Cowboys Cap Space for 2021

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Where did the idea of a contract for less than 3 years come from? How do we know how Dak's contract would be structured - for example, it could be structured to have a bigger cap hit in 2020 and less in subsequent years - or how do we know he wouldn't restructure along the way to space out the cap hit over several more years? And, still a lot of other things could happen before 2023.

I mention three years as Dak has stated (or rumored) that he wants to be a FA around 2024 when the new financial deal is made?

Therefore anything less than 4 years and Dak wont sign....as he'll earn an aav of $41m by accepting the CAP..... and we cant afford a 3 year deal averaging $41m without seriously restructuring already bad contracts and not signing any decent Free Agents to replace the players mentioned in the OP.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Idk why everyone is attacking him. It doesn't appear we have much in the way of CAP next season as of right now. There aren't too many obvious cuts outside of Crawford, Jones, and Zeke.

I few things I will tell you. We will hopefully get a long term deal with Dak done soon, which will lower his CAP this season and carry forward more CAP into next season.

We don't have any PROJECTED high price free agents coming up next seasons(though it would be nice to extend X Woods right now).

We might be looking at trades and draft picks as our source of acquiring talent next season.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So you are talking about replace backup linebackers? Who cares? Young guys and cheap veterans. Are you really worrying about it?

Replacing Dalton is about the only thing we may need to do. Maybe he resigns.

Gregory could be the answer or Aldon could be the answer. Not sure what is to panic about. If neither work out then we use a high pick or sign one in FA.

A starting LB to replace Lee, cover for LVE and hoping that Gifford develops
Dalton signs for how much?
Gregory - his money isnt included atm ....so add that on.
Smith - if he plays as before his ban is he really resigning for $2m.

And then you say If neither work out then we use a high pick or sign one in FA.

What have we just been talking about - we dont have the money to sign FA's (stop throwing away empty comments) ......sorry I forgot you're a WELL-KNOWN MEMBER.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Idk why everyone is attacking him. It doesn't appear we have much in the way of CAP next season as of right now. There aren't too many obvious cuts outside of Crawford, Jones, and Zeke.

I few things I will tell you. We will hopefully get a long term deal with Dak done soon, which will lower his CAP this season and carry forward more CAP into next season.

We don't have any PROJECTED high price free agents coming up next seasons(though it would be nice to extend X Woods right now).

We might be looking at trades and draft picks as our source of acquiring talent next season.

Thank you,

Sense at last.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Looking for some clarity on roughly how much we have available to spend in 2021.

I'm new to NFL finances, but cannot accept some posts that say that "we dont know"....every business has an an idea.

Using OVER THE CAP, this is what I think we've got (will have):

1) 2020 - we've under spent by $11.25m which can be carried over to 2021.

2) The CAP is calculated each March, based on 48% of certain NFL revenues.

3) Before the virus hit, OVER THE CAP calculated that there would be an increase of $17m in 2021 to $215m

4) Using these pre virus calculations, we only have $36m (plus whatever's carried over of the 2020 $11m).

5) Whilst some positions can possibly be filled in the draft, we are lacking:
- 2 Safeties
- 3 LB's (hoping Gifford develops)
- 2 CB's
-1 Center
- 2 DE's
-2 QB's

All out of the $47m........is that basically correct?

I appreciate the following but is it wishful thinking?
- Extend but aging contracts (Martin / Smith) until they're in the late 30,s
- Restructure bad contracts (guaranteeing money to DLaw/Zeke and Coops)
- Release bad contracts - cant happen in 2021 .... the cheapest would be Zeke (Dead Money = $13m)
- Deferred contracts to FA's - BUT ..... limited CAP Space (with increases) 2022 = $54m and 2023 = $84m (last in the NFL)
Only thing I know is that it's going to be a very interesting off-season next year for all teams.
Cowboys might have to do some monetary gymnastics to keep the steam in the engine.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mention three years as Dak has stated (or rumored) that he wants to be a FA around 2024 when the new financial deal is made?

Therefore anything less than 4 years and Dak wont sign....as he'll earn an aav of $41m by accepting the CAP..... and we cant afford a 3 year deal averaging $41m without seriously restructuring already bad contracts and not signing any decent Free Agents to replace the players mentioned in the OP.
If he signs this year it would be a 4 year deal for him to become a free agent in 2024, not 3.

And where did you come up with an average of $41/ year? I agree there has been reporting (reporting, not what Dak stated, as you said above) that he wants a 4 year deal, but not at $41 million average - that just seems to be your number.

And you still aren't considering structure. You do realize the average is not the same as how the cap hit is distributed don't you? For example, the signing bonus could be structured to be all up front or spread over the life of the contract to make the cap hit more or less in certain years depending on what may help the team.

You also are ignoring that Dak could restructure. Just because the deal is 4 years doesn't mean Dak couldn't agree to a restructure at some point that would allow the cap hit to be spread over more than 4 years. It's not uncommon for that to happen. Romo did it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If he signs this year it would be a 4 year deal for him to become a free agent in 2024, not 3.

And where did you come up with an average of $41/ year? I agree there has been reporting (reporting, not what Dak stated, as you said above) that he wants a 4 year deal, but not at $41 million average - that just seems to be your number.

And you still aren't considering structure. You do realize the average is not the same as how the cap hit is distributed don't you? For example, the signing bonus could be structured to be all up front or spread over the life of the contract to make the cap hit more or less in certain years depending on what may help the team.

You also are ignoring that Dak could restructure. Just because the deal is 4 years doesn't mean Dak couldn't agree to a restructure at some point that would allow the cap hit to be spread over more than 4 years. It's not uncommon for that to happen. Romo did it.

$41m because that's what his TAG would average out to over the 3 years.

If he signs for 4 years, the fourth year would need to be $41m or more.....there's no incentive to sign for less.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$41m because that's what his TAG would average out to over the 3 years.

If he signs for 4 years, the fourth year would need to be $41m or more.....there's no incentive to sign for less.

That's an estimation of what the tag will average, and where was there ever any report that he was married to the tag amount anyway? Again, this is something you made up.

As for incentive, to sign for something less tan the estimated tag, the obvious reason is that waiting on the tag every year carries no guarantees or assurances beyond one year. There is no guarantee to get tagged and paid at all in subsequent years if he gets hurt, or to be tagged if he has a down year. No up front signing bonus, or assurance of what will happen year to year. No certainty the team won't look for a replacement. No commitment from the team beyond 1 year. The guarantees and assurances of a longer term deal have value.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's an estimation of what the tag will average, and where was there ever any report that he was married to the tag amount anyway? Again, this is something you made up.

I assume you will ask why he would sign for less than the tag amount, and the obvious reason is that waiting on the tag every year carries no guarantees. There is no guarantee if he gets hurt or has a down year or up front signing bonus, or assurance of what will happen year to year. No certainty the team won't look for a replacement. No commitment from the team beyond 1 year. The guarantees and assurances of a longer term deal have value.

Wrong, it's not an estimation at all, it's set at 120% and then 140% = $54m in 2022.

If we dont offer it in 2022, he's free to negotiate that massive contract.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong, it's not an estimation at all, it's set at 120% and then 140% = $54m in 2022.

If we dont offer it in 2022, he's free to negotiate that massive contract.

Unless I'm unaware of a change, the non-exclusive tag pays an average of the top 5 salaries. We don't know what that will be yet.

And, again, there are a lot of guarantees and assurances with a longer term deal that don't come with merely assuming you get the non-exclusive franchise tag to play on every year, so it's wrong to say Dak has no incentive to sign a deal at less than the non-exclusive franchise tag.

Plus, there are other tag designations the team could use that would pay less.

As for him being free to negotiate a massive contract if the Cowboys don't offer it, that is not a response to what I wrote. Again, with that plan there are unknowns like injury or a down year that aren't protected by assuming the nonesclusive tag every year. The guarantees and assurances have value.

There is a lot about this you do not understand. Hell, there are things I don't as well. The difference is I acknowledge that instead of pretending to be all knowing. The only guarantee with a guy who claims to be all knowing is that he is not.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The OP is basically correct about cap space.

There will be a few questions on how correct you are about what positions are needed.

Whether a center is needed depends on how McGovern and Biadasz develop.

whether two DE’s are needed depend on how some of the young pups they have develop and what happens with Randy Gregory.

Yes, young players are going to need to step up or develop and draft picks will have to be hit.

It’s the same for just about every team though. You don’t win a championship in the modern NFL without rookies or young cheap players developing into contributors or starters while on their rookie deals.

there’s a few guys ripe for cutting too to save a million or two here and there.

all in all, the cowboys are in solid shape, all considered.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Looking for some clarity on roughly how much we have available to spend in 2021.

All your numbers are correct and there are a few cuts that can be made. Olawale is scheduled for 2MM and its doubtful they pay that. McCoy and Poe are multi year deals structured so Dallas can get out of them after one year, so if a guy like Gallimore takes their spot you save 4MM or 5MM if you cut one of them.

The short answer is that we can create as much room as we want by extending contracts. If you wanted to do it, you could convert the high salary guys into bonuses and create 50 Million in cap space. There will be six guys who are obvious candidates (Amari, DLaw, Martin, Elliot, Tyron and Lael Collins).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A starting LB to replace Lee, cover for LVE and hoping that Gifford develops
Dalton signs for how much?
Gregory - his money isnt included atm ....so add that on.
Smith - if he plays as before his ban is he really resigning for $2m.

And then you say If neither work out then we use a high pick or sign one in FA.

What have we just been talking about - we dont have the money to sign FA's (stop throwing away empty comments) ......sorry I forgot you're a WELL-KNOWN MEMBER.

Most of your concerns seem petty and inexpensive. And we do have plenty of money to fill those backup and minor starting roles.

And yah, we have a all our draft picks. Never heard anyone complain about backups before. At least we know things are getting good when someone is worried about backup linebackers.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Most of your concerns seem petty and inexpensive. And we do have plenty of money to fill those backup and minor starting roles.

And yah, we have a all our draft picks. Never heard anyone complain about backups before. At least we know things are getting good when someone is worried about backup linebackers.
More like he's trying to drill down people to see an "elephant in the room".

Techsass

Reaction score
There is a lot about this you do not understand. Hell, there are things I don't as well. The difference is I acknowledge that instead of pretending to be all knowing. The only guarantee with a guy who claims to be all knowing is that he is not.
While you might not be all knowing, you are well known.

Adreme

Reaction score
For the people who do not know what the cap will be, it can be pretty confidently stated the cap will not go down due to language in the CBA specifically put in their to avoid this scenario. What might happen is borrowing against future years on the cap in order to keep it flat but it will not go down.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I'm new to NFL finances, but cannot accept some posts that say that "we dont know"....every business has an an idea.

Using OVER THE CAP, this is what I think we've got (will have):

1) 2020 - we've under spent by $11.25m which can be carried over to 2021.

2) The CAP is calculated each March, based on 48% of certain NFL revenues.

3) Before the virus hit, OVER THE CAP calculated that there would be an increase of $17m in 2021 to $215m

4) Using these pre virus calculations, we only have $36m (plus whatever's carried over of the 2020 $11m).

5) Whilst some positions can possibly be filled in the draft, we are lacking:
- 2 Safeties
- 3 LB's (hoping Gifford develops)
- 2 CB's
-1 Center
- 2 DE's
-2 QB's

All out of the $47m........is that basically correct?

I appreciate the following but is it wishful thinking?
- Extend but aging contracts (Martin / Smith) until they're in the late 30,s
- Restructure bad contracts (guaranteeing money to DLaw/Zeke and Coops)
- Release bad contracts - cant happen in 2021 .... the cheapest would be Zeke (Dead Money = $13m)
- Deferred contracts to FA's - BUT ..... limited CAP Space (with increases) 2022 = $54m and 2023 = $84m (last in the NFL)

First off there are differences in the projected cap amounts, usually are higher than the actual cap amount from year to year when there isn't the issues they have this season.

Second the reason the cap isn't figured until march is the cap each year is figured on 100% of the sale of NFL merchandise for the previous league year that ends the first week of march. The cap is figured on that merchandise sales, the previous live gate sales the the amount they will receive for that coming year from TV contracts. I'm not sure where you got this 48% they figure the cap amount on from.

Third the Cowboys will not be able to carry over the entire 11.25 mil because teams are allowed to only carry over 5% of that years cap to the next year. If they have more than the 5% max by the end of the last week of the season that money over 5% is claimed by the league and then divided among the teams that didn't go over the 5% rule. That part I'm not sure when it is distributed.

Next when the cap first started the Cowboys were forced to restructure contracts that started a long cycle of restructuring contracts adding money onto the end that turned into dead money on the cap. they went through this cycle until about 4 years ago when they stopped doing that and they finally got to where they had little dead cap money and were able to use the vast majority of their cap signing players.. I seriously doubt that the Cowboys will fall back into restructuring contracts that end up adding money to the dead cap money and start that cycle all over again. Also today's contracts have more guaranteed money than those when the cap first started making it even less likely they will restructure contracts now.

Now I'm sure there are those that know more about the cap than me but this is what I have learned over the years.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I’m ok with skipping the season and going straight to the draft. Wouldn’t they just freeze the cap and contracts for a year or do the players get paid without a season.

Pretty sure your math is off with how many contracts you think need to be dished out, also you don’t take cuts into account. I do think some teams could get into trouble if the cap doesn’t grow or shrinks...that might be a fun shakeup.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I’m ok with skipping the season and going straight to the draft. Wouldn’t they just freeze the cap and contracts for a year or do the players get paid without a season.

Pretty sure your math is off with how many contracts you think need to be dished out, also you don’t take cuts into account. I do think some teams could get into trouble if the cap doesn’t grow or shrinks...that might be a fun shakeup.

I don't think anyone here knows for sure whether or not players would still get paid if the season were to be cancelled. My guess is unless the season is cancelled because of the players refusing to play then they wouldn't but if the decision came from the league and not because of the players I would think they would still have to pay those players. The problem would be if the season is cancelled, the vast majority of the cap money for this season comes from the TV contracts and the networks wouldn't be required to pay for 2020 season if there were no games to air. So this could end up being a big mess.

zerofill

Reaction score
Mahomes won't even cost as much as Dak ( will this year ) against the cap for a few years... lucky us.