Cowboys Are Best Road Team. By Far

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How is it possible that a coach w/a 21-4 road record* sucks? That’s incomprehensibly difficult to achieve in the NFL. I’m simple. I’m open to arguments. Walk me through it.

*21-4 over 4 years...with either Dak or Tony at the helm
Well, my friend, that is where JG has pulled the elusive hat trick. The team had enough talent to win in spite of him against average to slightly above average teams (let's say the 75th percentile). Not enough talent to overcome his average incompetence against the best teams or to even beat those below the 75th percentile when JG was really putting on an incompetence clinic.

I feel better. Thought you were going to ask a difficult question requiring thought. Guess I can go back to work now. BTW, I blame you for having to go back to work. :mad:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Ok here's my controversial question...

Would you favor the Cowboys move to a different city that has been yearning for an NFL team? A city with a hungry fanbase ready to assume the role of the 12th man? Let's assume they kept the name and uniform but moved say to St.Louis or Portland. Unless you live in Dallas, would you really care? For the vast majority of Cowboys fans that live outside the Dallas Metroplex, I assume we root for the team and uniform and not for "Dallas" per se. So if moving the team would improve the results, would you be for it?
Ohhhhhhh, nice question!!! Can't imagine saying anything but Dallas Cowboys .... but yes I am tied to the team .... no matter where they play. At least that's my initial reaction.

Big_D

Reaction score
Then they should be better at home since it's almost like an away game anyway?

T-RO

Reaction score
Well, my friend, that is where JG has pulled the elusive hat trick. The team had enough talent to win in spite of him against average to slightly above average teams (let's say the 75th percentile). Not enough talent to overcome his average incompetence against the best teams or to even beat those below the 75th percentile when JG was really putting on an incompetence clinic.

I feel better. Thought you were going to ask a difficult question requiring thought. Guess I can go back to work now. BTW, I blame you for having to go back to work. :mad:

I accept blame. Now...Send me your paycheck.;)

408Cowboy

Reaction score
a·nom·a·ly
noun
  1. 1.
    something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.
    "there are a number of anomalies in the present system"
    synonyms: oddity, peculiarity, abnormality, irregularity, inconsistency, incongruity, aberration, quirk, rarity
    "Jason Garrett's coaching career is an anomaly"

T-RO

Reaction score
Here’s the second controversial question:
Do fans that don’t cheer deserve to lose?

We accept the notion that coaches and fans who don’t bring passion and 100% effort are going to lose...and are acutely responsible for their fate. What about the fans who don’t bring it?

If other fans are putting in the effort...going crazy....impacting the games...and our 12th man is laying down...is this what we deserve?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas is the ultimate road team in the NFC over the past four years. And it’s not even close!

Even including the down 2015 season...nobody in the NFC has won more road games than Dallas. The Cowboys have piled up an absolutely golden 23-9 record in roadies spanning ‘14, ‘15, ‘16, and ‘17.

To put that in perspective...that’s a winning percentage that gets you in the playoffs every season. All on the road while sleeping in hotels and facing a wall of noise.

How does this road record stack up?
#1 Dallas: 23-9
#2 Atlanta: 18-14

Quite Simply...they’ve been killing it.

More thoughts...and a very controversial question coming in a bit...
ok, good road team. that's great, but what about home games...are we one of the worst home teams as a result? you have to win at home.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

We accept the notion that coaches and fans who don’t bring passion and 100% effort are going to lose...and are acutely responsible for their fate. What about the fans who don’t bring it?

If other fans are putting in the effort...going crazy....impacting the games...and our 12th man is laying down...is this what we deserve?
If they're not invested enough in the game to cheer and all that then I don't think they really care. Makes it a moot point.

CPanther95

Reaction score

Blame the PSLs. Cowboys had such ridiculously high PSL costs it was inevitable that it was going to be a wine and cheese crowd. They will never be a raucous crowd.

... and it can never be corrected until a new stadium is built.

T-RO

Reaction score
Blame the PSLs. Cowboys had such ridiculously high PSL costs it was inevitable that it was going to be a wine and cheese crowd. They will never be a raucous crowd.

... and it can never be corrected until a new stadium is built.

So Jerry deserves the lame crowds...that deserve to lose.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dallas is the ultimate road team in the NFC over the past four years. And it’s not even close!

Even including the down 2015 season...nobody in the NFC has won more road games than Dallas. The Cowboys have piled up an absolutely golden 23-9 record in roadies spanning ‘14, ‘15, ‘16, and ‘17.

To put that in perspective...that’s a winning percentage that gets you in the playoffs every season. All on the road while sleeping in hotels and facing a wall of noise.

How does this road record stack up?
#1 Dallas: 23-9
#2 Atlanta: 18-14

Quite Simply...they’ve been killing it.

More thoughts...and a very controversial question coming in a bit...

They needed to be because they are a terrible home team. I would also ask what does any of this matter if the team can't make and advance in the playoffs?

Is this a Jerry Jones Bot Account???

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How do the Cowboys compare to their divisional rivals when playing on the road, in past 4 years?

Dallas, 23-9
Eagles, 15-17
Giants, 11-21
Commanders, 10-21-1

That my friends is sheer domination.

The problem of course is that Dallas hasn’t held serve with it’s home games. 15-17 over that same 4-year span.

If there ever was a troll post this is it...

CPanther95

Reaction score

Nothing about the stadium that Jerry built was done for the purpose of creating a home field advantage. It was all about image and generating revenue.

It can't be a surprise to anyone that there's no real advantage to the team.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Not a moot point for those of us that do care.

I think he read it the same way I did initially - that the specific fans that don't cheer deserve to lose. Since they don't cheer, they probably aren't that invested in the outcome anyway.

But you're talking more collectively as a fan base.

T-RO

Reaction score
Nothing about the stadium that Jerry built was done for the purpose of creating a home field advantage. It was all about image and generating revenue.

It can't be a surprise to anyone that there's no real advantage to the team.

Some truth here. But again...I’ve been at a number of games at the old stadium...fans were weak and passive there too. Its a deeper issue than the stadium.

90,000 fans can’t get loud? Even if half of them were wine & cheese folks...there ought to be enough beer-drinking hardy types to make a wall of noise.

GenoT

Reaction score
While Jerry is quite happy that his stadium is alway$ full, it’s seriously doubtful he cares much about the “quality” of the cheering, or that he would consider said cheering to have much impact on the Cowboys’ W-L fortunes.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
They're not good on the road, they've just played crappy teams.

Titans 2-14
Rams 6-10
Seattle 12-4
Jacksonville 3-13
Giants 6-10
Bears 5-11
Eagles 10-6
Commanders 4-12

Eagles 7-9
Dolphins 6-10
Commanders 9-7

Commanders 8-7-1
49ers 2-14
Packers 10-6
Browns 1-15
Steelers 11-5
Vikings 8-8

Cardinals 8-8
49ers 6-10
Commanders 7-9
Giants 3-13
Raiders 6-10
Eagles 13-3

They have 7 road wins against teams that finished with a winning record, one of those was the 8-7-1 Skins and another was the Eagles with all of their starters benched in a meaningless week 17 game. There are 3 good wins on this list - Seattle, GB, and Pitt.

If you count ONLY the road games against teams that finished with a winning record AND dismiss the Eagles game from last season, the Romo/Dak teams are still 5-2 over the past four seasons. That's a .714 winning percentage -- BY FAR the best in the NFC (the Eagles are second at .450) and tied for the best in the NFL (Patriots also .714). Even the Matt Cassel team went 1-1 -- again, that .500 winning percentage would lead the NFC and would be tied for third in the NFL.

The average winning percentage in road games against teams that finish with a winning record is .269. Twenty teams are BELOW .300 over the past four years. Even Aaron Rodgers' Packers are at .214 (that doesn't include the games he missed). We're at .700 (including the Cassel games).

Against teams that made the playoffs, we're at .625 --- or .667 if you take out the Cassel games. Either way, only the Patriots are better. And again, Cassel's .500 alone would rank third in the NFL.

How does any of that make us "not good on the road"? We almost always win -- no matter whether we're playing a bad team, an average team, a good team or a great team.