Twitter: Cowboys closing on deal to keep Will McClay

fivetwos

Reaction score
Ireland was not horrible and it was actually Jimmy Johnson drinking buddy and best man at his wedding and the one who brought in Larry Lacewell, that did not get the job done. I will say it was fully on Jerry for staying with Lacewell
Yep.

Cant say I miss the days of drafting Colston Weatherington and Willie Blade....ETC!!!

We are a 12 win team that has a shot at a championship.

Almost all of our top players were draft picks.

Is he perfect? Nope, but it's pretty damn good if one takes a looks at the drafts of some other teams.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
He'd be stupid not to. I'd take it. It's a promotion.

Disagree, depending on the money. If he is paid as a GM, he gets the pay with added security and minimal scrutiny. When the Cowboys draft Taco Charlton, the Risen Stars of the Internet don't make posts about what a miss McClay had. They talk about how the Granter of Nicknames and CryptKeeper are killing this franchise each year.

McClay gets to be respected in league circles, run a scouting department, but defer final judgment to someone else who will take the heat without spreading any accountability. And every couple of years when there are 3-4 GM gigs open, he gets a significant raise to stay in that sweet spot.

Why would you leave that job to go to NY and get Gettlemen level scrutiny, all the while you STILL get the meddling of ownership. But there you are used as the Scrutiny Shield.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.

Cant say I miss the days of drafting Colston Weatherington and Willie Blade....ETC!!!

We are a 12 win team that has a shot at a championship.

Almost all of our top players were draft picks.

Is he perfect? Nope, but it's pretty damn good if one takes a looks at the drafts of some other teams.

Remember Peppi Zellner and Mike Ulufale?

quickccc

Reaction score
I think Jerry and Stephen trust McClay and value his views and opinion, The notion that all Jerry and Stephen want are yes men is a load of BS. This does not mean every move they make will be gold, teams miss on players and that is across the league but by and large looking at players brought in and in draft the Cowboys have brought a lot of quality talent to this team.

McClay has long reiterated that his family is very content and comfortable living in the DFW area, and that was very important for him.
Plus he's obviously very happy and content with being a huge part of the Dallas Cowboys organization.

- i'd be willing to bet several teams that are/were interested in him as a GM, have receive responses from McClay close source that he is not
interested and wanting to remain in the Cowboys front office.

- Once i heard about whispers and rumors that NFL teams reaching out to Wil McClay about role positions, i had a greater feeling that this would
eventually be shot down and become a non-factor.

- i just find it so odd that a man that is supposed to be so very vital to the franchise,.. is still not listed on the Dallas Cowboys official website.
What gives with that ?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
McClay has long reiterated that his family is very content and comfortable living in the DFW area, and that was very important for him.
Plus he's obviously very happy and content with being a huge part of the Dallas Cowboys organization.

- i'd be willing to bet several teams that are/were interested in him as a GM, have receive responses from McClay close source that he is not
interested and wanting to remain in the Cowboys front office.

- Once i heard about whispers and rumors that NFL teams reaching out to Wil McClay about role positions, i had a greater feeling that this would
eventually be shot down and become a non-factor.

- i just find it so odd that a man that is supposed to be so very vital to the franchise,.. is still not listed on the Dallas Cowboys official website.
What gives with that ?

The guy has an incredibly stable, well paying job in one of the more stable front offices in the league. If he wants to go chase the GM title to secure some legacy, more power to him. Not everyone has that sort of aspiration.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree, depending on the money. If he is paid as a GM, he gets the pay with added security and minimal scrutiny. When the Cowboys draft Taco Charlton, the Risen Stars of the Internet don't make posts about what a miss McClay had. They talk about how the Granter of Nicknames and CryptKeeper are killing this franchise each year.

McClay gets to be respected in league circles, run a scouting department, but defer final judgment to someone else who will take the heat without spreading any accountability. And every couple of years when there are 3-4 GM gigs open, he gets a significant raise to stay in that sweet spot.

Why would you leave that job to go to NY and get Gettlemen level scrutiny, all the while you STILL get the meddling of ownership. But there you are used as the Scrutiny Shield.

Well you're approaching it as gutless so that's why you disagree.

Taking the money out of it, if he becomes a GM of a team he will actually get to make decisions. All of the decisions. If he has confidence in himself he should expect to have great success. Greater than winning a bad division and a wild card game occasionally.

It's like saying an assistant coach should want to stay an assistant coach if he's paid like a head coach. That's weak.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
What gives with that ?

That is odd and noted that the entire scouting department isn’t listed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am sure he is getting paid handsomely for his services. :laugh:

GM in general get paid very handsomely for their service. Just my view, I don't see this chain of command that much different than the original Cowboys. Tex as GM but it was not Tex bringing in the talent and working deals on players that was Gil Brandt, now of course Tex had final say on deal but he trusted and relied very heavily on Gil Brandt. Of course great working relationship with Coach Landry. Today it is Jerry and Stephen who rely on McClay and his ability to work with HC

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I think that Will McClay can't make a single roster decision on this team. He needs others to make it for him. So he's not the GM.

I didn’t realize you were such a big fan of the Joneses’ work acquiring talent!

Jerry and Stephen must have attended a lot of online training courses since those disastrous years.