QB we had the worst TO differential in the league. Dalton isn’t throwing INTs or fumbling like Dak and his pal Zeke. And Zeke is now running behind a real leader and stopped fumbling.

Basically our offense when Dak was in charge was committing as many TOs as our defense has been generating in the last five games.

khiladi

Reaction score
And let’s be real.. all 3 TOs against the Eagles were in garbage tint anyways when we were up like 13 and Hurts and the Eagles were pressing. All three of them were on the last three possessions. Andy already basically put the game away when the defense started taking the ball away.

Those TOs are almost as garbage as Dak’s yardage stats.

anything to downplay Dalton to prop up Dak...