Cowboys Break 5/1 (Interesting Nugget On SS Donovan Wilson)

Mr_437

Reaction score
I guess some people are slow. Media dudes are ridiculous, knowing d a m well what McClay means.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Actually preferred Chancelor to ET. Dude was a hitter and one of the reasons the "legion of boom" really boomed
Chancellor was only able to be who he was because of ET and Sherman, plus, they were good at getting to the QB.

He was about the 5th-most important person on those teams, if I'm being generous, even though he made a lot of noise.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/...each-pick-fits

Biggest nuggett (50:00):

Donovan Wilson

Nick: Kavon Frazier, that's what he looks like to me. Big guy..

Broaddus: I broke down a play today for the show. He's playing in the middle of the field and they run a route inside. He reads the slant all the way. He drives with really an off hand play, I think gosh if he can come in here and do that.

Helman: Didn't you say that coverage is really not his strong suit?

Broaddus: No and that's something but when the scouts use the term click and close, is when they backpedal and they hit and go. He's got that ability though to come forward. When you talk to the scouts about him they are like, they think they stole one. Chris Hall....

Helman: Chris Hall was in this seat and said that was his pet cat from this class. Will McClay is coming in tomorrow, he did an interview with Calvin Watkins of the athletic and said this guy has Kam Chancellor like traits.

Nick: What?

Broaddus: (sarcastically) Alvin Kamara, Kam Chancellor, Super Bowl for the Cowboys...get ready.

Helman: I saw Will on the training table. I asked do I have this right, I don't want to say this if it's not what you meant. And he's like no that's what I meant. He's saying I'm not saying the kids Chancellor. I'm saying he's got those type of traits. And I'm like, you realize that you're the one who runs the draft board and when you say that, it carries a lot of weight. And he's like sue me basically. That's just how I feel. And I'm like ok man. Just telling you you're comparing this kid to Kam Chancellor. I have on good authority that Kris Richard was handing out bear hugs in the war room when this kid got picked. So again this is the time of year for crazy optimism. I'm not telling you should believe things that are coming out of these peoples' mouths really but that's how they feel.

interesting....I read somewhere they were looking for a box safety to play closer to the LOS, so if this is true, it makes sense. Also Richard is not stupid. he knows what a strong DL did for his secondary in Seattle.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well, need one of these to counter the 3 whipping boys. :laugh:

But understand, there is always a late round draft pick or UDFA fans get hyped up on and have them in the HOF before the pads come on.
Not saying this is the case, as it is far from it. No one is to that point yet.

But it was Darius Jackson, then Bo Scarborough. So who will it be this year. I was not on either bandwagon and said both are PS guys at best at the time.

I never understood the Bo pick. That was a whiff from the moment the card was turned in.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Gotta be honest here, I never really loved Chancellor. To me, he was a less talented Roy Williams. Now, we all know about Roy. Bottom line, Chancellor worked because of ET. If you have another Chancellor, that's great but it only works if you also have another ET. Do we have one of those?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gotta be honest here, I never really loved Chancellor. To me, he was a less talented Roy Williams. Now, we all know about Roy. Bottom line, Chancellor worked because of ET. If you have another Chancellor, that's great but it only works if you also have another ET. Do we have one of those?

The Seattle secondary worked because of Thomas. A true single high FS transforms a defense. It's what makes a Richard secondary really go. You can have big, long, strong guys play underneath if they're truly protected over the top. If your FS can't deliver that protection, you're going to get burnt over the top too often.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Seattle secondary worked because of Thomas. A true single high FS transforms a defense. It's what makes a Richard secondary really go. You can have big, long, strong guys play underneath if they're truly protected over the top. If your FS can't deliver that protection, you're going to get burnt over the top too often.

I agree. The only way those guys really work is if they can play down hill. Big physical DBs playing down hill is formidable. However, you gotta be able to have a FS that can pretty much do it all. Get to all deep sectors, actually cover, make plays on the ball, make INTs and be a strong solid tackler. If you don't have that, you got a bunch of guys getting juked while trying to be head hunters.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
I'm rooting for the kid (and all of our draft picks) - who wouldn't be as a fan?

I'm intrigued by both McClay and Hall seeming to think this is one pick to keep an eye on.

But to temper my enthusiasm, I can think of two names that carried an equal amount of optimism at this point after the draft, and still make me wince: Justin Beriault and Matt Johnson.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm rooting for the kid (and all of our draft picks) - who wouldn't be as a fan?

I'm intrigued by both McClay and Hall seeming to think this is one pick to keep an eye on.

But to temper my enthusiasm, I can think of two names that carried an equal amount of optimism at this point after the draft, and still make me wince: Justin Beriault and Matt Johnson.
Both those players had injury issues.

visionary

Reaction score
Last year people in the org said Urlacher (LVE) and Dez lite (Gallup) people laughed.

This makes total sense because LVE and Gallup were 4th and 6th round picks respectively

I guess it's too much to ask to expect people to think before they post

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I saw the same thing.

The guy looks great going forward. Above average.

He just didn't look that good in coverage. Not saying he looks bad in coverage it's just not a strength.

There is some potential there though. Special Teams ace for sure.

Even if he's able to just replace Frazier as a STs ace/emergency base D Safety, that's good for a 6th round draft pick.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This makes total sense because LVE and Gallup were 4th and 6th round picks respectively

I guess it's too much to ask to expect people to think before they post
You guess? Lol...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Why? It's common practice to provide an NFL comp for draft prospects, even after providing a detailed description of their traits. It helps the 'masses' conceptualize the traits being described. Of course, when you drop a name like Cam Chancellor that also tends to increase hype. But that's also part of the enterprise here: selling the team to the masses. Nothing wrong with it, unless he was outright lying. We'll find out soon enough whether it looks like he was.
Ya,really,,,you'll fondly recall it was ol' @Alexander hisself calling the #55 ,,,Carpenter 2.0,,,after last years draft, :rolleyes: