Twitter: Cowboys closing on deal to keep Will McClay

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Well you're approaching it as gutless so that's why you disagree.

Taking the money out of it, if he becomes a GM of a team he will actually get to make decisions. All of the decisions. If he has confidence in himself he should expect to have great success. Greater than winning a bad division and a wild card game occasionally.

It's like saying an assistant coach should want to stay an assistant coach if he's paid like a head coach. That's weak.

"Hey wife and kids. I'm going to uproot our family to go live in New Jersey for the same money we earn today. You can expect a smaller house, less vacations and stuff, because we'll be living in a place that costs a lot more than where we live today. The benefits to you are we will have TMZ reporters outside our house sometimes watching what we do, you'll see my name in the news papers as the GM of the team, your friends' dads will make offhand quips about the decisions I make on a daily basis and how they could do better (given their time playing flag football in between business trips in their mid twenties) and a decent likelihood that job will end in the coming 3-5 years unless I am TRULY better than other GMs in this league.

We're going to undergo this change to our lives, because I am really focused on having some extra paragraphs in my Wikipedia profile in the future. And in the off chance we win the Superbowl WHILE I am the GM, we'll get a lot of praise and probably a new contract for it. I understand that you will judge me completely as a human being, father and husband on this only decision, so if you think about it, I'm really just making this decision so you don't see me as gutless."

I love the "taking the money out of it" bit. Yeah - if you take a key premise from my argument, my argument changes. Go you.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't live in that fantasy land.

You're not a GM unless you are the final decision maker in personnel. Will McClay isn't even 2nd on that list. He's merely the top advisor to the real decision maker and his son.

This is true. But it's better to at least have McClay's voice in the room than not at all. I'd rather him have a more prominent role, but this is about as good as it will get for anyone as long as both Jerry and Stephen are living and own the team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You're not basically a GM if you have to run personnel decisions by a silver-spoon goof like Stephen Jones.
he is the GM without the title and its been a fact for the last 5years minimum. its why jerry giving th man a raise..to keep him here and its a smart move,.

he has the Joness full trust and his voice has been great influence. Note the great drafts of late.

mardwin

Reaction score

You're not a GM unless you are the final decision maker in personnel. Will McClay isn't even 2nd on that list. He's merely the top advisor to the real decision maker and his son.

He's the GM, Jerrah likes titles with all the heat that comes with them. McClay is the one assembling the roster.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He's the GM, Jerrah likes titles with all the heat that comes with them. McClay is the one assembling the roster.
it's a cumulative effort like all teams no one person makes all the decisions on rosters, fa, and the draft.

Motorola

Reaction score
Jerry loves McClay, Will loves the Jones and loves Dallas, they have a great working relationship...Never for a minute thought he would leave to be a General Manager somewhere else
Could see - after an NFL Championship (or two) Jerry Jones remaining the Owner - but stepping aside and have Stephen Jones become President - then Will McClay officially get the General Manager title of the Dallas Cowboys.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Love to see McClay staying, I guess he has no issues working for the Jones family

No one does. Jerry and his family, especially Jerry, are well liked by his staff, players and former players. Troy Aikman is about the only former player off the top of my head who doesn't care for him. That comes from the Jerry/Jimmy split. Everyone loves Jerry because he is a likable guy who's not a rich snob. He's known to take of his jacket, unbutton his shirt and walk down Bourbon Street partying with the common folks like us. He has an open door policy with his players and that drives people around nuts because they claim that undermines the coaches and it leads to a country club atmosphere.

I love that Will is staying, too. :flagwave:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I would imagine that the vast majority (maybe all) of the big money signings across the NFL get the blessing of the team owner. It's their money that the GM's are spending so they all have some degree of input. How hands on they are is team specific. You won't convince me that Clark Hunt didn't sign off on the Mahomes deal. Or that Laurie didn't ok the Wentz deal in Philly, etc. etc.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Charlotte has more say fellas. The Cowboys are a mom and pop organization.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In some regards, it is the perfect job if he gets top GM compensation for no accountability.

Not if he wants to really be a GM and not have to convince the owner every time he wants to do something.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes. That was obvious in that war room video two years ago when Stephen and Garrett wanted to trade and Jerry immediately overruled them while Will was refilling their drinks.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Not if he wants to really be a GM and not have to convince the owner every time he wants to do something.
unless he isnt that confident in his own ability to run the show and and enjoys the lack of accountability. There is a more likely chance of getting the boot in 3-4 years w/ the Jags or Giants than the Cowboys.

I would jump at the challenge, but some value money and anonymity more than fame and stress

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. A major move coming. You mean status quo with a bigger salary right? Major news would be a new GM. Or at least Stephen losing his seat.
Or, maybe posting without sarcasm....that would be ...major?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
:laugh:A major move would be making him GM. It’s all just window dressing til we get a real GM who can run personnel independent of Jones.