Cowboys cap situation

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Can’t look at the cap in one year increments - 2024 we have $95 million in available cap space. In other words we aren’t in cap trouble. But Stephen will use it as an excuse!

Proof

Reaction score
The Giants are $41 million under the CAP with 51 players signed and the rookie pool accounted for. and they are not afraid to go out and get top tier free agents. They know what they need to do to catch the Eagles and they will do it.

I expect them to be aggressive and get some quality receivers in the offseason, and possibly some interior offensive linemen. Don't be surprised if they make a play for LVE.
we've yet to see what the giants are afraid to do or not do under their new leadership. they had opportunities at the deadline to pursue much needed wr's and stood pat. i'm waiting to see what they do personally.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The hue and cry is if player X wasn't making so much the team would have money to go get top flight players in the free agent market.

But when has Jethro and Little Anus ever used the money they had to get the top guys? That is not in their character. For some reason Jerry thinks if he gets a guy on a contract that doesn't pay much, if that guy shows out, it makes Jerry look like a genius. All I can think of is what would the Dallas defense look like with Suh in the middle and Von MIller on the edge? There was plenty of money to make that happen, but, "We like our guys."

The battle lines are drawn about players getting raises. The thread that called Dak selfish is a microcosm of what is wrong with the fans.

If you frame your opinion on a player solely on his salary, then you have to acknowledge the Jones' will not spend that money to improve the team. Excuses will fly. Even though the Eagles have reloaded a second time and are headed to the Super Bowl as the Jones continues to shop at the Wall of Marts for players who do not deliver.

Open your eyes to what really happens in the front office and not genuflect to the salary demands of players who have been here.

The problem was, is, and always will be the Jones who have operated this team, and would have been fired from any other franchise if it weren't for the fact they are the owners of this team and that protects them from performance appraisals. Fan dissatisfaction won't budge these guys until that temperament ends up having empty seats, and seat bonds not being bought at any price.

I think the old saying is, the fans here spend their time rearranging the deck chairs as the Titanic sinks.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The hue and cry is if player X wasn't making so much the team would have money to go get top flight players in the free agent market.

But when has Jethro and Little Anus ever used the money they had to get the top guys? That is not in their character. For some reason Jerry thinks if he gets a guy on a contract that doesn't pay much, if that guy shows out, it makes Jerry look like a genius. All I can think of is what would the Dallas defense look like with Suh in the middle and Von MIller on the edge? There was plenty of money to make that happen, but, "We like our guys."

The battle lines are drawn about players getting raises. The thread that called Dak selfish is a microcosm of what is wrong with the fans.

If you frame your opinion on a player solely on his salary, then you have to acknowledge the Jones' will not spend that money to improve the team. Excuses will fly. Even though the Eagles have reloaded a second time and are headed to the Super Bowl as the Jones continues to shop at the Wall of Marts for players who do not deliver.

Open your eyes to what really happens in the front office and not genuflect to the salary demands of players who have been here.

The problem was, is, and always will be the Jones who have operated this team, and would have been fired from any other franchise if it weren't for the fact they are the owners of this team and that protects them from performance appraisals. Fan dissatisfaction won't budge these guys until that temperament ends up having empty seats, and seat bonds not being bought at any price.

I think the old saying is, the fans here spend their time rearranging the deck chairs as the Titanic sinks.
I'm old enough to remember when the Cowboys still spent big and ended up getting nowhere too. They paid big dollars in the past for guys like Rocket Ismail, La'Roi Glover, Anthony Henry, Marco Rivera, Terrell Owens, Brandon Carr, Greg Hardy, etc. By 2016 they started over-relying on the draft and went dumpster diving in free agency instead.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when the Cowboys still spent big and ended up getting nowhere too. They paid big dollars in the past for guys like Rocket Ismail, La'Roi Glover, Anthony Henry, Marco Rivera, Terrell Owens, Brandon Carr, Greg Hardy, etc. By 2016 they started over-relying on the draft and went dumpster diving in free agency instead.
It's like they went from one extreme to the other unable to actually balance the draft and free agency.

lostar2009

Reaction score
As much as, Cap Boy talks about the cap and saving cap dollars...why the hell is he always over? Get a real GM in Dallas and stop the charade of either Jones being a GM.

No Real GMs go on vacation at the start of FA, just be owners to stop playing make believe cause everyone knows they don't really do any football work.
Maybe it was a hint to us fans we broke :laugh:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
It's like they went from one extreme to the other unable to actually balance the draft and free agency.
The fact they didn't even try last year bothers me still. Yes, they went 12-5 and won a wild card game. Woo-hoo. The Eagles upgraded their team from the onset of free agency right through the trade deadline and look where they are.

StylisticS

Reaction score
The fact they didn't even try last year bothers me still. Yes, they went 12-5 and won a wild card game. Woo-hoo. The Eagles upgraded their team from the onset of free agency right through the trade deadline and look where they are.
I'd like for them to explain why they are so strict on spending money on free agents and why they go bargain hunting for free agents. In other words, what is their actual plan and why are they so reactionary and cheap?

StylisticS

Reaction score
That is what you get when you have Dumb and Dumber running your team
I wonder if they actually realize that a growing number of people are on to them being the main problem. Well I wonder if they actually care.

Creeper

Reaction score
Even if they sign those 2 the cap hits will not be the numbers you presented but structured in a way to allow the Giants to bring in some quality free agents. The fact of the matter is the Eagles, Giants, and Washington have shown signs of catching Dallas in terms of talent....and this season will be even more competitive.

Dallas 2023 opponents: Giants (x2), Eagles (x2), Washington (x2), Lions, Rams, Patriots, Jets, Seahawks, Cardinals, Bills, Panthers, Chargers, Dolphins, 49ers

Do not expect another 12-5 season in 2023 with that schedule....lucky if double digits.
If Barkley re-sign with the Giants, the Cowboys are going to be embarrassed even more by the Zeke deal. I seriously doubt the Giants will give Barkley the same money Dallas gave Zeke, and it would not shock me if Daniel Jones signs for a number closer to $30 million.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'd like for them to explain why they are so strict on spending money on free agents and why they go bargain hunting for free agents. In other words, what is their actual plan and why are they so reactionary and cheap?
I would like that too. I honestly think they want to look smarter than everyone else and go only with players they drafted. That's probably why they traded Amari Cooper for next to nothing, he was a Raiders draft pick. I don't know if the Jones' narcissism is the only reason but it wouldn't surprise me.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If Barkley re-sign with the Giants, the Cowboys are going to be embarrassed even more by the Zeke deal. I seriously doubt the Giants will give Barkley the same money Dallas gave Zeke, and it would not shock me if Daniel Jones signs for a number closer to $30 million.
Jones had a career year and if the Giants low-ball him like that another team (Colts??) will scoop him up for more money. As for Barkley, his injury history will drive down his value so I think that will lead to a deal with a lot of performance-based and games played incentives built in.

tm1119

Reaction score
Isn’t the plan obvious? Keep spending down and laugh all the way to the bank off of the brand name that is the Dallas Cowboys. The Jones’ are great businessmen, but horrific at building a SB contending team…and they don’t care.

I wish a reporter would ask Jerry/Stephen the direct question of: How are the Dallas Cowboys the most valuable sports franchise in North America, but continuously bottom 1/2 of the league in spending $ on players?

Would love to hear that response

exciter

Reaction score
You really think JJ will cut him. Not up to MM or anyone else. He restructures and takes a pay cut he will be kept. Pollard will be here too and I have a feeling we draft a stud..
Cut Emmit, cut Troy, cut Dez!

Gaede

Reaction score
This is literally the only ammo Stephen needs to justify doing jack **** during free agency once again