Cowboys blueprint to defeating the Saints, Dallas victory 38-24

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Ya'll remember that 3-2 scheme with 5 and 6 DBs Marinelli brought against the Pats a few years ago? Confused the heck out of New England until they adjusted and started using the pick plays in the second half.

With the LB corps we have now, might be something unexpected to throw at them at least for part of the game.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So no actual evidence of what you're claiming, only some butthurt sass? Yeah, that's how that works.

First of all you interjecting your grade school opinion of my post using your usual snark, and now you have become defensive because that is your go to card when all else fails. Please grow up.
Some may find you amusing or witty, but many of us find you quite annoying and full of drivel.

JustChip

Reaction score
Can't compare completely 2 different games. The NFL does not work that way.

Eagles game was at home for them, we played at Philly.

People tend to ignore that. True, good teams win on the road, but there's not doubt home makes a difference.

NO played the Rams at home and it was a close game (tied in the 4th quarter). Rams probably win that game if it's in LA (open stadium with natural turf). NO is definitely a better team than Dallas, or least has a far superior QB (no shot at Dak, just a fact, Jak), but being at home for us will help. Will it help enough? Who knows. Personally, I believe Dallas has to play fairly conservative; the key is not turning the ball over (and that includes no failed 4th down conversions or missed FG since they're essentially turnovers) so the NO offense doesn't get additional chances to score.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
simplest scenario (admittedly unlikely), is we somehow see us some Teddy Bridgewater

would be a great game to get healthy at DT - specifically Irving

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all you interjecting your grade school opinion of my post using your usual snark, and now you have become defensive because that is your go to card when all else fails. Please grow up.

Practice what you preach first junior! You're the guy making false claims about stuff that's not happening and then getting pissy when you're called out for it. That's your problem, not anyone else's. Nobody's "disparaging" anyone here, other than you when challenged on false claims.

Some may find you amusing or witty, but many of us find you quite annoying and full of drivel.

There's no "us", you're alone. You don't speak for anyone else. And you obviously don't speak on the truth either. You make crap up and then throw childish fits when you're exposed.

You "grow up".

JustChip

Reaction score
The saints beat the Rams 45-35. The rams who have the best defensive player in the league couldn't slow down Brees.

The Rams may have the best single defensive player, but their overall defense is below league average by almost any metric. Their DBs are poor and their LBs pedestrian.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Saints are basically the Cowboys with an elite QB and 2 Zeke's.

Their defense is much improved since the start of the season. They rank right in the middle of the pack thanks to extremes of ranking near to last in pass defense and 1st in run defense. Both of those extremes on defense are the result of an offense that puts up points so quickly that teams abandon the run and start just throwing it by halftime.

One thing they are terrible at is defending pass-catching running backs. They give up an average of 5.5 catches and 40 yards for 7.5 yards per catch. A back like Zeke could really do some damage against them in the short passing game.

That's the good news. The bad news is that Dallas has been hurt even worse by pass-catching backs (6 for 45 and 7.6) and they have Kamara who is even better in that aspect than Zeke. Then you factor in Ingram and the passing game and you have to wonder just how this defense will stay off its heels.

I really don't see either defense really excelling in this game. Hopefully we can get after Brees with Gregory, Lawrence and Jaylon. Maybe that will give us a shot.

As a Cowboys fan I hope they figure out a way to pull out the W. As a realist I would say the Saints win this contest 7 out of 10 times, so the odds are stacked against us.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Practice what you preach first junior! You're the guy making false claims about stuff that's not happening and then getting pissy when you're called out for it. That's your problem, not anyone else's. Nobody's "disparaging" anyone here, other than you when challenged on false claims.

There's no "us", you're alone. You don't speak for anyone else. And you obviously don't speak on the truth either. You make crap up and then throw childish fits when you're exposed.

You "grow up".

There were no false claims; maybe you do not understand the definition of certain words. Grown men like myself do not instantly result to name calling, or dismissing another's opinion. You find a comfort zone in doing both.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were no false claims; maybe you do not understand the definition of certain words.

I know what "disparaging" means, you need to go and look it up before falsely claiming it's happening.

Grown men like myself do not instantly result to name calling, or dismissing another's opinion. You find a comfort zone in doing both.

Dude, look back, you started all of it. Show some personal accountability before you try to start demanding it out of other people.

You might claim to be a "grown man", but your actions say different.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rams may have the best single defensive player, but their overall defense is below league average by almost any metric. Their DBs are poor and their LBs pedestrian.

And the Cowboys got torn to shreds by Marcus Mariota and the Titans three weeks ago, so there's that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saints are basically the Cowboys with an elite QB and 2 Zeke's.

Their defense is much improved since the start of the season. They rank right in the middle of the pack thanks to extremes of ranking near to last in pass defense and 1st in run defense. Both of those extremes on defense are the result of an offense that puts up points so quickly that teams abandon the run and start just throwing it by halftime.

One thing they are terrible at is defending pass-catching running backs. They give up an average of 5.5 catches and 40 yards for 7.5 yards per catch. A back like Zeke could really do some damage against them in the short passing game.

That's the good news. The bad news is that Dallas has been hurt even worse by pass-catching backs (6 for 45 and 7.6) and they have Kamara who is even better in that aspect than Zeke. Then you factor in Ingram and the passing game and you have to wonder just how this defense will stay off its heels.

I really don't see either defense really excelling in this game. Hopefully we can get after Brees with Gregory, Lawrence and Jaylon. Maybe that will give us a shot.

As a Cowboys fan I hope they figure out a way to pull out the W. As a realist I would say the Saints win this contest 7 out of 10 times, so the odds are stacked against us.

I'd feel better if the Saints were good against the pass and bad against the run. Let's face it, the running game is our biggest, best, most consistent strength. While the passing game has improved with Cooper, it's still not one that's good enough to threaten teams or succeed if the game turns into a shootout.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
The Rams offense is ten times better than the Cowboys, and their running game is every bit as strong. That's why Elliott and Gurley are running neck and neck for the league rushing title. They couldn't slow down the Saints and they have the league's defensive MVP.

Nobody "attempted to get into a shootout". That's simply a false narrative. When you're unable to stop the opposing offense, you try your best to keep up. Nobody ever "plans" for a shootout. You "plan" to score as many points as you can while limiting your opponent to the fewest possible. That's what you "attempt".

Your rams argument is the worse example. Out of any team you use a rams team that looks to purposely axe the run looking for a shootout.

If I remember correctly Gurley ran strong against the cheifs only for the rams to abandon the run game and go for style points. They got bashed for doing so even in a win and mcvay playcalling was questionable.

In that saints game Gurley only received 13 Carrie's. In the cheifs game only 12 against the 2nd worse defense in the league.

Rams could have ball controlled that game from the get go but they didnt.

I find it hard to believe that most teams dont plan for atleast some out of charactor playcalling when you have a team like the saints up next.

Some games dont need to go the way they go.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
If Zeke goes off and the defense plays a perfect game we may win. If the Saints win time of possession we will lose.

We have slim wins over three average teams the past three weeks. This is a whole new ballgame. Dallas will need their best performance this season to win.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your rams argument is the worse example. Out of any team you use a rams team that looks to purposely axe the run looking for a shootout.

Nobody's ever "looking for a shootout". That false narrative will never be accurate.

If I remember correctly Gurley ran strong against the cheifs only for the rams to abandon the run game and go for style points. They got bashed for doing so even in a win and mcvay playcalling was questionable.

In that saints game Gurley only received 13 Carrie's. In the cheifs game only 12 against the 2nd worse defense in the league.

Rams could have ball controlled that game from the get go but they didnt.

I find it hard to believe that most teams dont plan for atleast some out of charactor playcalling when you have a team like the saints up next.

Some games dont need to go the way they go.

You're confusing questionable playcalling with "planning for a shootout".

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a Superbowl caliber defense and the team will send shock waves throughout the NFL with this victory.

The blueprint:
Dallas must dictate the tempo.

TOP- The Saints lost to the Bucs, the Bucs had the TOP. The Saints almost lost to a stout Baltimore defense and ball control offense. In order for Dallas to win the game they must lead in time-of possession. This can be accomplished by Dallas sticking to the run game and being efficient on third downs. Dallas must methodically march down the field. If Dallas can have 4 seven-minute drives for touchdowns they will dominate the TOP. This will also allow our defense to stay fresh.

Feed Zeke- Dallas must establish the run early by feeding Zeke. He needs at least 30 touches.

Play action pass - Since the addition of Cooper, establishing the run is even more critical. The running games causes opposing defenses to stack the box. The world saw how great Cooper can be off play-action passes.

Dak must not take sacks. Timing passes, and quick outlets will mitigate the sack problem the team has had. Dak can’t afford to lose any yardage against the Saints especially when the team approaches field goal range.

When the offense is around mid-field, this is 4 down territory. Dallas has to stay in manageable down and distance. A 3rd and 2 is the perfect scenario. 4th and 1 is a must. Dallas can’t afford to punt the ball back to Brees

Dak must take deep shots down field early. With that being said, the team can’t be foolish either. The Cowboys can’t be predictable.

Dallas must score points with virtually each possession. When the team plays with a lead, the defense benefits greatly.

Dak must protect the football.

Pressure Brees. When the Cowboys blitz, the CBs must play press-man.

Stay out of Zone as much as possible. I know teams go to zone to rest DBs, I get it. However, Brees is a zone killer. Dallas must be mindful of what Brees can do if Brees dictates coverage.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Gregory must have career games. Brees, just like all QBs, get rattled when sacked, Dallas must him early and often.

Jaylon and “Wolf Hunter” must account for the RBs. Jeff Heath will play a huge role in limiting Kamara.

The defense must create turnovers to win. Dallas must limit the scoring opportunities that Brees has.

Dallas victory 38-24
We've scored 38 or more points once. Back in October.

The Saints have scored 24 points or less twice. Last time in October.

Bold prediction.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
More nonsense. Nobody's ever "looking for a shootout". That false narrative will never be accurate.

You're confusing questionable playcalling with "planning for a shootout".

Red bull gave that whole paragraph wings. It flew right over your head.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd feel better if the Saints were good against the pass and bad against the run. Let's face it, the running game is our biggest, best, most consistent strength. While the passing game has improved with Cooper, it's still not one that's good enough to threaten teams or succeed if the game turns into a shootout.
I hear you but the bright side to that is like I mentioned above, that their run defense ranking is skewed heavily by the fact that teams abandon it trying to play catch up to their offense. On the flip side of that, their pass defense is ranked near the bottom of the league due to teams having to throw, throw, throw to keep/catch up. The fact that they are overall ranked 15th is pretty much right where they should be.

Short version: Their run defense isn't the 2000 Ravens and their pass defense isn't the 2013 Cowboys either. Zeke can have success in this game, but he's going to need to hit that 200 yards from scrimmage in all likelihood if we are going to have a chance.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know what "disparaging" means, you need to go and look it up before falsely claiming it's happening.

Dude, look back, you started all of it. Show some personal accountability before you try to start demanding it out of other people.

You might claim to be a "grown man", but your actions say different.

To belittle someones opinion is a good example of the word. I only explained why I said what I said. I demand nothing of someone that I cannot produce myself. The topic of the post was the Cowboys having a chance against the Saints, and I still believe they have a chance. It is not based on what I see from the Saints, it is what I see from the Cowboys. Dallas does have the ability to score at a quicker rate than they have shown. It is up to Dak, and his ability to process what he sees on the field versus what plays the OC is instructing him to run. The defense can be better if there is a consistent push up the middle, and the DB's play the receiver, but keep an eye out for the ball. The LB's must keep an eye out for all backs trickling out of the backfield since Brees is not that big of a threat to run the ball. Special teams is woeful and there seems to be no change in the near future.