Cowboys are QB Hunting

cnuball21

Reaction score
Threw a terrible pop fly that the niner dB dropped in the 4th quarter too
Dak is the definition of Stafford.

Both good, above average QBs that need a good team around them to win a Super Bowl.

It’s a very, very easy concept.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
No, it’s 2023 and I’m replying based on actual stats and metrics that measure QB play. But ok.
You are literally ignoring the most important stat (getting to/winning a SB) in favor of stats that don't mean anything. And you are ignoring the clear and obvious story the most important stat is telling you.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You are literally ignoring the most important stat (getting to/winning a SB) in favor of stats that don't mean anything. And you are ignoring the clear and obvious story the most important stat is telling you.
No, I’m simply acknowledging that this is a team sport and it’s not tennis.

QBs have made runs in the playoffs playing worse than other QBs because their teams are better.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
No, I’m simply acknowledging that this is a team sport and it’s not tennis.

QBs have made runs in the playoffs playing worse than other QBs because their teams are better.

No one would disagree with that and it has literally nothing to do with my point.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would heartily disagree outside of Hurts and the guys who actually won one in your list. Opinions aside, the facts are the facts - most Super Bowl qbs in the modern era are drafted in the first round, and almost all of them are in the first 2 rounds. It is what it is regardless of what people choose to believe.
In the past 22 years, 11 times of 22 the SB winning QB was drafted in the 1st round.

All but 1 of the non-first rounders were drafted after the 2nd round.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
In the past 22 years, 11 times of 22 the SB winning QB was drafted in the 1st round.

All but 1 of the non-first rounders were drafted after the 2nd round.
You're counting # SBs. You should be counting the QB's because the question is - when do you draft your QB if your goal is to win a SB? Assuming I added this up correctly, since 2000 here is where the QB's who have won SB's were drafted: 1st round = 7, 2nd round = 2, 3rd round or later = 3. So 9 out of 12 were drafted in the first 2 rounds, and over half were drafted in the 1st. There numbers are so slanted one way there's not even a point to debate.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He’s going top 10 after his combine.

Problem is, he’s not good at football lol
I would be very concerned that he is another great athlete that is always going to look to run rather than learning how to be an NFL QB.

He will probably do a lot of highlight things and folks will wonder why his team never gets over the hump.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're counting # SBs. You should be counting the QB's because the question is - when do you draft your QB if your goal is to win a SB? Assuming I added this up correctly, since 2000 here is where the QB's who have won SB's were drafted: 1st round = 7, 2nd round = 2, 3rd round or later = 3. So 9 out of 12 were drafted in the first 2 rounds, and over half were drafted in the 1st. There numbers are so slanted one way there's not even a point to debate.
No, it only matters who won each year. You can't discount multi-time winners.

Did I miss a 2nd round QB? I only see Drew Brees.

Wilson & Foles were 3rd round.

Going back in time.

Kurt Warner
Joe Montana
Staubach
Johnny Unitas
Bart Starr
Multiple others

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
No, it only matters who won each year. You can't discount multi-time winners.

Did I miss a 2nd round QB? I only see Drew Brees.

Wilson & Foles were 3rd round.

Going back in time.

Kurt Warner
Joe Montana
Staubach
Johnny Unitas
Bart Starr
Multiple others
It depends on which question you are answering. I am answering - when should you draft a QB if your goal is to get to a SB? In that case you HAVE to omit multiple time winners because otherwise you are counting the same decision more than once. And going back that far in time is totally irrelevant. It was a different game then.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on which question you are answering. I am answering - when should you draft a QB if your goal is to get to a SB? In that case you HAVE to omit multiple time winners because otherwise you are counting the same decision more than once. And going back that far in time is totally irrelevant. It was a different game then.
Obviously the odds of success by any measure (All Pro, etc.) is higher for 1st round picks.

Going back to 2000, teams don't require a 1st round RB to win a Super Bowl; However, if Adrian Peterson 2.0 is available late 1st it would be dumb not to draft him.

A case could be made to draft a QB in the 6th round every year because 7 of the last 22 Super Bowls were won by Tom Brady.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Obviously the odds of success by any measure (All Pro, etc.) is higher for 1st round picks.

Going back to 2000, teams don't require a 1st round RB to win a Super Bowl; However, if Adrian Peterson 2.0 is available late 1st it would be dumb not to draft him.

A case could be made to draft a QB in the 6th round every year because 7 of the last 22 Super Bowls were won by Tom Brady.
We are probably never going to agree so let's just end with a statement that can't be disputed: since the 2000 season (assuming I counted correctly) 12 QB's have won super bowls: 7 drafted in the 1st round, 2 in the 2nd, and only 3 in the 3rd round or later.

Opinions will vary, but that tells me all I need to know about when I should draft my QB. Have a good day.

Updated: Actually I think it's 13 total QBs and 8 were drafted in Rd 1 not 7.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are probably never going to agree so let's just end with a statement that can't be disputed: since the 2000 season (assuming I counted correctly) 12 QB's have won super bowls: 7 drafted in the 1st round, 2 in the 2nd, and only 3 in the 3rd round or later.

Opinions will vary, but that tells me all I need to know about when I should draft my QB. Have a good day.

Updated: Actually I think it's 13 total QBs and 8 were drafted in Rd 1 not 7.
Emmitt Smith won 3 Super Bowls and is the all-time leading rusher.

Conclusion: Teams should only draft RBs that are 5-9 and run a 4.6 forty.

You can make any conclusions that you want to make. That does not mean they're correct.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith won 3 Super Bowls and is the all-time leading rusher.

Conclusion: Teams should only draft RBs that are 5-9 and run a 4.6 forty.

You can make any conclusions that you want to make. That does not mean they're correct.
No in order to make that conclusion you'd have to look at all the other guys who were 5-9/4.6 and see how their careers panned out. If there were 200 of them and they all sucked except Emmit, you might decide it's too risky to go that route. You are just looking at one guy in a vacuum. I am looking at 23 years of results for the entire league.