Cowboys bring in a possible draft target WR for a visit

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The Cowboys have brought in WR Cortland Sutton for a visit. Might be our pick at #19. Sutton has also visited the Eagles and Bears.

Doesn't get much separation. Playing speed isn't fast. not much burst at the second or third level, good CB's contest his catches, relies on body type and coasts in routes. Sounds like someone we used to know :). Not at 19, 50 maybe. Hopefully not. Dezzie II without the 'tude

glimmerman

Reaction score
I see us taking WR in second. Maybe 3rd. Our FO don’t seem very worried about our WR situation and not many rookie WR make a immediate impact there rookie year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Doesn't get much separation. Playing speed isn't fast. not much burst at the second or third level, good CB's contest his catches, relies on body type and coasts in routes. Sounds like someone we used to know :). Not at 19, 50 maybe. Hopefully not. Dezzie II without the 'tude
I agree but he is one helluva redzone monster. I still prefer Anthony Miller or Moore though.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I want defense but I fear it's going to be a WR.

I want defense in the first.

That being said I wouldn’t be mad if they took Ridley or Moore in the first. Both WR’s are worth a first round pick.

Sutton is not worth a first round pick IMO. He is also raw and doesn’t know how to run routes yet. He isn’t ready to start in the NFL. It would be brutal to spend a first on him when the cowboys need starters at multiple positions still.

Carson

Reaction score
I agree but he is one helluva redzone monster. I still prefer Anthony Miller or Moore though.

Where I agree he is a red zone monster, we’ve had problem utilizing red zone monster guys in the past. Outside of Dez it’s been pretty bleak

Carson

Reaction score
I want defense in the first.

That being said I wouldn’t be mad if they took Ridley or Moore in the first. Both WR’s are worth a first round pick.

Sutton is not worth a first round pick IMO. He is also raw and doesn’t know how to run routes yet. He isn’t ready to start in the NFL. It would be brutal to spend a first on him when the cowboys need starters at multiple positions still.

I agree. He’s big, slow, decent hands. Watching him I’m not overly impressed. Pretty much all his plays are just being bigger than inferior competition. When he played better teams, his play declined

Second round? Or trade down and get? Hell yes. 19? No

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Yep Ridley and Moore are the only 2 who come in and make any type of impact on day 1. Ridley may be around at 19 but doubtfull. Trade down for Moore maybe. Is he worthy of a #19 pick. I don't watch that much tape. Ridley seems to be the only one worthy of a pick at 19. Not impressed with this WR class especially on day 1

KLJ

Reaction score
dj moore. he would fit in perfect in this offense. they need some speed..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It all depends on what you want in another WR.
Ridley runs great routes, but has flaws. Is he that different from some of the receivers we have?
Was D.J. Moore a big time performer against good competition? Is Anthony Miller another slot receiver?

If the choice is Sutton, it will likely because he brings the physical mismatch they want as a possession receiver and in the red zone. It’s sort of like the RB discussion. Do we want the best RB available who can be the main guy, or do we want a 3rd down, change of pace back?

It’s not always just about the highest ranked guy by the media. It’s who best fits what each team is looking for. I think we are doing our work on guys that could be there as a trade down option.

cowboyec

Reaction score
just a what if.

they make a trade for Earl Thomas with pick 50...@19 draft Sutton.
get OG Braden Smith or LB Fred Warner in the 3rd.

dont think many would have a problem with Sutton in the 1st.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yep Ridley and Moore are the only 2 who come in and make any type of impact on day 1. Ridley may be around at 19 but doubtfull. Trade down for Moore maybe. Is he worthy of a #19 pick. I don't watch that much tape. Ridley seems to be the only one worthy of a pick at 19. Not impressed with this WR class especially on day 1
Trade down. yes please.

Rayman70

Reaction score
just a what if.

they make a trade for Earl Thomas with pick 50...@19 draft Sutton.
get OG Braden Smith or LB Fred Warner in the 3rd.

dont think many would have a problem with Sutton in the 1st.
Hmm..not bad. Way to think logically. I may like that ok.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
if he lasts...dont think he'll get past philly at 32.

if they trade their 2nd Rd pick to seattle for Earl Thomas.....I could see why they take Courtland Sutton @19.
That was what I thought about when I saw the visit and Sutton being a possible 2nd rounder.

We could potentially trade back in the first and maybe secure a 2nd and still grab him.

Last edited: