Cowboys Break 5/1 (Interesting Nugget On SS Donovan Wilson)

speedkilz88

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/...each-pick-fits

Biggest nuggett (50:00):

Donovan Wilson

Nick: Kavon Frazier, that's what he looks like to me. Big guy..

Broaddus: I broke down a play today for the show. He's playing in the middle of the field and they run a route inside. He reads the slant all the way. He drives with really an off hand play, I think gosh if he can come in here and do that.

Helman: Didn't you say that coverage is really not his strong suit?

Broaddus: No and that's something but when the scouts use the term click and close, is when they backpedal and they hit and go. He's got that ability though to come forward. When you talk to the scouts about him they are like, they think they stole one. Chris Hall....

Helman: Chris Hall was in this seat and said that was his pet cat from this class. Will McClay is coming in tomorrow, he did an interview with Calvin Watkins of the athletic and said this guy has Kam Chancellor like traits.

Nick: What?

Broaddus: (sarcastically) Alvin Kamara, Kam Chancellor, Super Bowl for the Cowboys...get ready.

Helman: I saw Will on the training table. I asked do I have this right, I don't want to say this if it's not what you meant. And he's like no that's what I meant. He's saying I'm not saying the kids Chancellor. I'm saying he's got those type of traits. And I'm like, you realize that you're the one who runs the draft board and when you say that, it carries a lot of weight. And he's like sue me basically. That's just how I feel. And I'm like ok man. Just telling you you're comparing this kid to Kam Chancellor. I have on good authority that Kris Richard was handing out bear hugs in the war room when this kid got picked. So again this is the time of year for crazy optimism. I'm not telling you should believe things that are coming out of these peoples' mouths really but that's how they feel.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like Richard really liked Wilson, but had to be patient and wait for the draft to come to them and not reach for him.
Props to the FO if this was the case.

visionary

Reaction score

Donovan Wilson

Broaddus: I broke down a play today for the show. He's playing in the middle of the field and they run a route inside. He reads the slant all the way. He drives with really an off hand play, I think gosh if he can come in here and do that.

Broaddus: No and that's something but when the scouts use the term click and close, is when they backpedal and they hit and go. He's got that ability though to come forward. When you talk to the scouts about him they are like, they think they stole one. Chris Hall....

Helman: Chris Hall was in this seat and said that was his pet cat from this class. Will McClay is coming in tomorrow, he did an interview with Calvin Watkins of the athletic and said this guy has Kam Chancellor like traits.

Broaddus: (sarcastically) Alvin Kamara, Kam Chancellor, Super Bowl for the Cowboys...get ready.

Helman: I saw Will on the training table. I asked do I have this right, I don't want to say this if it's not what you meant. And he's like no that's what I meant. He's saying I'm not saying the kids Chancellor. I'm saying he's got those type of traits. And I'm like, you realize that you're the one who runs the draft board and when you say that, it carries a lot of weight. And he's like sue me basically. That's just how I feel. And I'm like ok man. Just telling you you're comparing this kid to Kam Chancellor. I have on good authority that Kris Richard was handing out bear hugs in the war room when this kid got picked. So again this is the time of year for crazy optimism. I'm not telling you should believe things that are coming out of these peoples' mouths really but that's how they feel.

Alvin Kamara AND Cam Chancellor
Wow
This is some draft

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
and he's like no that's what I meant. He's saying I'm not saying the kids Chancellor. I'm saying he's got those type of traits. And I'm like, you realize that you're the one who runs the draft board and when you say that, it carries a lot of weight. And he's like sue me basically. That's just how I feel. And I'm like ok man. Just telling you you're comparing this kid to Kam Chancellor.
It is name dropping in the hopes to impress the masses. To backpedal and say that it isn't is completely dishonest.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

Donovan Wilson

Just talked with a colleague who used to be a trainer at A&M. The prediction joke among aggies is, "In which quarter will Wilson be ejected?"

He's a headhunter for sure, but nearly 80% of passes against him were completed -- let's hope for little or no gain.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I saw the same thing.

The guy looks great going forward. Above average.

He just didn't look that good in coverage. Not saying he looks bad in coverage it's just not a strength.

There is some potential there though. Special Teams ace for sure.

Sydla

Reaction score
Then leave Chancellor's name out of it and just stick to describing the traits.

They seemingly love to make comparisons.......... such as the Pollard - Kamara comparison laid on us earlier this week.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Then leave Chancellor's name out of it and just stick to describing the traits.

Why? It's common practice to provide an NFL comp for draft prospects, even after providing a detailed description of their traits. It helps the 'masses' conceptualize the traits being described. Of course, when you drop a name like Cam Chancellor that also tends to increase hype. But that's also part of the enterprise here: selling the team to the masses. Nothing wrong with it, unless he was outright lying. We'll find out soon enough whether it looks like he was.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They seemingly love to make comparisons.......... such as the Pollard - Kamara comparison laid on us earlier this week.
At least Stephen Jones added in the "poor-man's" tag. That is a little more genuine at least.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Donovan's our new Sunshine Superman. I suppose.

Well, need one of these to counter the 3 whipping boys. :laugh:

But understand, there is always a late round draft pick or UDFA fans get hyped up on and have them in the HOF before the pads come on.
Not saying this is the case, as it is far from it. No one is to that point yet.

But it was Darius Jackson, then Bo Scarborough. So who will it be this year. I was not on either bandwagon and said both are PS guys at best at the time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for posting.

Comparing rookies to successful established players is inevitable. They aren’t saying they got Cam Chancellor. They’re saying that’s his upside if he works out. Cool. Whatever.

This guys draft day call put me in his corner. Hope he gives us something on Teams and gets a roster spot. Replacing Frazier is a win right now.

reddyuta

Reaction score
He played way too deep in some clips watched and too bad angles and wiffed repeatedly,hopefully they try him closer to the LOS.

morasp

Reaction score
Rod studies film with new players and tells them that's who he thinks they can be like.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Donovan Wilson

Actually preferred Chancelor to ET. Dude was a hitter and one of the reasons the "legion of boom" really boomed

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Scheme fit has a lot to do with safeties. How talented the other 10 players are on defense has a lot to do with safeties.

1. Name all the the elite stud safeties you know in the past 15 years.
A. How much of those years that they were dominant had to do with the dline, lbs, and corners?
B. If you put that elite safety on a horrible defense, will the defense move to the top of the league?

The name safety implies that they are the last line of defense. For the most part, when a play gets to them, there was a failure somewhere else. I know that is not a completely true statement, but you don't hear much about safeties, unless they are the very rare elite ones who play with 10 other elite players.

Get your minds off of safety. This defense will still be top of the league