Cowboys blueprint to defeating the Saints, Dallas victory 38-24

JustChip

Reaction score
Seems like a reasonable approach to me.
For the record, I hope the Cowboys find a way to win on Thursday night, I just don't see how it happens against a team that's firing on all cylinders the way the Saints are.

We're on the same page; however, I will say that I don't completely dismiss the possibility of us winning. I think we can, I just don't think it's the more likely of the 2 outcomes.

Game wise, I hope we get to defer receiving until the 2nd half. I'd rather give up a TD on the Saints' first drive and have the rest of the game to make it up than do it on the opening drive of the 2nd half, maybe for them to go up 2 scores, and have less time to make it up.

JustChip

Reaction score
Score, score, score and then score. Wins every time.

Yep, score on every drive and you're in prime position. Unless, of course, it's only field goals being scored. Although, we did beat GB at Texas Stadium in a time long ago 21 to something on 7 field goals.

Beaker42

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a Superbowl caliber defense and the team will send shock waves throughout the NFL with this victory.

The blueprint:
Dallas must dictate the tempo.

TOP- The Saints lost to the Bucs, the Bucs had the TOP. The Saints almost lost to a stout Baltimore defense and ball control offense. In order for Dallas to win the game they must lead in time-of possession. This can be accomplished by Dallas sticking to the run game and being efficient on third downs. Dallas must methodically march down the field. If Dallas can have 4 seven-minute drives for touchdowns they will dominate the TOP. This will also allow our defense to stay fresh.

Feed Zeke- Dallas must establish the run early by feeding Zeke. He needs at least 30 touches.

Play action pass - Since the addition of Cooper, establishing the run is even more critical. The running games causes opposing defenses to stack the box. The world saw how great Cooper can be off play-action passes.

Dak must not take sacks. Timing passes, and quick outlets will mitigate the sack problem the team has had. Dak can’t afford to lose any yardage against the Saints especially when the team approaches field goal range.

When the offense is around mid-field, this is 4 down territory. Dallas has to stay in manageable down and distance. A 3rd and 2 is the perfect scenario. 4th and 1 is a must. Dallas can’t afford to punt the ball back to Brees

Dak must take deep shots down field early. With that being said, the team can’t be foolish either. The Cowboys can’t be predictable.

Dallas must score points with virtually each possession. When the team plays with a lead, the defense benefits greatly.

Dak must protect the football.

Pressure Brees. When the Cowboys blitz, the CBs must play press-man.

Stay out of Zone as much as possible. I know teams go to zone to rest DBs, I get it. However, Brees is a zone killer. Dallas must be mindful of what Brees can do if Brees dictates coverage.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Gregory must have career games. Brees, just like all QBs, get rattled when sacked, Dallas must him early and often.

Jaylon and “Wolf Hunter” must account for the RBs. Jeff Heath will play a huge role in limiting Kamara.

The defense must create turnovers to win. Dallas must limit the scoring opportunities that Brees has.

Dallas victory 38-24
Win TOP, feed Zeke, and let our D do it’s thing like we have been. One change I see coming is blitzing Brees. We haven’t done it much this season because we haven’t had to. We need Gregory and Tank to be electric. Randy is becoming my 5th-fave D player after Tank, LVE, Jaylon and BJ.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're on the same page; however, I will say that I don't completely dismiss the possibility of us winning. I think we can, I just don't think it's the more likely of the 2 outcomes.

Game wise, I hope we get to defer receiving until the 2nd half. I'd rather give up a TD on the Saints' first drive and have the rest of the game to make it up than do it on the opening drive of the 2nd half, maybe for them to go up 2 scores, and have less time to make it up.

I've already given the Cowboys "no chance" once this year (at Philly) and ended up being totally wrong about it. I'm not going to repeat the mistake again. I just don't give them a good chance of beating the team playing what I feel is the best football in the league right now.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I've already given the Cowboys "no chance" once this year (at Philly) and ended up being totally wrong about it. I'm not going to repeat the mistake again. I just don't give them a good chance of beating the team playing what I feel is the best football in the league right now.
You really think that the Saints have a chance? SMH.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I appreciate your optimism but don't share it. Too many perfect scenarios being stacked together here, tied up with hope.

That's what they said in 2009 when an undefeated saints team rolled into town hot...and left with their tail between their legs defeated.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think the key may be how good our defense plays in the red zone.
If they can hold NO to fg's and maybe a stop on 4th down, or get a TO , it could be the difference in the game.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That's what they said in 2009 when an undefeated saints team rolled into town hot...and left with their tail between their legs defeated.
Actually, I think that ‘09 game was at New Orleans... which is way harder to do. The Saints play much better in their dome.

This game being in Dallas is one of the reasons that I think the Cowboys can actually win. They are a different team on the road. Still very good... but it won’t become a feeding frenzy like it does in the super dome.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have a Superbowl caliber defense and the team will send shock waves throughout the NFL with this victory.

The blueprint:
Dallas must dictate the tempo.

TOP- The Saints lost to the Bucs, the Bucs had the TOP. The Saints almost lost to a stout Baltimore defense and ball control offense. In order for Dallas to win the game they must lead in time-of possession. This can be accomplished by Dallas sticking to the run game and being efficient on third downs. Dallas must methodically march down the field. If Dallas can have 4 seven-minute drives for touchdowns they will dominate the TOP. This will also allow our defense to stay fresh.

Feed Zeke- Dallas must establish the run early by feeding Zeke. He needs at least 30 touches.

Play action pass - Since the addition of Cooper, establishing the run is even more critical. The running games causes opposing defenses to stack the box. The world saw how great Cooper can be off play-action passes.

Dak must not take sacks. Timing passes, and quick outlets will mitigate the sack problem the team has had. Dak can’t afford to lose any yardage against the Saints especially when the team approaches field goal range.

When the offense is around mid-field, this is 4 down territory. Dallas has to stay in manageable down and distance. A 3rd and 2 is the perfect scenario. 4th and 1 is a must. Dallas can’t afford to punt the ball back to Brees

Dak must take deep shots down field early. With that being said, the team can’t be foolish either. The Cowboys can’t be predictable.

Dallas must score points with virtually each possession. When the team plays with a lead, the defense benefits greatly.

Dak must protect the football.

Pressure Brees. When the Cowboys blitz, the CBs must play press-man.

Stay out of Zone as much as possible. I know teams go to zone to rest DBs, I get it. However, Brees is a zone killer. Dallas must be mindful of what Brees can do if Brees dictates coverage.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Gregory must have career games. Brees, just like all QBs, get rattled when sacked, Dallas must him early and often.

Jaylon and “Wolf Hunter” must account for the RBs. Jeff Heath will play a huge role in limiting Kamara.

The defense must create turnovers to win. Dallas must limit the scoring opportunities that Brees has.

Dallas victory 38-24

Cowboys must have:
Good pass blocking. Dak wins most games when the pass blocking is good.

Get TDs instead of Field Goals.

Pressure Brees.

Avoid failed plays due to scheme issues (example: LB Wilson on TE Vernon Davis was lost due to a scheme match-up problem).

Win the turnover battle.

Avoid the killer penalties, especially the ones that cause big gains to be nullified.

In regards to your suggestions:
The Cowboys don't play much pure man coverage. Even when the outside CBs play press, it's usually not pure man coverage. When the outside CBs play the "Richard Sherman" style, it's press then man if the WR goes outside and Zone if the WR goes inside. The other player (not CBs) are playing Zone in that coverage.

They have played a lot of Zone in the 3 game win streak.

During the 3 game win streak, they have played more base (3 LBs) than normal. They've played base against 3 WR set and against pass receiving TEs where they would have played Nickel in the past. I expect more Nickel against the Saints.

They have barely played any Dime during the win streak. I expect more Dime against the Saints.

In regards to Dak taking less sacks. The play calling needs to be better in regards to when slower developing plays are called. The Cowboys offense won't function well if they try to complete avoid slow developing plays but calling them on 1st and goal at the 4 yard line is not good.

Dak has to hold the ball to some extent because the offense is based on giving receivers time to get open. They won't win if Dak always gets rid of the ball quickly but they must do better from a situational standpoint.

A few sacks are likely. Just don't turn the ball over.

Play action is a slow developing play with the QB turning his back to the defense.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys must have:
Good pass blocking. Dak wins most games when the pass blocking is good.

Get TDs instead of Field Goals.

Pressure Brees.

Avoid failed plays due to scheme issues (example: LB Wilson on TE Vernon Davis was lost due to a scheme match-up problem).

Win the turnover battle.

Avoid the killer penalties, especially the ones that cause big gains to be nullified.

In regards to your suggestions:
The Cowboys don't play much pure man coverage. Even when the outside CBs play press, it's usually not pure man coverage. When the outside CBs play the "Richard Sherman" style, it's press then man if the WR goes outside and Zone if the WR goes inside. The other player (not CBs) are playing Zone in that coverage.

They have played a lot of Zone in the 3 game win streak.

During the 3 game win streak, they have played more base (3 LBs) than normal. They've played base against 3 WR set and against pass receiving TEs where they would have played Nickel in the past. I expect more Nickel against the Saints.

They have barely played any Dime during the win streak. I expect more Dime against the Saints.

In regards to Dak taking less sacks. The play calling needs to be better in regards to when slower developing plays are called. The Cowboys offense won't function well if they try to complete avoid slow developing plays but calling them on 1st and goal at the 4 yard line is not good.

Dak has to hold the ball to some extent because the offense is based on giving receivers time to get open. They won't win if Dak always gets rid of the ball quickly but they must do better from a situational standpoint.

A few sacks are likely. Just don't turn the ball over.

Play action is a slow developing play with the QB turning his back to the defense.
Great post, X...establish the run, first. Then, Beat the Saints!:starspin:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This can be accomplished by Dallas sticking to the run game and being efficient on third downs. Dallas must methodically march down the field.

It's the consistency and efficiency that are the hard parts. I can't see our Dak out executing Brees. To win, the defense has to take something from Brees, and the offense has to execute as well as it can.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's the consistency and efficiency that are the hard parts. I can't see our Dak out executing Brees. To win, the defense has to take something from Brees, and the offense has to execute as well as it can.

Hey, make it running game against running game! But finish first...

Angus12

Reaction score
So, we're going to feed Zeke and play ball control, limiting the time Brees will be on the field. Yet you have us scoring 38 pts?

Sounds legit.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So, we're going to feed Zeke and play ball control, limiting the time Brees will be on the field. Yet you have us scoring 38 pts?

Sounds legit.
Sustaining drives requires a lot of 3rd down success and passing is then essential also.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I'm not seeing any examples of that occurring. If anything, I'm seeing people's "fanhood" questioned because they don't see the Cowboys winning. Funny how that works?
I know you are a fan bro. You wouldn't have been around so long with and so active in the forum if you weren't. :thumbup: