CFZ Cowboys at a crossroads for playoff momentum

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah that’s crazy to say but yeah it’s true. I’d go as far as to say he has been better than Tuna….granted, Tuna did have to start from scratch but as far as coaching goes? I’d say he’s been the best since Jimmy.
Bills roster was horrendous. He did a great job in 4 years considering where that team was, then Jerry undid all of it in record time.

Mike definitely looks to be in the same mold. He came in with a legitimate plan to improve the team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would also add that being one of the youngest teams in the NFL bodes well in continuing regular season sucess.

No telling about future playoff sucess, however. Time will tell
Which is why they build through the draft, and do not overspend on FA's (other than their own at times).
As long as they replace players in the draft for the ones they do lose, this can help them be better for longer, than a one and done SB win.
However if they are that close, then thy need to go for it, and go all in. It could be getting to that point.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Making the playoffs is not easy nowadays
"Easy" isn't an easily defined term, but for sure having nearly 40% of the teams in the league in the playoffs means you don't have to be that good to make the playoffs. "Making the playoffs" doesn't mean nearly what it did years ago.

And yes, I AM "spoiled" by the success other Cowboys teams had in years past.

You might also take note of the stat that Dallas is one of what, 3 (or 4, I forget how many, but it's a small number) of teams in the NFC that hasn't been to the NFC Championship game since the 1995 season? And 5-11 in the playoffs since 1995, that's mediocre, at best.

To paraphrase Herm Edwards, "you play to win the trophy". Less than that doesn't satisfy. If you are, no problem, to each his own, but we certainly don't agree....

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just don’t see how. The schedule will be easier…they won 12 games with Dak getting hurt for 6 games….im not seeing a regression unless the defense gets worse….
IT can slip because the division improves if NY and Washington improve even slightly, that can take a few games away for us or the beagles etc.. injuries happen yearly if too many happen like 2020 well cant expect MM to be miracle worker. looks at a schedule and saying its easier is saying that the rams and bengals game last year were going to be our toughest we beat them both with BU qb and not much offense, who saw that coming LOL that can be us just as easily.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Besides hitting on Parsons which has uplifted our defense , Im not really seeing this dramatic difference in this team from this HC to our last HC.

While the defense is improved , we saw it slide in second half of last season . And the offense has slid from the more running game dominance we had with prior staff.

We did finally have consecutive playoff appearances which is first time since Bill in 2006-2007. But thus far the results haven’t culminated in playoffs with very similar results.

So far , it’s still much in the same to me. Such a shame with a more proven HC . Hopefully that changes. We shall see.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
We're not making the playoffs 3 years in a row, and I think Dak regresses even more. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. It's sad, because I think our defense will be top 10, if not top 5.
I agree and here's why. I think the fan base has turned on him and fair or not, the first interception he's gonna hear it and it's not going to get better unless we are on a long winning streak.

I think physically Dak will be the same, he's fine. Not great, sometimes very good, sometimes terrible, but I think mentally the pressure will start to wear on him and confidence will become a factor. We ran Meredith out, we booed Aikman at the end, Dak is on deck.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
"Easy" isn't an easily defined term, but for sure having nearly 40% of the teams in the league in the playoffs means you don't have to be that good to make the playoffs. "Making the playoffs" doesn't mean nearly what it did years ago.

And yes, I AM "spoiled" by the success other Cowboys teams had in years past.

You might also take note of the stat that Dallas is one of what, 3 (or 4, I forget how many, but it's a small number) of teams in the NFC that hasn't been to the NFC Championship game since the 1995 season? And 5-11 in the playoffs since 1995, that's mediocre, at best.

To paraphrase Herm Edwards, "you play to win the trophy". Less than that doesn't satisfy. If you are, no problem, to each his own, but we certainly don't agree....
I'm not happy at all, but I also don't need to act out like a child and make this place hard to fathom simply because one wants to throw nonstop tantrums.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, complaining at not making the Championship Game for 27 years is perfectly fine. Being satisfied with JUST MAKING THE PLAYOFFS is NOT FINE.
REAL COWBOYS FANS expect more and are not satisfied until they get there.

BLUNTLY SPEAKING, all we are getting now is like a participation trophy. MEANINGLESS.
Read my last reply above ^^^

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
28 years of no NFC Championship game says more.
Winning is the only way to change that narrative. Being “semi-close” should never be “good enough”. Which is why I think NOW is the time for the FO to push the chips ”all in”. The NFC is wide open. To not take risks to get better is just bad management of the cap and this roster.

It’s time to go for it.

Big_D

Reaction score
Besides hitting on Parsons which has uplifted our defense , Im not really seeing this dramatic difference in this team from this HC to our last HC.

While the defense is improved , we saw it slide in second half of last season . And the offense has slid from the more running game dominance we had with prior staff.

We did finally have consecutive playoff appearances which is first time since Bill in 2006-2007. But thus far the results haven’t culminated in playoffs with very similar results.

So far , it’s still much in the same to me. Such a shame with a more proven HC . Hopefully that changes. We shall see.
The roster looks better in 3 years than Garrett after 10. It’s certainly not just Parsons. Back to back double digit wins. Consistency and get to the playoffs. If you don’t see a difference in the coaches and how one has a real plan and the other with no resume or history of any success whatsoever was just winging it, you never will.

The entire roster is light years better with real competition at every level. Churning to improve in all 3 phases and has done that. Garrett was a joke.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree and here's why. I think the fan base has turned on him and fair or not, the first interception he's gonna hear it and it's not going to get better unless we are on a long winning streak.

I think physically Dak will be the same, he's fine. Not great, sometimes very good, sometimes terrible, but I think mentally the pressure will start to wear on him and confidence will become a factor. We ran Meredith out, we booed Aikman at the end, Dak is on deck.
So the team will be worse and miss the playoffs because the fan base turned on the QB's?
There aren't / weren't other factors involved?

I don't think these are any QB allow that to effect their play under pressure. Any loss of confidence may be from not having better surrounding players, or comes from within themselves. Not because of the fans. I can see that reasoning to a point, but I don't buy that it is the reason, if any, less than 1% of it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bills roster was horrendous. He did a great job in 4 years considering where that team was, then Jerry undid all of it in record time.

Mike definitely looks to be in the same mold. He came in with a legitimate plan to improve the team.
My issue with Tuna was a s actual coach. He stepped all over Payton and the team wasn’t well coached on the field.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IT can slip because the division improves if NY and Washington improve even slightly, that can take a few games away for us or the beagles etc.. injuries happen yearly if too many happen like 2020 well cant expect MM to be miracle worker. looks at a schedule and saying its easier is saying that the rams and bengals game last year were going to be our toughest we beat them both with BU qb and not much offense, who saw that coming LOL that can be us just as easily.
I’m not saying we won’t regress wins wise. I don’t see less than 10 wins even if NY and Skins get better.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
So the team will be worse and miss the playoffs because the fan base turned on the QB's?
There aren't / weren't other factors involved?

I don't think these are any QB allow that to effect their play under pressure. Any loss of confidence may be from not having better surrounding players, or comes from within themselves. Not because of the fans. I can see that reasoning to a point, but I don't buy that it is the reason, if any, less than 1% of it.
I would correlate the loss of confidence internally as a result of external pressure.

There are countless examples of athletes pressing due to bad games and/or slumps and media and fans amplify that. Just my opinion but I believe Dak is on the edge of a performance cliff. The running game is a question mark, as is tight end, and we would all agree Dak is a quarterback that needs things to go right much like Derek Carr, Tua and Daniel Jones. He can avoid it, but it could go the other way fast.

Right now in the off-season, it isn't front and center but you can bet recency bias will kick in and the fan's reference point will be the 49ers game. If he throws a pick in the first half of the opener it will get ugly and he's human so of course it will weigh on him.

Big_D

Reaction score
My issue with Tuna was a s actual coach. He stepped all over Payton and the team wasn’t well coached on the field.
He made them a playoff team with a lot of pieces in place. That period before BP was the worst of the worst when it comes to Jerry’s 30 years at the helm. That’s really saying a lot because his decisions after Parcells were still horrendous like he learned nothing at all.

But BP was a coach who held players accountable. It was a complete turnaround and exactly what was needed. You don’t think Payton’s time with Parcells helped him tremendously? A legit teacher and a legit coaching tree. Wasn’t he fired prior to that?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The roster looks better in 3 years than Garrett after 10. It’s certainly not just Parsons. Back to back double digit wins. Consistency and get to the playoffs. If you don’t see a difference in the coaches and how one has a real plan and the other with no resume or history of any success whatsoever was just winging it, you never will.

The entire roster is light years better with real competition at every level. Churning to improve in all 3 phases and has done that. Garrett was a joke.
My comparison is the end result in the first playoffs isn’t any better. The rest of it doesn’t interest me.

And Garrett’s joke still reflects the most playoff wins by any HC this era. Like I added . Hope that changes.

GMO415

Reaction score
Winning is the only way to change that narrative. Being “semi-close” should never be “good enough”. Which is why I think NOW is the time for the FO to push the chips ”all in”. The NFC is wide open. To not take risks to get better is just bad management of the cap and this roster.

It’s time to go for it.
Bullet, it's time to realize the Jones family is content with good enough.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm not happy at all, but I also don't need to act out like a child and make this place hard to fathom simply because one wants to throw nonstop tantrums.
Who's throwing tantrums on here? Certainly not myself, and I really can't think of anybody who has.

If you can remember some, how about some names?